Why become a member? ×

Steed basses- 1960 blonde stack knob J style bass

wesfinn

the body blank has been in the clamps for a good few hours now and is ok to come out and be drum sanded to correct thickness.

I then trace the template (note there are no joins in the centre of the bass, Fender did this so as not to draw attention to the joins) and then rough cut the outline on the bandsaw to the outside of the line.

theres a slight colour mismatch with the wood gran but I'm hoping the blonde doesn't show this up...If it does it'll get a custom colour overcoat! :)

Pin router template is attached to the rear or the body with the correctly positioned pin router holes.

and then the horns are sanded as close as posible to the template to avoid any tear-outs on the pin router.

and then flush trimmed on the pin router

now this is what I have finished up with, ready for the edge rollover which will have to wait for a couple of weeks till I have some spare time!

hope you are enjoying it so far!

cheers

Wes

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='736730' date='Feb 5 2010, 10:16 PM']Real nice so far Wes![/quote]

Thanks Robbie! It's been a while since i built anything, making me really want to seriously get back into it again! :) I love the jazz style bass you just finished! really cool take on the design!

wes

[quote name='Sibob' post='737244' date='Feb 6 2010, 02:39 PM']Look great, will follow this eagerly!!
What do you think your price-point will be eventually?

Oh and do you know if the different shades of ash will be as obvious once they're lacquered up?

Si[/quote]

hi Si,

price point i am not sure of yet. Once I've built a couple I can work out total costs etc, labour. Need to source some more of the original materials too to try and make them as authenticly reproduced as possible.

I hope they will be lower cost that say Nash and Bravewood. The first couple I will let go for less money obviously as they are more trial builds to establish the costs.

with regards to the finish shade on this, the blondes from the late 50's to 62 didnt have too much grain showing throug, the edges were also opaque and sprayed with a 45 degree angle much like when applying a sunburst finish. I think it will look fine :), if not I will do a black over the blonde and relic through so some of the blonde shows!

So I got some Brazilian Rosewood through. this is perfectly quartersawn and straight grained and has been curing for 50 years! :)

I may not use it on this build though as it's pretty spectacular. I have some very dark indian Rosewood and some Honduras Rosewood coming which may go on this particular bass. Also as Brazillian rosewood is no longer available in the current market I would prefer to keep any pre CITES brazilian boards for customers basses and not stock instruments.

Heres some pix for you any way!

my website is also now under construction so should hopefully up and running in the next few weeks!

wes

Not a build update but an update none the less.. i have just found and secured my first workshop! This is very exciting for me as it means i can really start to concentrate on getting Steed Basses to where I want it to be. Its based in Henfield, West Sussex. Details to go on my website which goes live in a week or so. website address will be www.steedbasses.co.uk

wes

Congratulations...hope it isn't too expensive! I took my boys to visit our local luthier yesterday. It might be a converted pig-stye, but they loved it. Nothing like all those bits of wood and gadgets and the smell of wood fire, fresh tea and a hint of rosewood dust. Yum.

[quote name='BassBod' post='749742' date='Feb 18 2010, 02:33 PM']Congratulations...hope it isn't too expensive! I took my boys to visit our local luthier yesterday. It might be a converted pig-stye, but they loved it. Nothing like all those bits of wood and gadgets and the smell of wood fire, fresh tea and a hint of rosewood dust. Yum.[/quote]

Thanks Duncan! Nope it' within my budget. Its small but adequate for my needs at the moment (and room for a kettle :)) and theres the option to move into a bigger one if i need to at a later date! I get the keys on the 1st March! Can't wait.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='umcoo' post='775693' date='Mar 15 2010, 09:07 PM']Bumping this...any more progress?[/quote]

Thanks for the bump. I havn't had a chance to do any more to this bass as I have been busy fitting out the new workshop! I have designed the workshop to replicate early Pre-CBS building methods and have loads of new machinery/tooling on the way which will help me reproduce them as accurately as I can!

The shop will be up and running by early april, and when it does I shall continue on this build as well as another early 60's Jazz bass with 3 knob control plate in faded 3TS (so it will look 2 tone), a 59 Slab board Precision in sea foam green with a matching headstock and a 60's P bass with veneer rosewood board in candy apple red. I will also be making 3 basses of my custom range which will hopefully be submitted for review and then available for sale and demo at GAK Brighton.

stay tuned people!

Bit of an update, I have ordered all the hardware , pickups etc for this build and also for the P bass, 62 J and 64 J and also for a 62 Tele****er :rolleyes:

Also I have just managed to source another 9 Brazilian rosewood boards which look superb! all are 50 years old + and very dark! I'll post some pictures when they arrive! :)

Back to more building and picutres in the next few weeks i promise!

Edited by wesfinn

heres an update on the build :)

first job was to run the body round the pin router with the correct radius ovolo cutter. On the back making sure to stop at the correct points by the heel for an early 60's.

Then its time to do the forearm and belly contours. I mark these out free hand as they were always slightly different. Also gives the bass a bit of character!

Then to rough cut the forearm. The way the contours were cut in the olden days was on a large belt linisher, which i dont have. So I do mine with a rasp file by hand.

Then the same for the belly contour.

I then use my sander to level them off ready for the final sanding.

Heres some shots with the contours nicely blended in. I think it looks quite nice :rolleyes:

Next I place the template onto the front of the body and drill the bridge holes and the neck holes.

next up I roughly cut out the neck on the bandsaw

then check for straightness as the neck has been relieved of tension. I will let the neck settle for a few days and check to see if it needs to be flattened again.

Heres a shot of the body and neck and fingerboard I have picked out for this build. I have decided to use a brazilian board after all :)

More soon! Thanks

Wes

[quote name='BassBod' post='793649' date='Apr 1 2010, 07:21 PM']Your workshop looks very tidy.....

Can't wait to see some spray-gun action![/quote]

Haha. My Mum always made me tidy up after myself!

I'm going to start making my spray booth soon. Thats also a reason I keep the shop tidy as when I do the spraying I want there to be as little dust as possible to avoid contamination. I'm getting an air filter soon which will take any dust out of the air. and I've got a pretty powerful vacuum/extracter for cleaning everywhere else!