Why become a member? ×

Thick, creamy FAT fuzz?

cameltoe

Hi guys,

wanted your opinions on a suitable pedal to give me a really rich, creamy thick fuzz. I don't want anything too sharp really, I've used overdrive pedals before that have sounded more like distortion, and fuzz pedals that have sounded like overdrive pedals. What I really want, is a big thick sound, with a bit of a lazy fuzz feel to it, if that makes any sense at all! At the moment I get by using a Cool Cat fuzz (danelectro pedals always seem to work well with bass) coupled with a nobels Bass OD pedal, and the tone pot on my precision rolled halfway back. I don't crank the drive on the OD, i just use the DEEP switch to get the full bodied sound. So ideally i'm after a bit of an old-school, soft fuzz feel, nothing too sharp or queens-of-the-stone-age esque, but with alot of depth and maybe a bit of punch.

cheers if you can recommended something!

Fender Sub-Lime fits the description. It's like a mellow Big Muff, with an adjustable crossover that keeps the low end pure and clean while fuzzing up the mids and highs only. It has the tightest deepest punchiest low end of any fuzz I've ever played with and it's quite vintage sounding in the top end so it even sounds good recorded direct. Here's Theo AKA DosiYanarchy's clips:

[url="http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8561252"]http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8561252[/url]

Only drawback is that it is [size=7]EFFING HUGE![/size]

Well, you want a DAM Ezekiel, but you're not going to get one -- no longer made, expensive if you can find one, and I just sold mine anyway.
You need something with a blend pot -- or put your dirt in a blended looper. Something like the Colorsound Jumbo Tonebender would work as it lets some of your clean signal through.
There's a dud in Texas who builds a very nice clone -- Sonic VI. In fact there's one of his on talkbass as of last night.If you're in the UK, it up Ian Sherwen/Happy Robot/Ghost and he'll build you something cool.

I use one of the original ColourSound ToneBenders. The one with the silver enamel case. Think it's 60's?? Using that with my old Ricky, and the SVT gives a huge, phat, fuzz :wub:

If you live anywhere near Derbyshire, your welcome to pop by, and try it out :)

Edited by retroman

I checked out the Fender SubLime, and that seems quite close to what I'm looking for. I've got a EHX double MUFF, but it's way too sharp to me and seems more of a distortion that a fuzz. I've used a standard Big Muff, the black one, and it didn't seem to quite cut through enough, It sounded OK on it's own but once the band was playing it kinda disappeared. I'm yet to try a bass big muff.

What do you have silent fly?