Why become a member? ×

A couple of new projects

henry norton

I've only recently broken of my 23 year affair with Leo Fender's basses, (with an Epiphone EB-0), and I'm now going all Gibson :rolleyes:

Here's a couple of new projects I'm working on ATM. The body on the left is my take on a non reverse Thunderbird but hopefully better balanced (even with a 35" scale) and the other one is a 31" scale based on the early EB-0 but with a longer top horn and more neck support. I've got to chip away at them in my spare time (from building Fender style necks :) ), but will hopefully have a couple of playable prototypes fairly soon.

[quote name='henry norton' post='750893' date='Feb 19 2010, 01:46 PM']I've only recently broken of my 23 year affair with Leo Fender's basses, (with an Epiphone EB-0)[/quote]

I've just done exactly the same thing. Although I am sorting of missing a p bass already!

Nice body shapes!

Thanks for the comments - I am a bit worried about the Jazzmaster similarities, but hopefully it'll look a bit more T.Birdish once the scratchplate and hardware goes on. I've made the two bodies out of some Douglas I had kicking around but will probably be making the real things from Lime (basswood) or maybe Mahogany (depending on finish, tone and possible balance problems). I just want to make sure everything fits first! The necks for both are mahogany with a maple centre stripe.

The T.Bird will have chrome Hipshot hardware, a maple board (a not towards Entwistles Fenderbirds) and EMG DC humbuckers running 18 volts with chrome covers and possibly some active tone controls, a set neck, all finished in cream with a white scratchplate.

The Eb will have a DiMarzio model 1 and a Schaller HB, a rosewood board and a TV butterscotch finish with a black scratchplate and chrome hipshot hardware and a set neck again. I'll be trying series/parallel switching to get a bit more out of the pickups. Anyway, I've a way to go before I get to the fittings stage so watch this space....

Edited by henry norton

[quote name='bassjase128' post='763840' date='Mar 4 2010, 01:28 PM']Hi there,

Looking good so far, keep us posted. I will be starting a similar project shortly.
I love the shapes.

Jase[/quote]
Thanks for the comments Jase - I'm going to try and do a bit more today if I get some spare time. Are you making a T.Bird or an EB type?

• 2 weeks later...

Got all the general layout, angles etc. sorted for the short scale now. I'll be making the 'proper' body out of mahogany now I'm happy everything fits.

I've been thinking about profiling the back, Strat style, but I'm not sure about the front. What do you (collective Basschatters) think?

[quote name='henry norton' post='775460' date='Mar 15 2010, 06:54 PM']Got all the general layout, angles etc. sorted for the short scale now. I'll be making the 'proper' body out of mahogany now I'm happy everything fits.

I've been thinking about profiling the back, Strat style, but I'm not sure about the front. What do you (collective Basschatters) think?[/quote]
COME ON!!! Someone must have an opinion. Strat style profile on the front or not???????????

[quote name='henry norton' post='777707' date='Mar 17 2010, 05:30 PM']COME ON!!! Someone must have an opinion. Strat style profile on the front or not???????????[/quote]

I would contour the back, but leave the front a bit more slab like, unless you go for the kinda angular contouring that you get on SGs...

Eude

Thanks for the replies - I'm going for a contour on the back but flat on the front with just a small rad, like a Les Paul Junior. I don't know about binding on this one but I was thinking of doing another bass this shape with a carved maple top a-la PRS (along with a pair of Rio Grande Pit Bulls), so maybe binding will go nicely with that.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='818887' date='Apr 26 2010, 10:04 AM']Archtops?[/quote]
Ahhh, I'm thinking along the lines of a PRS style carved top and an alternative (cheaper) slab bodied version.

As for real arch tops;

The humble beginnings of a laminated semi hollow/thinline bass in same vein as the EB-2 & Starfire. But that's for another thread....

[quote name='cheddatom' post='822763' date='Apr 29 2010, 11:12 AM']I really like your designs[/quote]
Thanks! I think there's a big, relatively untapped middle ground between the high end/way out luthier stuff and bog standard Fender derivatives. [i]I[/i] can't find much out there anyway so I thought I'd have a go at filling the gap myself.

I'll keep posting...

• 1 month later...

Right! I can't believe it's taken me this long (only like 4 months...) just to rout a mortice for the neck on the Reverse T.Bird type bass. Anyway, it gives a much clearer idea of the profile now the neck's sitting properly. Now all I've got to do is get on with the rest of it :)

Edited by henry norton

• 2 years later...

4 months! Well, 2.5 years down the line I've finally found a bit of time (I'm waiting on some finishing experiments on Dave's (Rumple's) Fretless maple Jazz), to get on with some prototypes started literally years ago. Most of the heavy woodwork is done now and I'm looking forward to moving them forward to the fixtures and fittings stage.
So far they balance well and even the Thunderbird-esque long scale feels light and comfortable. Watch this space....

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1268847002' post='777707']
COME ON!!! Someone must have an opinion. Strat style profile on the front or not???????????
[/quote]
I'd be tempted to go for it. I find the "slabness" of the EB0 a little uncomfortable on the forearm.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1343115677' post='1745288']
sorry, just realised how old the question was.

:unsure:
[/quote]

No worries, it's nice you're taking an interest ;) I'll probably try a back cutout but still don't know whether a front chamfer will look a bit out of place. I understand the slab bodied Gibson's can feel a bit, well, slabby.....