Why become a member? ×

Suggestions please....

Netballman

I wondered what everyone might suggest as a good idea for my next potential acquisition?

I currently own a lovely old Spector NS-2, which I would never want to part with, but having acquired an Ibanez GWB35 after working out that I COULD play fretless (started with an old RBX200F) I am very much liking having 5 strings and would like to find a fretted 5-string which was decent but not too expensive which might fill the gap :)

Just to give SOME guidelines to the discussion, I like the sounds of the basses I have but would love a classic Musicman Stingray thump; anything with a through neck is a big plus; sculpted rather than slab; and of course cheaper the better (so SWMBO doesn't kill me) but the key thing re price is value for money rather than outright numbers, and good resellability.

I play all sorts of stuff, none of it very well :rolleyes: and I'm a fingerer rather than a slapper (though in the future who knows...). I've currently been looking at maybe an Ibanez SR of some ilk, or maybe a Musicman SUB (but I don't really like the LOOK of the Musicman TBH!)

What do y'all reckon?

Edited by Netballman

[quote name='Netballman' post='730830' date='Jan 31 2010, 05:33 PM']Cheers Pete, that's one I hadn't thought of, and it certainly seems a possibility! I shall have to try to find someone with one at the next bass bash :)[/quote]
Should have tried mine at the last SE bass bash! I'll bring it to the London one if it happens.

Not sure if you are a Jazz Bass fan, but I have a Squier Deluxe Active V. Great bass and well put together. I got mine for £150 secondhand and replaced the preamp with an Aguilar. I am also thinking about new pickups but to be honest the ones in it cut through very well in a 5 piece band, I just want soapbars for a bigger thumb rest.

As I said the bass is really well put together, great neck great fretwork and great finish. the neck is quite wide and flat though which is not everyones cup of tea.

Had an Ibanez ATK-305 for a while - solid, well-made bass (I couldn't get on with the string spacing, but YMMV), can do the MM sound pretty well with the triple-coil pickup. Should have given it longer to get to grips with, so I've moved it on, but it was down at the 'budget end' - around 350 quid new, should be able to pick one up s/h without too much trouble.

HTH

Ian

I am considering putting a 5-er up for £450. It is a Status Energy (the black one in the middle of the picture in the first post of this thread). I have photos of the actual bass itself on my phone but haven't got around to uploading them onto my PC yet.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57072&hl=status+energy"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...l=status+energy[/url]

I am in a similar position Netballman: I have a GWB35 and love it, and it was both my first 5 string and first fretless. I am now , in theory, after a 5 string fretted at a sensible price (I say in theory because funds won't allow it at the moment).

I have considered an SR505, basically because it would seem very similar to a GWB35 in terms of body and neck etc, and has the same string spacing (16.5mm), and the Ibanezes seem very good value.
Also considered the G&L L2500 (Tribute due to costs), because it also seems to tick all the boxes, and I've heard great reports of them. HOwwever, am I right in thinking that they have fairly chunky necks?

When funds become available I will certainly be looking at both of these. I have so far however resisted the temptation to try either due to the lack of funds.

Ideally I'd want both 5 strings to be 32" scale, but that ain't going to happen unless I build it myself.

Let us know what you end up with.

Sadly I missed a 505 on ebay recently which went for 195 - with a hard case!

I have also pondered on the idea of trying to do my own custom job... but I'm sure I'd end up spending too much and making a mess of it! But definitely an idea for the future - esp. if I start with something really cheapo :)

I think what I shall do is see if i can try a few of these suggestions (for which many thanks, all, some very good ideas here) and I will certainly get back with the result in the long run!