Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5s vs Warwick 5s

Musicman20

The only thing I'd like to add is that some Warwicks suffer from quite bad ergonomics imho.

I've owned plenty over the years and moved all of them on because
1 - Most 5- and 6-strings are heavy, especially neck heavy. The Corvette Ash is particularly bad as a 5 or 6 - light ash body, heavy thick ovangkol/wenge neck plus tuners = big neck dive! I'd avoid the Thumb like the plague because of that horribly long neck and really short top horn too.
2 - Forget reaching the top 4 frets on any bolt-ons because the bottom cutaway isn't deep enough. No problem on the neck thru models.
3 - The electronics on a lot of the models leave quite a bit to be desired (maybe I just don't like MEC?) - one feature I always used was pull volume to bypass the circuit.
4 - You get the Warwick "tone" (which I love, but have found something similar elsewhere on more versatile basses), but it is hard to alter the sound much.
5 - Most Warwicks I've played sound nice and rich on the neck PU but too thin on the bridge PU (not a PU height issue, just a thin tone)

On the plus side
1 - Without exception every Warwick had a terrific low B, with or without a tapered string (and without an obnoxious scale length). In fact only the Dingwall I've just bought has a better tone (and that's 37"!).
2 - They record very well, especially models with wenge necks - very tight and fat for funk, rock, metal, blues etc., especially when the circuit is bypassed (see 3 above).
3 - The fit and finish, even on the cheapest models, is superb.
4 - They're mostly very cheap second hand compared to new. I've found that mid-90's ones are excellent basses for little money (esp wenge necked models).
5 - Even though they're mostly machine made they still have that wow factor that a handmade bass inspires.

I've also owned 2 SR5's - one average and one older exceptional one. Get an ash-bodied one if you can as the tone seems richer. Funnily enough I thought the spacing was tighter on the SR5 than the Corvette $$ I had (maybe they've changed spacing?). If you think you're going to sell it on at some point get a second hand one anyway, and for minimal loss I'd suggest a Stingray. However, I still prefer a good neck thru 'wick :)

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='742105' date='Feb 11 2010, 02:04 PM']If the depreciation is a concern just buy secondhand then most of the fall in price has already happened. Since discovering this forum i don't think I'll ever buy another bass brand new - great bargains to be had and honest, pleasant people to deal with![/quote]

Good point.

I bought a SR5 after playing a mid-90's Warwick Streamer 6 for ages. It had that awesome SR sound (especially when you got your thumb out!), but it wasn't quite as versatile as the Warwick. I sold it on easily on Basschat.

Unfortunately, GAS has also "made me" buy a few that never got moved on. Different basses for different gigs you see ....

Stingray 5 every time...although i would love to try a Streamer...

Pro's.. for the S5

Awsome tone, very punchy, very powerful, with a lovely growl from that humbuk
the best B string ive ever heard/played...No floppy here, just very nice consistent feel and tone, like the other strings, think Lakland 55
Very nice neck, i found it very narrow, very much like my Sei.. i especially liked the smooth un-glossed touch
Amazing build Q...just as good as my Sadowsky, if not better IMO
Mine was really light
Looks wise they are great imo, mine had the blue matching headstock that i love...

Cons...

Although i love the tone, i did find it a little limited, others may disagree... (then again its a Stingray and its a unique sound) but what a sound its got..i havent played the HH??
I had to let mine go!!!!
i agree with XB with the string spacing of the S5, quite narrow..

Edited by bubinga5

I currently own both a SR5 and a warwick streamer stage II
let me say first both basses are excellent. everything that has been said on here is subjective, one man's floppy B is anothers dubtone!!! :)
The streamer is my everyday bass, and has been for 5 years. its got the jazz bass tone kinda happening but its the warm punchy mids that I love and I often roll of the treble to get a darker sound. its great at finger style and is constant, never lets me down.
having said that I have done a hell of alot of work on the bass. Replaced the preamp with Aguilar OBP3 and swapped pickups for Nords Singlecoil jazzes. this has taken this bass on to the next level. I've installed a ramp between pickups to ease the fingers and this really helps. I've wanted to have the neck skimmed by mr peterson for a long time but I dont think I'll bother, I'll hang on for the Fbass!!! :rolleyes:

The stingray is the badboy...
Right out of the bag its killer, no messing...
I can get flea's, Nard's and Louis Johnson's tone straight away with little work.
The tone is sooo distinct that it just doesn't fly in every situation like the warwick. The slap on this this is amazing!!! so much easier than on the streamer, just because of the body shape. the stingray body isn't contoured at all, ala fenders and when slapping my hand hits the lower horn and stops. personally I love this as my area of attack is reduced and i can work with alot less energy. the warwick body is curved and the body falls away from the neck join, thus kinda making it harder. this only person taste, and will probably never bother you. marcus miller has a similar concept with his vintage pickup guard.

Both are really good basses, one requiring a little more work than the other, but I think it should come down to your taste. what are you going to use this bass for? what are you going to play on it?
the issues with the neck, body, etc etc are all up to you and there really isnt a right or wrong. just make sure you are comfortable, no point having a instrument that is fighting against you, even if its the sickest thing since the Bass Of Doom!!!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='743175' date='Feb 12 2010, 03:08 PM']Yes mate, they changed the pickups in the 5-string in early 2008 from the ceramic magnet one (a la Sterling) to the traditional alnico magnets. So if you love the sound of your 4-string Stingrays, have a new one.[/quote]
Or an old one. They were alnico up to around 1992/3*, and they swapped to ceramic when they added the phantom coil.

[size=1]* Officially 1992, but there seems to have been a blurred transition -- my SR5 is from 1993 and has alnico/no phantom coil.[/size]

If yo buy a new Warwick, then the necks are super thin. My Warwick Corvette has a really thin neck. Very much like a 62 Jazz bass. The old Warwick's had much thicker necks.

I also own a SR4 and to be honest, I prefer the Warwick. It sounds amazing everytime I plug it in where as the SR4 can be a bit hit and miss. I think this is to do with it having a unique sound. Both are great and I am sure what ever you buy you will love but if buying without trying, then be prepared to not like it.

Ive got a 74 Jazz, a very early JD supernatural session, and a Streamer Stage II 5 .
After 30 years of playing I've been totally blown away by the Warwick. The Tone is ................addictive.
The neck is obviously going to be "chunkier" than both my other basses but I found it's sound so jaw dopping that I made myself get used to it. It took about 3 weeks.
Balance is really good, and it sounds so good in the studio I never think about recording with anything else.
Check on here and the warwick forums to see if there's a stage II for sale reasonably close to you and give one a try!!
If you can't find anything close then wait. yes they're that good.

But then again, I haven't played a stingray since 1983 :)

Edited by morsefull

Thanks for all the advice, I've gone with my gut instinct and basically what I wanted when I first liked the idea of a 5 string.

I've put money with ernie ball and I'm just deciding what spec. Screw the depreciation! It'll be the most awesome colour I've seen and a modern pickup configuration :)

I've started a new thread for advice :rolleyes: I'm finally getting there.