Why become a member? ×

EBMM Stingray 4 string weak G string question

artisan

Smashing indeed.

Funny enough my G string is perfectly in the centre of it's pole pieces. It does seem loud enough at the moment, in fact the low end sounds a bit weak compared to my sub but then the EQ is different so I expect that.

I've always hated how the G string can stand out Sometimes too much on my other basses in the past, maybe I'm just not used to hearing it a bit lower.

That does seem to be a common solution and one im hoping to use, and i like the fact that it warms the bass up a bit as well.

I have noticed that EQ makes a big difference. Over the past few nights ive been getting a much better level out of my G string, and it seems to be related to not backing the mids and treble off too much, and at the same time keeping the low end in check.

Still not played with the band yet so i dont know how it will sound but im feeling positive.

Another bump.
The Ray34 had its first gig on Sat and sounded very nice but the G was definitely lacking.

Ive put the Ray34 up for sale but also plan on getting a Nordy for it, probably next week. If it works out that's great and i might just keep it, if it sells im planing on putting the Nordy in my DD (well, maybe).

Edited by dave_bass5

Is the general consensus here that the Nordstrand is that much better than the Seymour Duncan pickup?

My G-string is sounding painfully weak at the mo, I'm playing a '06 30th Anniv Ray and it sounds absolutely immense, just lacking on the G...

im going to throw another curve ball here,
just a thought,
as already an on going talk here under "Technical issues"
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1324"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1324[/url]
some ways of trying removing dead spots,across the g string that have worked are truss rod tension, i wont repeat why read the above thred compleatly,
The one im thinking about is applying mass the the headstock, now this works,
if you have a weak g string ( yea yea funny funny) try placing the head on a bit of furniture whil playing,
hay presto gone, is that cus the trapped harmonic vibrations have an escape route ??
anyway with the stingray headstock being short or just by design maybe not enough mass to the headstock could this be why more stingrays suffer with this more than other makes of bass ? MMMMMMMMM
but then why would headless bass's work so well

iv talked myself into a corner here havent i,,,,, bugger

[quote name='funkgod' post='808201' date='Apr 16 2010, 11:22 AM']iv talked myself into a corner here havent i,,,,, bugger[/quote]

LOL, maybe.

I would also add then why does a Nordstrand also work to fix this issue? Especially as, while its not an identical tone, its supposed to follow the MM design.

Going back to the fingers vs pick difference. With fingers there seem to be more low freq, maybe these overpower the higher ones. A bit like turning the low knob up and getting the same weak sounding G sting. With pick playing the upper freqs come through more and i guess this helps the G cut through.
I have noticed that as long as i dont cut the mids or treble on my bass or amp and dont boost the lows too much i can hear the G string quite well. The problem seem to be mainly below the 5th fret in my case. Up the dusty end it seems to be fine.

And one more thing (the last, honest), this bass is the first ive owned where string volume seems to be very even. If i play (for example) a open D and a 5th fret A both seem to have the same amount of volume. Its like the fretted notes dont have an increase in level compared to the open strings. Its not a huge thing but it does make a nice difference to my other basses.

I would also add then why does a Nordstrand also work to fix this issue?

Good point,

DUCK ANOTHER CURVE BALL ON ITS WAY........

its already been said its just a frequency thing.
here is D'adaario's very handy chart showing the frequencys at notes
and string tensions per set,
[url="http://www.daddariostrings.com/Resources/JDCDAD/images/tension_chart.pdf"]http://www.daddariostrings.com/Resources/J...nsion_chart.pdf[/url]

now i play with fingers and i dont like a tight string tension i feel it kills my notes
i play using D'adaario's nickle wound 40, 60, 80, 100,
when i use a 50 on the G i get more problems
so to the point.... a tension thing per freq ????
mmmmmmmmm
just a thought............

And back at ya with why only a MM and not a P (as an example), in fact the only other bass ive found this to be a problem on was my Sub (there's a connection there somewhere ;-)

Ive got XLs on both my basses and even though i have a .50 G on the MM my .45 G on my P is loud and clear, all the way up the neck.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='artisan' post='808551' date='Apr 16 2010, 04:06 PM']it's just a sh*te pickup thing imho.
i spent ages mucking about with strings & e.q. settings all to no avail.
bung a Nordy in & you'll love it Dave :)[/quote]

Thanks.

Im in the process of getting hold of a second hand one so hopefully it will do the trick.

Im not even sure ill keep the Ray34 for long but if i do get rid of it ill hang on to the Nordy as i really want to stick with a MM.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='808562' date='Apr 16 2010, 04:12 PM']Thanks.

Im in the process of getting hold of a second hand one so hopefully it will do the trick.

Im not even sure ill keep the Ray34 for long but if i do get rid of it ill hang on to the Nordy as i really want to stick with a MM.[/quote]

good man.
i'm shure you'll be well impressed with it,i almost sold my 'Ray before getting the Nordy fitted,am just glad i didn't.

[quote name='artisan' post='808582' date='Apr 16 2010, 04:26 PM']good man.
i'm shure you'll be well impressed with it,i almost sold my 'Ray before getting the Nordy fitted,am just glad i didn't.[/quote]

Ill let you know how it goes.

Im planning on using my DD this weekend and dont have a gig next week so plenty of time to get things sorted out.

Im still finding the neck/string spacing a bit of a handful, thats the only reason i might get rid of the Ray34 but i think it will probably stay.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='artisan' post='808551' date='Apr 16 2010, 04:06 PM']it's just a sh*te pickup thing imho.
i spent ages mucking about with strings & e.q. settings all to no avail.
bung a Nordy in & you'll love it Dave :)[/quote]

What kind of sound does the Nord give you? I've heard the Seymour Duncan is pretty faithful to the original MM tone, I don't want to sacrifice that just to get more volume out the G string? I've got a 2006 30th Anni Ray which sounds immense apart from the faint G string...

[quote name='Clarky72' post='808626' date='Apr 16 2010, 04:59 PM']What kind of sound does the Nord give you? I've heard the Seymour Duncan is pretty faithful to the original MM tone, I don't want to sacrifice that just to get more volume out the G string? I've got a 2006 30th Anni Ray which sounds immense apart from the faint G string...[/quote]

I can post some sound samples later.

[quote]The one im thinking about is applying mass the the headstock,[/quote]

I have a 'fat-finger', and it didn't seem to make that much difference.

I'll try recording both... :-)

[quote name='Clarky72' post='808626' date='Apr 16 2010, 04:59 PM']What kind of sound does the Nord give you? I've heard the Seymour Duncan is pretty faithful to the original MM tone, I don't want to sacrifice that just to get more volume out the G string? I've got a 2006 30th Anni Ray which sounds immense apart from the faint G string...[/quote]

sorry for the late reply mate.

Nordstrand say they copied the exact specs of a pre EB pickup
[url="http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass-pickups/index.shtml"]http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass-pickups/index.shtml[/url]

sound wise i'm a very happy chappie,massive improvment over stock item with more punch & less zing.
i can recomend it very highly, even my tech was impressed & he's a right morky git :)

mines being posted today so i might try and put it in at the weekend (still trying to sell the bass though).

I find it a bit confusing that Nordstrand have copied the MM pup yet they have produced something that sounds different, and different enough to change the tone or volume of the G string.

Here's hoping.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='812475' date='Apr 20 2010, 12:50 PM']mines being posted today so i might try and put it in at the weekend (still trying to sell the bass though).

I find it a bit confusing that Nordstrand have copied the MM pup yet they have produced something that sounds different, and different enough to change the tone or volume of the G string.

Here's hoping.[/quote]

hi Dave,don't forget it's the early pre EB pickup they've copied & i've never heard anyone complain about the sound of the early 'rays,i think it's just the modern ones that can be a problem.

as for your bass, i really would hang on to it if i were you as i think you'll really like it with the Nordy fitted.

Thanks for the heads up about the pup.
To be honest im not bothered if i do sell it or not, i can already live with it and i expect it will be even nicer with the Nordy in it.
In fact i really like the colour of this one, and ive yet to see a SR4 with matching headstock that i could afford so i guess i should hang on to it.

Its more that ive put my Duck Dunn up in a add for a possible trade for a SR4 SLO or Sterling (not that im likely to get either) as im still after a better, or more comfortable neck. Its really a last ditch attempt before i do decide to keep the Ray34.
Im finding im now using it all the time and while its a great bass i cant help feel there is something just that bit better out there.

Anyway, im sure ill end up keeping both for now. And if i was to ever sell the Ray34 in the future i think i would hang on to the Nordy, assuming it does fix the G issue.

Well the Nordy is in.
Im not sure if i wired it correctly but its working. I cant say for sure but im not convinced there is any difference in the G string.
So far only played through my Korg Pandora and Guitar rig but as i normally do play through these i can get a pretty good idea.

If anything i would say it might be a bit thinner but that might just be my imagination.

The pup came with more wires than the original, so i put the black and red together and wired them to ground, and the others together and wired them to the circuit board. The old pup only had two wires. I was a bit surprised when i saw what i had to solder to, it was a bit tricky but i hope it will hold.
Im sure its right but if anyone has any other thoughts lets hear them. I did email Carey on wed but not heard back form him.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='816735' date='Apr 23 2010, 10:39 PM']Well the Nordy is in.
Im not sure if i wired it correctly but its working. I cant say for sure but im not convinced there is any difference in the G string.
So far only played through my Korg Pandora and Guitar rig but as i normally do play through these i can get a pretty good idea.

If anything i would say it might be a bit thinner but that might just be my imagination.

The pup came with more wires than the original, so i put the black and red together and wired them to ground, and the others together and wired them to the circuit board. The old pup only had two wires. I was a bit surprised when i saw what i had to solder to, it was a bit tricky but i hope it will hold.
Im sure its right but if anyone has any other thoughts lets hear them. I did email Carey on wed but not heard back form him.[/quote]

hi Dave,the extra wires are so you can wire it in parrallel (standard) or series.
my tech wired mine in series as i wanted the extra punch,which i got.(i've just been looking for the wiring instructions that came with the pup but can't find them anywhere--sorry)
i've definately got very even volume accross all strings,maybee you'll notice it in a full band practice situation.

if you're not happy with it i'll swap you for my BTB :)

[quote name='artisan' post='817067' date='Apr 24 2010, 11:05 AM']hi Dave,the extra wires are so you can wire it in parrallel (standard) or series.
my tech wired mine in series as i wanted the extra punch,which i got.(i've just been looking for the wiring instructions that came with the pup but can't find them anywhere--sorry)
i've definately got very even volume accross all strings,maybee you'll notice it in a full band practice situation.

if you're not happy with it i'll swap you for my BTB :)[/quote]

Cheers.
Its not that im not happy with it, im just still not convinced ive wired it right. I realise what the extra wires are for but can find no actual wiring diagram showing what goes where. I think the Nordy instructions say something along the lines of just duplicate the original wiring. Not much help as there are a lot more wires.
I had a look at the Seymour Duncan wiring chart and its showing the reverse of how i did it.

The balance is pretty even, if anything the E is a bit quieter but thats fine, ill need ot mess around with the pup height a bit.

So i would say its a different tone but still one i like. Im going to hold on to the MM pup, i might find i want to put it back in at some point. And if i do get a SR4 i might put the Nordy in that if needed.

Ill need to play it a bit more but im sure its going to be fine.

Thanks for your help.