Why become a member? ×

LOST YOUR CHANCE (TRADED) Overwater Perception Deluxe Plus 5

thepurpleblob

I bought this a few months back. It's a brilliant bass but doesn't suit my requirements as well as I'd hoped. It's probably a great bass for recording and for all that funky stuff but lacks the wall-shaking growl I need for the kind of eighth-note live pub-rock I play. I want to spill people's drink when I play a low D :)

The bass is absolutely as-new, is strung with Elixirs and comes in its original case. Specs...

Body: walnut
Top: Rosewood
Neck: Maple (3 piece)
Fretboard: rosewood
Bridge: Hipshot style A
Machines: Gotoh
Pickups: OW
Preamp: OW 3 band
Weight: 9.5 pounds (according to my bathroom scales)

So... I'm looking for something a whole lot more "down to earth". Something like a nice MM5, a Lakland (the MM+J one especially), Sadowsky, Yamaha NE / TRB 5p, try me!! It pretty much must be 5 string, not crazy narrow string spacing and be of similar value. Some cash adjustment is possible but not much from my end. Would very much prefer not to get into posting but am prepared to travel. So.... not fussy at all.

[attachment=44180:Overwate..._8_of_8_.jpg]
[attachment=44181:Overwate..._7_of_8_.jpg]
[attachment=44182:Overwate..._6_of_8_.jpg]
[attachment=44183:Overwate..._5_of_8_.jpg]
[attachment=44184:Overwate..._4_of_8_.jpg]
[attachment=44185:Overwate..._3_of_8_.jpg]
[attachment=44186:Overwate..._2_of_8_.jpg]
[attachment=44187:Overwate..._1_of_8_.jpg]

Edited by thepurpleblob

Very underrated basses IMHO. I went through the same humming and ahhhing a month ago with my Perception fretless. Decided I'd rather have a Jazz or Ray fretless. No interest from anyone on a trade so I kept the bass. TBH since then I've tried a Ray fretless out and the OW knocks the spots off it sonically - you just need to get used to the looks.

Good luck with the trade.

[quote name='martthebass' post='739921' date='Feb 9 2010, 01:06 PM']Very underrated basses IMHO. I went through the same humming and ahhhing a month ago with my Perception fretless. Decided I'd rather have a Jazz or Ray fretless. No interest from anyone on a trade so I kept the bass. TBH since then I've tried a Ray fretless out and the OW knocks the spots off it sonically - you just need to get used to the looks.

Good luck with the trade.[/quote]

Ta! It would need to be the right deal. I actually need to spend some time with it and get it set up how I like it etc.. The only thing I don't like is the locking jack socket which drives me nuts. It's too difficult to get the jack out for no big advantage. If I'm keeping it that'll be going :)

It's the old story though - a few practices back I turned up with the Jap P (just traded for a TRB4 on here) and the other band members say "that's it, that's just the sound - what did you do differently". Sigh!!

[quote name='owenfielding' post='742683' date='Feb 12 2010, 12:05 AM']beautiful bass. i used to own one of these and very much regretted selling it! i now have a yamaha bbne2, nathan east signature 5-stringer.

good luck with the sale/swap[/quote]

That would be the Yamaha BBNE2 where I have been agonising over asking if you might be interested I expect....... :)

The Perception has a slightly smaller body and slightly less fancy hardware as far as I can tell. I wouldn't call mine particularly light in the great scheme of things however.

I spent a couple of hours fiddling with the setup and took it to a practice last night and, of course, it sounded great. Isn't it always the same? So now I'm wondering....

Edited by thepurpleblob

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='millerman' post='756340' date='Feb 24 2010, 06:47 PM']not sure about trying distance but I do sometimes venture north.

I have a Lakland 55-94 Deluxe I am interester in trading for an Overwater.

Let me know if its and option and I'll dig out some snaps and post them for you.

Regards[/quote]

Would be very interested in some photos!!

EDIT: or at least what colour is it? .....and where are you? :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='766723' date='Mar 7 2010, 10:11 AM']A Sabbath day bump.....

Lots of new pictures (including my dog) and info in the OP now - go and look, go on :)[/quote]

Possible trade... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=79962"]My Stingray 5[/url].

[quote name='theosd' post='767081' date='Mar 7 2010, 05:38 PM']Possible trade... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=79962"]My Stingray 5[/url].[/quote]

That *is* one the nicest Stingray 5s I've seen. TBH my preference would be for an HH or HS Stingray - I think I'd need a bit of cash / other stuff to sweeten the deal for a "standard" one. However, PM me your best offer (as they say on Bargain Hunt) if you are serious and I'll have a proper think.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='767091' date='Mar 7 2010, 05:45 PM']That *is* one the nicest Stingray 5s I've seen. TBH my preference would be for an HH or HS Stingray - I think I'd need a bit of cash / other stuff to sweeten the deal for a "standard" one. However, PM me your best offer (as they say on Bargain Hunt) if you are serious and I'll have a proper think.[/quote]

Yeah, she's a bit special... I wouldn't be able to put any money towards the deal though so it's not for me.. I do really like these overwaters though... Just slightly out of my price range right now! Good luck with any future deals :)

[quote name='theosd' post='767097' date='Mar 7 2010, 05:48 PM']Yeah, she's a bit special... I wouldn't be able to put any money towards the deal though so it's not for me.. I do really like these overwaters though... Just slightly out of my price range right now! Good luck with any future deals :)[/quote]

Cheers... I'll keep it in mind if some other things fall through but I suspect the Ray'll be gone within the hour :rolleyes:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='767101' date='Mar 7 2010, 05:51 PM']Cheers... I'll keep it in mind if some other things fall through but I suspect the Ray'll be gone within the hour :)[/quote]

Hehe I dunno I'm keen to hear a number of offers for her, it's nice to be in the position to be tempted!