Why become a member? ×

Bass Big Muff vs Russian Big Muff

dumelow

I've had a black Russian BM and I've got a Bass BM. I guess that tells you which I prefer! With the Bass BM, the Bass Boost mode is simply incredible in terms of the bottom end it kicks out, and it sounds great [i]on its own[/i] or against a drummer.

HOWEVER... I still massively prefer the Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B in a band context with dirty guitars. It's based around a kind of Big-Muff-ish sound but without the mid-scoop that's present on Big Muffs, so you can retain real presence in a band. Loads of bottom and a decent clean blend. Of course, it's about 3 or 4 times the price of a Bass Big Muff.

I think there are vastly different sounding black Russian muffs, going by what people say about them. Mine has tons of low end and is the best sounding muff i've had, if not the most practical due to powering issues and the size of the thing.

I modded it to accept a boss-style plug but still have to use a polarity reverse cable as it's C+ve, i think you still have to use a seperate power supply due to earthing issues?

I use a ZVex Mastotron as it still has the great sound and retains bass but is about a 3rd of the size

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='751781' date='Feb 20 2010, 01:57 PM']I think there are vastly different sounding black Russian muffs, going by what people say about them.[/quote]
IME, that's true of a lot of Electro-Harmonix pedals. I've had two NYC Big Muffs set up to A/B, and they were noticeably different. I think they have quite wide tolerances in component values, so some pedals have "it" and some don't.