Why become a member? ×

Feeler - Shuker/Parts Jazz bass

Sibob

So since taking this bass out of long-term Drop C tuning, back into standard, I haven't really been gelling with it.

The original build thread is here, with final pictures on Page 3:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11502&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11502&st=0[/url]

First of all I will say, and some of you may know from the related thread, that this bass has had a truss rod repair. I over-adjusted the original and it gave up, so it went back to Jon Shuker for repair and it's all fine now.
I could spend time changing pickups, bridges etc etc to get it to click with me, but when I have my MIA jazz that does it instantly, I'm left just wanting another bass like that haha.

Anyway, a brief spec is:
-Refinished MIA Jazz body, nitrocellulose finish
-Shuker Jazz 21 fret neck - Rock maple, Birdseye maple fingerboard, black binding, graphite reinforced, medium-jumbo frets
-Hipshot Ultralite tuners
-Badass II Bridge
-Dimarzio UltraJazz pickups
-Stack knob controls (vol/tone & vol/tone) with pickup switch (neck/both/bridge)

[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]
[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]

There are some pits and indiscrepancies in the body fom the original condition of the body (first post of the build thread), but most have been sanded out as best as possible, I don't think I can capture them on camera, but can try if neceesary. There are also four smal screw holes surrounding the bridge pickup that haven't been filled, probably from a pickup surround on the bodies previous incarnation.

I won't part this out!
I think around £400 would represent the work and parts that have gone into this :)
I'm also after a fairly specific trade, an American S1 Jazz Standard with Rosewood fingerboard.

Thats a hefty post for a feeler lol

Si

I was at Si's covers gig last night and heard this bass. He was playing through an Ashdown and the tone was rich and warm with a bit of slightly hollow sprang and growl going on. Good and even response over all the strings and it sounded really nice, to my ears. A bit like a Stingray without the massive, dominant bottom end. I imagine it has a really good slap tone although thankfully you resisted temptation :lol:

I got a good feel for the sound of this bass, because if you've seen Si play, he's all over the neck, I think I probably heard every string on every fret :rolleyes: You are one hell of a bassist mate :)

That a fair appraisal, Si?

Cheers very much for that Silddx, and was cool to meet you!
Although now I feel that I over-play haha, hopefully it was all tasteful and appropriate! :)

But yeah, that's a decent summary of the bass's tone!, my personal problem with it is one of those things that you can't put your fingers on. I used it a lot when it was in Drop C, but that is because it was serving a very different purpose, now it has direct competition/comparison with my MIA Jazz. I'm just not feeling it.

Si

[quote name='Toasted' post='744598' date='Feb 14 2010, 10:23 AM']Have a free bump on me, oh and -

5. You must state a price for your item. Anything without a price clearly stated will be subject to removal.[/quote]

It's a trade thread :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='744664' date='Feb 14 2010, 11:55 AM']It's a trade thread :)

Si[/quote]

Oh, that's okay then, although "Ummmm, not really sure on price, I'll have a think about a straight sale" could easily lead one to suppose that wasn't the case.

You should edit that from your OPost or state a price. Then we'll all know where we stand, otherwise you give the [i]appearance [/i] that there's one rule (usually complied with or rigidly enforced) for the plebs and another rule for the Mods. And I know you wouldn't want that... :rolleyes:

"Feeler - Shuker/Parts Jazz bass, Black/Black/Maple - For Trade - MIA Rosewood Jazz?"

I think that makes the point well enough.

" "Ummmm, not really sure on price, I'll have a think about a straight sale but a trade would be the most ideal situation for me."

Says to me he isn't interested in a sale and will put a price if that situation changes.

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='748504' date='Feb 17 2010, 02:38 PM']is there any chance you might sell for cash, if so, how much would you be looking at?[/quote]
I've now bumped the thread with a £400 price, but reserve the right to bottle out haha

[quote name='andy67' post='748583' date='Feb 17 2010, 03:57 PM']Is it expensive to get a custom neck made by John Shuker?

It looks absolutely stunning - I may need some time alone!! :)

andy[/quote]

This neck cost me £220, but thats with Birdseye fingerboard and binding options. So would be slightly less without those, but more if you wanted say block inlays, fancy wood neck, more frets, mult-laminate constructon etc etc

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='749866' date='Feb 18 2010, 03:36 PM']I've now bumped the thread with a £400 price, but reserve the right to bottle out haha

This neck cost me £220, but thats with Birdseye fingerboard and binding options. So would be slightly less without those, but more if you wanted say block inlays, fancy wood neck, more frets, mult-laminate constructon etc etc

Si[/quote]

That is superb! :rolleyes: :)

Looks like a wee call to Jon is in order!

cheers

andy

PM's replied to :).

I can't really tell you why I keep coming back to my MIA Jazz, a completely stock Jazz I might add.
I can't put my finger on it, the sound of it, the way the neck feels, everything just comes together and I relax when I play it.....tis an odd one. The only other bass that I've ever played that I've had anything near that has been my '73 Jazz, but even then I'll still pick up my MIA 80% of the time.
Although to be fair, the '73 needs a refret and new strings, so its not fair comparison haha!

Anyway, yeah, this is getting more interest than I anticipated, I'm gonna play it tonight at my gig (the whole gig, as opposed to a few songs, cave in and pick my MIA up), and makle a decision!

Funx
Si