Why become a member? ×

Can't afford a badass....

cameltoe

Are there any recommended bridge conversions for a precision that don't cost a lot? I can see a lot of cheap replacement bridges on eBay, but I've no idea what's good and what's chaff. I play with my fingers mainly, so ideally I'd like a bit more attack. The badass bridge has sharp angled saddles which it claims increases attack and tone, and that sounds like what I'm after, but they're £80-odd if you can find them. I had heard Gotoh mentioned, but really there's that many £10-15 bridges on eBay I'm hoping I can find something to do the job on the cheap. I would like a bit more mass in the bridge, as it's Mexican hence thru bridge stringing, and (if I listen to Leo quan) I guess I'm after a sharper surface for the strings than the rounded barrels of the fender bridge.

Any suggestions? Cheers!

I've got two precisions. One wth the bent bit of tin and one with a badass II.
I prefer the BBOT for 'attack'. I truth there's not a noticeable difference.
I'm not sure its worth shelling out if you're on a budget. Strings seem to be the thing that affects this sort of thing most in my experience.
How about a Wilkinson with brass saddles if you really want a new bridge?

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='754711' date='Feb 23 2010, 10:13 AM']I prefer the BBOT for 'attack'. I truth there's not a noticeable difference.
I'm not sure its worth shelling out if you're on a budget. Strings seem to be the thing that affects this sort of thing most in my experience.[/quote]
+1

'Sound per pound' a new bridge is way down the list. I'd try strings first - it always astonishes me how so many players will throw stacks of 'improvements' at their basses yet still keep their crusty old strings - present company excluded of course :) A high mass bridge [i]can[/i] make some difference but as Public Enemy says, "Don't Believe Da Hype!"

Schaller 3D. Better looking, better made, more adjustable and more compact than a BAII and you can pick them up used for £25 or less.

You will have to drill 3 new holes, but the base plate has pilot holes which match the 2 of original Fender ones, to line it up precisely.

Edit - 3Ds aren't string-through. Sorry! :blush:

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

Ok guys good advice! I was always skeptical how much difference a bridge would make but sooooo many people seem to change them.... plus the Badasses sell so well new, second hand, etc etc.

I'm (usually) pretty good at changing my strings regularly, but because it's such a gradual thing with bass strings I often go a few weeks longer than I should. Worn strings kinda creep up on me by surprise!

Going to be going down the Wizard Thumper route by the looks of it too, so hopefully that'll add some colour to the sound.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='754995' date='Feb 23 2010, 01:38 PM']I'm very happy with my Thumper.[/quote]

That's good to know. The description of the pickup sounds what I'm after, but I think sometimes Pickup manufacturers have just as hard a time describing the sound the pickup will give, as I have describing what I want it to do.

Did you upgrade the pots and wiring with it?

[quote name='cameltoe' post='755191' date='Feb 23 2010, 04:58 PM']Did you upgrade the pots and wiring with it?[/quote]

I got rid of the (pointless) S1 pot and put a CTS one on. All standard apart from that.

Just got a bit more welly everywhere than the standard MIA Fender pickup. I don't need/want versatility. Just a good 'core' sound....

[quote name='Bassassin' post='754776' date='Feb 23 2010, 10:28 AM']Schaller 3D. Better looking, better made, more adjustable and more compact than a BAII and you can pick them up used for £25 or less.

You will have to drill 3 new holes, but the base plate has pilot holes which match the 2 of original Fender ones, to line it up precisely.

Edit - 3Ds aren't string-through. Sorry! :blush:

Jon.[/quote]

Better looking?, better Made? more adjustable yes, more compact?. Had one on my Ric for years, used to wind me up every string change as it adjusts while you withdraw or replace strings and all this adjustment means more moving parts taking it sonically further away. Replaced it for a Badass 1 and it was like night and day superior especially sustain.

Get a Badass on US ebay, job done.