Why become a member? ×

Graphite Neck on a Stingray 5

benthos

Hi All,

Are there any opinions/experiences out there putting a graphite neck on a Stingray?

Does this enhance the sound and stability of the instrument or is this largely a cosmetic upgrade?

Ideally I'd like to hear the difference between the original and graphite neck, so if anyone knows where I might find some audio clips that would be perfect.

[quote name='benthos' post='741035' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:22 PM']Hi All,

Are there any opinions/experiences out there putting a graphite neck on a Stingray?

Does this enhance the sound and stability of the instrument or is this largely a cosmetic upgrade?

Ideally I'd like to hear the difference between the original and graphite neck, so if anyone knows where I might find some audio clips that would be perfect.[/quote]

I've had mine for over 5 years now. Done many, many gigs with it and it is my favourite gigging bass. Superb neck, crystal clear tone and very punchy, right throough the band. Rarely needs tuning. Mine has side LEDs which almost doubled the cost. I have never regretted doing the mod and will never sell it.

Sorry I don't have any recordings.

[quote name='obbm' post='741125' date='Feb 10 2010, 03:47 PM']I've had mine for over 5 years now.
<snip>
I have never regretted doing the mod and will never sell it.

Sorry I don't have any recordings.[/quote]

Hi,

Interesting, and thanks for the reply. So I take it you don't miss the sound of the original neck, or is it the case that the sonic difference was too small to be a factor compared to the benefits of stability etc.?

[quote name='benthos' post='741207' date='Feb 10 2010, 05:12 PM']Hi,

Interesting, and thanks for the reply. So I take it you don't miss the sound of the original neck, or is it the case that the sonic difference was too small to be a factor compared to the benefits of stability etc.?[/quote]

To be quite honest I can no longer remember what it was like originally however it is still sounds like an SR5. This bass has had many changes. The pick-up is now a Nordstrand and this spec is the one that works for me. Best thing to do is try one and see if it works for you.

I had a status necked 'ray, a Modulus Sonic Hammer and three cutlass basses (one of which OBBM owned). Graphite necks seem to promote the mid bark that is so characteristic of stingrays so the overall effect is a slightly more aggressive sounding instrument but results may vary according to the density and rigidity of the body wood. I've found that the softer the ash, the warmer and less aggressive the sound can be. With very dense ash, the results can be very aggressive. I've also had Modulus Quantum Sweet Spot basses with light alder bodies that have sounded completely gutless.

[quote name='benthos' post='741035' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:22 PM']Hi All,

Ideally I'd like to hear the difference between the original and graphite neck, so if anyone knows where I might find some audio clips that would be perfect.[/quote]
There's a SR5 with Status-Graphite neck on The Gallery's website right now. Worth a look if you want to compare side by side.

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/BassProductListingTemplate.cfm?Brand=Musicman&type=Bass%20Guitar&Cat_ID=1"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/BassProductL...ar&Cat_ID=1[/url]

[quote name='Rich' post='741520' date='Feb 10 2010, 09:54 PM']That Sonic Hammer was mental. I wish I'd had the readies to take it off your hands.[/quote]
I was a fool for selling it, but I was fed up with it chewing through its leash, breaking out of its cage and scaring the eldery and the neighbours children. It was either sell it or take it to the docs to get its batteries removed. Its still owned by a BC'er (funkymunky?) as far as I'm aware.

[quote name='lapolpora' post='741525' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:01 PM']There's a SR5 with Status-Graphite neck on The Gallery's website right now. Worth a look if you want to compare side by side.[/quote]

Thanks very much for the link - I may well give that a whirl!

hi benthos.

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/42214-stingray-sound-examples.html"]THERE[/url] you go.
a few sound samples of different musicman basses, one of them has a graphite neck.

i would like to play one of those graphite neck stinrays, too.
i'd like to know, how they play, not how they sound.
i found out, that people not playing my bass don't really hear a difference in sound, but if you play it, you hear a big difference, because of the way the bass responds to your playing style.