Why become a member? ×

Fender '75 Reissue Jazz

retroman

I've got a 75 in lake placid blue, rosewood, matching head - a limited run from 2002/02. It's great, my main bass now. Wouldn't mind a natural/maple one too with the black blocks and binding.

I have a Marcus Miller too, so, you could say i'd reccomend that type of Jazz.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='744327' date='Feb 13 2010, 09:12 PM']I've got a 75 in lake placid blue, rosewood, matching head - a limited run from 2002/02. It's great, my main bass now. Wouldn't mind a natural/maple one too with the black blocks and binding.

I have a Marcus Miller too, so, you could say i'd reccomend that type of Jazz.[/quote]

bit of topic, but what do you think of the marcus miller? I'm thinking of getting one - anything I should change or to be wary of? :)

just try a couple, the newer ones vary a fair bit in weight.
The treble on the preamp is a bit overbearing sometimes...
I am planning on having something done to mine, been debating a respray or something...
Also, the active/passive switch doesn't mean that if the battery fails you can carry on, it isnt a bypass switch but, how often does that happen?

I have the MIA 75 re-issue in natural with black block inlays and black binding. It is probably the easiest, nicest bass I have ever played. It is so effortless and dreamy to play. I just never have to think, my hands just go where they should. Everything about it in terms of weight, neck profile, balance is perfect. I have been thinking about selling it and was about to advertise it tonight but I thought I would give it a clean and re-string in case anyone wanted to trial it first. However, now I have just done that, after playing it, I'm in love again and can't bring myself to sell. They are just perfect. I would say the tone is quite fat and retro but still very nice.

The US series '75 RI is essentially a really nice bass (I can't comment about about non US versions). I've heard tales of a few dodgy ones out there but generally they are an all round quality bass from the current Fender range. Look really nice, feel great, excellent necks & a really usable sound without any nasty tonal extremes.

Hi,
I'd second all the above - bought an American '75 reissue with rosewood board last year and it does exactly what everyone says: bright, punchy, easy to play, excellent for slap, funky fingerstyle, well made, etc.
I would just say that I think the rosewood looks amazing, and the pearl inlays look much better than the black block inlays on the maple, BUT if I was buying again I would get the maple board. I think the brighter sound from it complements better what the bass is all about. I don't understand why they didn't use the pearl inlays on the maple board like they do with the MIJ '75 reissue as they look way better (IMO).
Anyway, I've now got a non-identicle twin MM so it's all good!
A.

[attachment=42557:DSC00014.JPG]

I've played a couple and the necks feel really nice. I would say it essential that you get one with a tight fitting neck (no gap in the neck pocket) as being a three bolt neck join it could be 'knocked' out of alignment. People claimed the three bolt system an inferior design, but my Stingray has this system which has a tightly fitting neck and I've had no issues since I bought her in '79.

I've got a USA 75 Re-issue..... My only bass !

It's from 1998 where they did finishes other than Natural - This ones a Sunburst/Maple/Black block & bound

It's got a 1 piece body (bit unusual) and is built really well (custom shop standard) Weight is on the lighter side of the Fender Jazz spectrum

Sounds like a good 70's jazz should and set up perfectly.....

Being 12 years old it's starting to get some "vintageness" of it's own and has a lovely aged look to the maple neck & board

Job done !

Yeah, there does seem to be a real buzz with the vintage Fender thang at the moment :lol:

Main thing that concerns me is build quality. Don't want to end up with a dog!! :)

As my user name suggests, I really dig anything with an old skool vibe to it. Have to admit, to be different, I am also considering saving the pennies for a Zon. Don't see many of those about! The build quality of Zon's seems to be impeccable, which really interests me :lol:

Then again, there's something uber cool about a '70's Jazz, with the ash trays, and big block markers :rolleyes: I really like the feel of Jazz necks as well.

[quote name='retroman' post='745759' date='Feb 15 2010, 12:32 PM']Yeah, there does seem to be a real buzz with the vintage Fender thang at the moment :lol:

Main thing that concerns me is build quality. Don't want to end up with a dog!! :)

As my user name suggests, I really dig anything with an old skool vibe to it. Have to admit, to be different, I am also considering saving the pennies for a Zon. Don't see many of those about! The build quality of Zon's seems to be impeccable, which really interests me :lol:

Then again, there's something uber cool about a '70's Jazz, with the ash trays, and big block markers :rolleyes: I really like the feel of Jazz necks as well.[/quote]

My MIA 75 Jazz play beautifully. I can't fault it.

I recently sold a lovely one exactly as you describe. It weighed less than 8lbs, fit and finish was the best I've seen on any Fender, new or old, and it sounded fabulous (shame I just can't get on with 4-stringers!). I've played a few others at the Gallery, all with maple boards. They were all very high quality too. I've tried the odd CIJ and whilst the build quality was excellent they were much heavier. Only point to bear in mind is that due to the steep camber of the board you can't really bend strings - they choke pretty quickly. Not a big deal (and not a fault - it is correct for the period), but worth mentioning.

[quote name='XB26354' post='745815' date='Feb 15 2010, 01:21 PM']I've tried the odd CIJ and whilst the build quality was excellent they were much heavier.[/quote]

The weight of my Japanese '75 RI is the only bad comment I can make about it.

I'd love to get an American one as well.

My CIJ is quite heavy too, otherwise it's a great bass. Just too bad the bridge pickup isn't in the proper 70's position, unlike the MIM Classic Series 70's Jazz and the American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass. It gets you very close to that 70's vibe though :). If it's of any help (probably not to the TS, as he spefically mentioned he's looking for an MIA), I've written a review on mine on leftybassist.com:

[url="http://www.leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1439"]http://www.leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1439[/url]

Thanks Chaps :)

The radius of the board doesn't put me off too much. I have a Squier Jazz, that has quite a heavily radius on the board, and that chokes quite easily when bending a string.

Never realised that the CIJ versions were heavier. The main thing that puts me off the Jap basses is the resale value seems to be pretty poor, considering that the retail on a new one seems to be around £1K now. A well looked after MIA seems to hold it's value really well, and I keep all my gear minty mint :rolleyes: I'm not doubting the build quality of the CIJ, I've heard nothing but positive comments about them :lol:

I've got a natural MIA '75 reissue. Not sure what the year of manufacturer is - either 2007 or 2008.

Went into a music shop looking for a Ric and there were non available so picked t it up had a noodle and walked out with it half an hour later. That was April 2008. Still got it and not had a single problem with it.
Palys beautifully, sounds amazing, feels amazing, looks amazing.

Last week I put a Badass II bridge on but that was more out of curiosity to see what all the fuss is about.

Since I bought it this has been the bass I sue for everything, recording, gigging, practicing.

You can't go far wrong with one of these. May end up buying another Jazz as a back up bass.

Every MIA 75RI I've tried has been excellent build quality. Mine is from '99 and was originally black.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TWM7WRrp2g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TWM7WRrp2g[/url]

I had one of the pickups go O/C and replaced the pair with custom wound Wizards.

Mine is very lightweight but I have tried a few heavyish ones