Why become a member? ×

This String-Boiling Malarky...

Hot Tub

Mrs HT got me a new set of Rotosounds to put on my 5-string, but being a Scotsman (and, therefor, a tight git), I decided to keep the new ones for a while and have a go at boiling the old ones.

So, large pan full of boiling water on the cooker; cut open one of those laundry liquid sachets (they look like small pillows) and empty the contents into the pan; loosely coil up the strings and in they go. Left them boiling away for about 15 minutes, then a good rinse in cold running water and pop 'em over a radiator to dry.

Meanwhile, I gave the bass a good clean. Dunlop 65 guitar cleaner and lemon oil which comes in a little kit with a couple of good cloths. The body came up a treat with the cleaner, and the difference the lemon oil made to the fret board is - quite frankly - amazing! Then I decided to clean the frets which were looking decidedly grubby compared to the rest of the now gleaming instrument.

I got a new kitchen Brillo pad and rinsed all the pink soapy stuff out of it. Now the clever bit; fold a piece of cardboard (shiny printed stuff seemed to work best) and make the crease pretty "sharp". Then I cut a tiny strip off the crease. When it's opened out again there's a long thin hole in the card. I laid this over the fret I was cleaning and it's perfect for protecting the fretboard from the steel wool. The frets are now immaculate! A bit more lemon oil and job done.

Popped the dry strings back on, and WOW! It really is like a new set of strings!

In fact, it's like having a brand new instrument!

:)

It does work,i have done it loads of times,BUT,in a week or two they will be back to the state they were in before you boiled them.
There is a thread ? or a link ? on here somewhere about how to do it more effectively by soaking them overnight in methylated spirits ? if i recall.Plus the boiling makes the string wraps go fluffy.

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

always used meths and this doesn't leave any residue. If you are really careful you can keep strings going for years like this. I have only recently bought new strings for newly aquired basses. Pleased to see that the prices are what they were 15 years ago.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='741810' date='Feb 11 2010, 05:49 AM']Mrs HT got me a new set of Rotosounds to put on my 5-string, but being a Scotsman (and, therefor, a tight git), I decided to keep the new ones for a while and have a go at boiling the old ones.

So, large pan full of boiling water on the cooker; cut open one of those laundry liquid sachets (they look like small pillows) and empty the contents into the pan; loosely coil up the strings and in they go. Left them boiling away for about 15 minutes, then a good rinse in cold running water and pop 'em over a radiator to dry.

Meanwhile, I gave the bass a good clean. Dunlop 65 guitar cleaner and lemon oil which comes in a little kit with a couple of good cloths. The body came up a treat with the cleaner, and the difference the lemon oil made to the fret board is - quite frankly - amazing! Then I decided to clean the frets which were looking decidedly grubby compared to the rest of the now gleaming instrument.

I got a new kitchen Brillo pad and rinsed all the pink soapy stuff out of it. Now the clever bit; fold a piece of cardboard (shiny printed stuff seemed to work best) and make the crease pretty "sharp". Then I cut a tiny strip off the crease. When it's opened out again there's a long thin hole in the card. I laid this over the fret I was cleaning and it's perfect for protecting the fretboard from the steel wool. The frets are now immaculate! A bit more lemon oil and job done.

Popped the dry strings back on, and WOW! It really is like a new set of strings!

In fact, it's like having a brand new instrument!

:)[/quote]

Alternate approach: [url="http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/how_to_clean_bass_strings.html"]How to clean bass strings.[/url]

Re using steel wool:

Doing so will shed tiny bits of steel wool thus it's a good idea to cover the pickups and input jack with masking tape first.

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='741896' date='Feb 11 2010, 11:57 AM']Alternate approach: [url="http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/how_to_clean_bass_strings.html"]How to clean bass strings.[/url]

Re using steel wool:

Doing so will shed tiny bits of steel wool thus it's a good idea to cover the pickups and input jack with masking tape first.[/quote]

Ooooh, that's a handy site! :)

+1 for the meths tube, my strings are on permanent rotation between being in the tube or on a bass, I have sets that are very old (by my standards anything over a month is old, some of mine are a couple of years old and going still strong using this method).

I'd recommend DR Lo-riders as the best I've found for long life with this method, they come back really strong for a good month before needing swapping, I find Hi-Beams last a shorter time personally.

Boiling was the only alternative for me years ago, to the mirth of the other band members. Still do, still is. And, yes, no substitute for new strings but saves a fortune.

There's a move to rediscover flats, with much worship of sounds used by Jamerson, McCartney which I remember trying avoid. (More of an Entwhistle sound for me) and so dull strings may be more relevant nowadays.

However, you are braver than I in taking steel wool to the frets, even in your innovative manner. I just use a bit of metal polish (very little, they are, after all, very thin!) to take the muck off without scratching them. Its only aesthetic so I rarely bother.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='742182' date='Feb 11 2010, 03:31 PM']I used to put my strings in the dishwasher. Worked a treat.[/quote]
We don't have a dishwasher so I tried putting mine in the washing machine. Wife would have none of it. Women they're so protective about some things :)

If you are careful with getting the strings on and off and don't play too hard on them, I think you rotate a few sets for years.
I have only every broken about 3 strings ever and two of them were when I just started and tightened them up too much....:)

You can keep this rotation going for years... I honestly don't think I have bought a set in 10 years or so, until recently because of new basses.
I have a box of hi beams - probably about 6-8 sets or so- and just pull out a set that look like they could do with a rinse ( overnight soak for 24 hours-ish and let them drip dry )
I don't have the strings on the bass more than about a month..or whenever you hear them going off, whichever is the sooner.