Why become a member? ×

Steed basses- 1960 blonde stack knob J style bass

wesfinn

the stuff from tonetech is great. they use the same stuff for tins or aerosols. also if you want more colour choice try www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk his colour matches are fantastic in both forms again.

it's all about practice, aerosols are easier to use but still over order your spray to get some practice in first!

• 9 months later...

Thought I would resurrect this thread as I have had some time to do some more work on this bass.

The neck is awaiting the fingerboard to be radiused and fretted before I profile the back of the neck. Going to give this a chunky profile (1 inch thick!!) Last week I managed to make the 5/32" truss rod and get the brazilian rosewood fingerboard on.

I will post some pictures next time I get back to the workshop. but the flame neck is going to be a looker!

I remember a build thread on another forum (Talkbass maybe?) by an Israeli luthier making a Jazz with a 1" neck depth. He did the clay dots and stuff like you do along with some slightly questionable techniques like matching wood blanks using a tuning fork! Do you know the chap I mean? The bass looked fantastic when it was finished and it got me thinking a 1" neck depth could persuade a few more Precision players to pick up a Jazz width neck. I never liked the skinny feel of Jazz necks but maybe the extra meat on these specials might persuade even me to put down my beloved Precision.

BTW, I saw on another thread you're not building basses from scratch any more. Why the change of direction - if I'm not being too nosy???

yes Gil Yaron! he is a master! He's also a very nice guy as he has given me some info and advice over email when i started doing the repro thing.

The 1" neck depth is because I am a Precision player and no matter how much I try I can't get on with a thin neck profile on a Jazz!

I did say I wouldn't be building from scratch and this is still true...I just started this over a year ago and have been to busy to finish it haha.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='1221160' date='May 5 2011, 04:19 PM']yes Gil Yaron! he is a master! He's also a very nice guy as he has given me some info and advice over email when i started doing the repro thing.

The 1" neck depth is because I am a Precision player and no matter how much I try I can't get on with a thin neck profile on a Jazz!

I did say I wouldn't be building from scratch and this is still true...I just started this over a year ago and have been to busy to finish it haha.[/quote]
So do the extra few millimeters make enough of a difference to you? I must admit I was fascinated by Gil's super thick Jazz neck but haven't got around to trying it yet.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1221471' date='May 5 2011, 07:52 PM']So do the extra few millimeters make enough of a difference to you? I must admit I was fascinated by Gil's super thick Jazz neck but haven't got around to trying it yet.[/quote]

Yah they do, I get cramp in my hand if I play a Jazz for more than 15 minutes! This Jazz neck is going to be a bit like a Nocaster neck! proper baseball bat! I also prefer the tone of a thicker neck. The workshop Im now using has got loads of custom router bits which I will use for the profiling! should be quick and painless!

• 2 months later...

Been trying to get some bits finished yesterday. Heres a couple of shots of the baseball bat jazz neck!

It feels amazing. The fingerboard has been radiused and is ready for fretting. the body is hanging in the background and is due to have the tinted topcoats then flatting and polishing then the impending relicing.

It's going to have gold hardware and will be available for sale on this site. Lead time is looking to be early september so if you are interested send me a PM.