Why become a member? ×

Bose L1 system

phsycoandy

The cute response is B.uy O.ther S.ound E.quipment...however we've rehearsed with one (just vocs, guitar, bass and electronic drums and it sounded OK in a smallish room at low volumes. This PA was owned by a drummer we auditioned, he got it for £1600 with all the Bass additions as well. If you don't want to lug loads of heavy gear around then it may be an option: I read some opposing views on Talkbass, I guess it's a 'Marmite' product? I'm sure there will be someone along soon who says "that to get good bass response you need to shift air" and how much air does a 3" woofer shift....?

Oh and I mean to say, if you want something small but powerful try a HK 2k rig, we have the 600w version and it suits us and the venues/type of music we play.

Edited by yorks5stringer

I researched the Bose system a while back and even the guy who worked in the shop flogging them (I've known him many years through various Music shops) said that they were fine/good for small 'cafe' style gigs but there were far better systems out there for similar money. One consideration is that the guy also advised me that you needed a minimum of two of the Bose subs to go with each column... starts getting even pricier! In summary great if you are in a small, acoustic style band but less impressive for other environments/bands

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='742843' date='Feb 12 2010, 09:50 AM']Thanks for varying advice, which is I guess what I expected.

So what then for a [u]compact[/u] [u]powerful[/u] [u]easy transportable[/u] system, for a covers band. up to about £750?[/quote]

Assuming you are wanting 1k-2k of power and you are looking at quality components, as opposed to stuff like Behringer (apologies to Behringer users), you can probably get 2 out of 3 for that budget but you'll have to look really hard to achieve all 3!

We went for a 'used' active RCF system (a pair of 1x12 750w tops + a single 1000w bass bin) and it cost us £1750... not cheap but stunningly good! Even then the bass bin isn't a one-man carry. :)

Bose stuff is OK at best for the smaller gigs. I play with a (moderately loud) band now and again who have them. The main advantage of them is that they are small and fit on the back seat of a car. I'm not convinced they do exactly what Bose claim, but you know, they are OK.

Having said that, if you are expecting the same peformance out of them compared to the more standard PA, be prepared to be underwhelmed. If your band are quiet enough, they could be just what you need... but anything bigger, it's best to stick with the traditional stuff.