Why become a member? ×

Steinberger XL-5W ('wide 5') Bass For Sale

lowregisterhead

Hi all

Offered for sale is my carbon graphite composite Steinberger XL-5W ('wide 5') bass. As many of you will know, these are incredibly rare, as they only made about 50 of them. There are some 5-string versions of the X-2 and XL-2 out there, which were basically standard width 4-string necks with head and bridge conversions to somehow cram the 5th string on, resulting in a very narrow string spacing, but the XL-5W was built as a 5-string, and therefore has a very comfortable 17mm spacing.

The previous owner rescued it from a shop in the States, and had work done at Peekamoose in New York to make it beautifully playable. Cosmetically, it's in good condition, but not immaculate, and as such could be said to be primarily a player's instrument, although still extremely collectable.

Included in the sale is a second unused bridge, the original pickups and circuitry (a more recent EMG preamp and pickups are currently fitted), brass and aluminium string adapters for non-double ball end strings, a fitted flight case, a Ritter gig bag, and the original pivoting strap plate. It currently has an adapted NS Steinberger Boomerang strap system fitted, but this can be removed with an allen key, and the original plate refitted in seconds.

Additional info and more detailed pictures available on request to genuinely interested parties. Offers invited in excess of £6,000.

[quote name='molan' post='732402' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:34 PM']Apologies if I'm being picky but 'offers invited in excess of' implies an auction and I don't think that's allowed under the for sale rules here?[/quote]

Yes very true - I happened to see the advert over on TalkBass as well, who also have similar T&Cs with reference to auction-esque adverts.

An offer and a bid are quite different in my book, but hey ho... OK then, I'll settle for £5,500 and the letter 'P' being stricken from the english language. I'll use the money to become all-seeing, all-knowing Master of Time, Space and Dimension. The go on holiday to Magaluf.

[quote name='dood' post='732773' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:09 PM']Yes very true - I happened to see the advert over on TalkBass as well, who also have similar T&Cs with reference to auction-esque adverts.[/quote]

Yes, I posted there too, and was told in no uncertain terms that I had to post a fixed price or the thread would be deleted. That was after being relieved of 20 bucks for 'Supporting Membership' before I could post in that section in the first place. This was closely followed by tasteless comments from others regarding how 'it must be a British thing' and how the only thing rarer than my bass was someone who would pay the price I was asking, and so on.

Thank you for your patience. It's nice to see that UK forums are so much more polite! :-)