Why become a member? ×

Fender '75 Reissue Jazz

retroman

I was torn between one of these and the Lakland Daryl Jones.
Tried a few of both. Nothing really varied on the Laklands unlike the Fenders. I also found the Japanese reissues to be considerably weightier.
Ended up with Lake Placid Blue, matching headstock, rosewood board and pearl inlays on my beautiful Lakky.
Plays like a dream.

[quote name='karlfer' post='747986' date='Feb 17 2010, 07:47 AM']I was torn between one of these and the Lakland Daryl Jones.
Tried a few of both. Nothing really varied on the Laklands unlike the Fenders. I also found the Japanese reissues to be considerably weightier.
Ended up with Lake Placid Blue, matching headstock, rosewood board and pearl inlays on my beautiful Lakky.
Plays like a dream.[/quote]

The Lakland are undoubtedly lovely basses but all three I looked at weighed between 1 and 2 lbs more than my US 75 reissue jazz?

Work that one out. And I weigh using fishermans scales which are reasonably accurate - unlike the method of holding the bass while standing on the bathroom scales. :)

I love the smaller body size on the Laklands.

Frank

[quote name='machinehead' post='748329' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:44 PM']The Lakland are undoubtedly lovely basses but all three I looked at weighed between 1 and 2 lbs more than my US 75 reissue jazz?

Work that one out. And I weigh using fishermans scales which are reasonably accurate - unlike the method of holding the bass while standing on the bathroom scales. :)

I love the smaller body size on the Laklands.

Frank[/quote]

My MIA 75 Jazz is much lighter than the Darryl Jones I had. I think the DJ weighed about 10lbs from memory and the Duck Dunn was 9lbs. My MIA 75 Jazz feels light and well balanced. Saying that I am thinking about selling the 75 Jazz and going back to a Daryll Jones for some very weird reason.

[quote name='retroman' post='745936' date='Feb 15 2010, 03:08 PM']Thanks Chaps :)

The radius of the board doesn't put me off too much. I have a Squier Jazz, that has quite a heavily radius on the board, and that chokes quite easily when bending a string.

Never realised that the CIJ versions were heavier. The main thing that puts me off the Jap basses is the resale value seems to be pretty poor, considering that the retail on a new one seems to be around £1K now. A well looked after MIA seems to hold it's value really well, and I keep all my gear minty mint :rolleyes: I'm not doubting the build quality of the CIJ, I've heard nothing but positive comments about them :lol:[/quote]
Watch out for slight offset bridges, making the G string a bit close to the edge of the neck. I had an 75 jazz back then and most seemed to have the same problem. I notice on the reissues I've seen, they have the same "problem". Maybe some like this, but I was forever pulling the string off the side of the neck.

Thanks Chaps :rolleyes:

Interesting about the offset bridge problem. Would probably work in my favour, as on my Ricky, I have a tendancy to push the E string off the edge of the board! :)

If I see a '75 Reissue in a shop, I'm definately going to be trying it out.

Thanks All, for the advice :lol: