Why become a member? ×

Wizard Pick Ups

Dom in Dorset

I'm not sure if this is the right room , feel free to move it.
I'm planning on buying Wizard pick ups for my twin neck.
To keep costs down and because I wan't a fat gorgeous sound I'm planning on getting their P bass pick ups.
I'm tempted by the "Thumper" , in their words :
"An overwound and uprated P Bass pickup for those who like a more earthy dark sound blended with a good volume and attack. With a DC resistance overall of 14 k ohms this'll hit your amp hard."
They are the same price as the trad p bass pick up.
I like the idea of a powerful output, do these give a dirty sound?
My bass will have one fretted neck (p bass pup), one fretless with p bass pup and piezo bridge.
anyone tried them?

I had some dealings with Andy at Wizard when still working at the workshop. What this guy doesn't know about pickups and guitar/bass electronics isn't worth knowing! Awesome friendly guy to deal with as well, drop him an email or get on the phone and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

Tim at Bareknuckle is similarly knowledgeable and approachable too. Either company will be able to sort you out one way or another.

top man,great to deal with.
I have a thumper and love it.If your after the high output type Andy does the stealth 51 which I would love to try. I ,m more than happy with thumper which really does cut through the mix.
Give Andy a phone and he will sort you out and you,ll get a cracking conversation as well,worth it for that alone.

I have the Stealth 51's in my P bass...like a P bass on steroids as Wizard say :) Nice vintage look to them too, raised poles and rounded casing edges, far more comfortable than the square edge of the stock Fender pup. Money well spent in my book :rolleyes:

+1 for Andy. I deal with him on a regular basis and can't speak highly enough of him. He really is a wizard, thats no understatement. If you want something exact then let him know and he'll custom design a pickup for you. I have his pickups in all my main basses after asking him for as much low end as wire and magnets could deliver without sacrificing clarity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

bought a thumper the other day, 24 hr delivery, great service.

May be of interest to others, I felt the pole pieces protruded more than I would like, so I contacted Andy.

He suggested a bit of cardboard underneath the cover, worked a treat, I have now got flush pole pieces.

[quote name='stinson' post='740368' date='Feb 9 2010, 09:57 PM']I have the Trad in my Precision. Plenty of output and delivers the lovely even woody tone that I just love. Andy very helpful.[/quote]

Another Trad user here, I chose that one folloowing a conversation with Andy, and have been very pleased with the results.