Why become a member? ×

Hybird p bass on the bay

jezzaboy

Check this out. Starting price of £1000?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HYBRID-PRECISION-BASS_W0QQitemZ260547138713QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3ca9d1d499"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HYBRID-PRECISION-BAS...=item3ca9d1d499[/url]

How much is a Hondo body worth? (Paging Captain J). Baddass=£70, Fender pup=£50, pickgaurd and thumb rest=£40, Status neck=£250, belonged to a guy from the Hollies=35p. I wonder what music shops told him to insure it for a grand?

Jez :)

Obviously the magic vintage Korean plywood of a genuine Hondo body would account for the rest of the value of this remarkable instrument - but unfortunately without a documented provenance to prove its identity he's f*cked. :)

This has been mentioned before (can't find it now though) so clearly he's determined. You'd think it would make sense to either part it out or spend £30 on a proper body & bolt the decent bits on, then he might at least get what the good bits are worth.

And then he could keep hold of the bit of plywood, for sentimental reasons. :rolleyes:

Jon.

A part of it was rumoured to have been played by the bloke from the hollies? Whoop-de-doo. Whoever told hime to insure it for a grand should have explained that would cover him if it was nicked and he wanted to build another one just like it. If he had asked the same bloke how much he'd give him for it he would have got a very different valuation.

[quote name='Smash' post='742690' date='Feb 12 2010, 12:19 AM']I must admit I would love that neck, wonder if he would split it up... Only joking imagine the neck in his eyes is worth £800 or something.... That ebay ad is making me cross looking at it, I must move away from the computer.[/quote]
Try him. Eventually he'll either have to see sense & part it out/sell it for a realistic amount - or stick it back in the loft.

J.

• 2 weeks later...

And it's back, presumably following a reality check:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260559243524"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260559243524[/url]

Or maybe he's been reading our pearls of wisdom - no mention of a Hondo body now. :)

99p / no reserve is the way to go so I'm watching with a degree of interest... wonder if he'll pull the auction [s]when[/s] if it doesn't make a grand. :rolleyes:

J.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='758643' date='Feb 26 2010, 09:24 PM']Glad to see it`s back. Are you bidding on it Captain J?[/quote]
Nah. Love the neck, but I have too many bitsa projects that will probably never get finished already. :)

This has got off to a good start now he's seen sense, and will probably sell for something like the value of the good bits - unless he's shillin' like a villain, which all this secret bidder stuff makes me suspect. Crap/anonymous listing and already up to £77 with 8 days to go? Actually I think he's at it.

J.

This is probably a bit late, but I was speaking to Eric in MG the week before last, and I mentioned this bass.

Unsurprisingly, he has no recollection whatsoever of it, although he agreed that it was possible that he might have once been in the same room as it. Or perhaps the same building. Or possibly the same postcode. Definitely the same planet, though we couldn't narrow it down much closer than that.