Why become a member? ×

Freddie Washington plays Forget Me Nots

iconic

found this by accident trying to tab this song, such a great bassline, played on a P bass....there's me thinking anything that is funky and slapped must be played a jazz bass?

....I can finger play it but slapping, forget it, it's too quick for me on the f#/g# D string bit!

"Original bassist/co-composer of the song forget me nots demonstrate the way to play the Unique bass line!
Sometimes you don't waste time at soundchecks
While waiting for mikes and Keyboards to be plugged in, why waste a good groove ! With a rhythm section like that who could resist.
Patrice Rushen
Wah wah watson Guitar
Ricky Lawson Drums
Ready Freddie Washington Bass
October 04th 2008"

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' post='737853' date='Feb 7 2010, 08:59 AM']....I can finger play it but slapping, forget it, it's too quick for me on the f#/g# D string bit![/quote]
I was convinced that bit was a hammer-on when I heard it on the original. I've just about got the hang of slapping the entire thing, but it took a fair bit of practice!

Visited his bass-clinic in Belgium (he played with Michael Jackson in Ostend) and he combined the gig with a clinic in a local musicshop (got 1250 euros for it :-)).
Great bass-line and a superb sound but after more than ten minutes of this same riff the crowd got a little bored (he used a Ken Smith 5) and the rest of the clinic was an uninspired bass-shuffle thing. Was easy money for him but didn't leave a big impression on me
Explaining why he was called "Ready Freddy" and some bass-noodling... not really constructive.