Why become a member? ×

Busking on bass

CraigPlaysBass

One of the bands I am working with has decided to do some busking to raise funds in the period before our gigging calendar begins. As such I have been asked to go with them to various local town centres etc. They will be using acoustic guitars and percussion, none of which require amping, however I do not own an acoustic bass.

Are these a good idea? Are they as loud as acoustic guitars? I have heard some theories that you require a guitar body bigger than a jumbo guitar to get to the same volume...

I was also considering a battery powered amp, are these any good for bass and are there any cheap ones available as, by the very nature of it, I do not want to spend much which I then may not get back.

I tried using my acoustic bass for some intimate, folky gigs, and found that I was asked by the guitarists to bring an amp. Not enough volume. So I think you may need to use a small battery-operated amp, or maybe convert a small cheap practice amp to run off a car battery?

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='726506' date='Jan 27 2010, 04:22 PM']Are these a good idea? Are they as loud as acoustic guitars? I have heard some theories that you require a guitar body bigger than a jumbo guitar to get to the same volume...[/quote]

To put it mildly! People will tell you all sorts of things about their acoustic bass guitars being fine in the volume stakes, but it really isn't true - someone battering chords out on an acoustic guitar will easily overpower an acoustic bass. You just can't change the laws of physics - double bass strings are tuned to the same frequencies as bass guitar strings, and there is a reason the body of a double bass is so huge. Even then, it is not as efficient as a violin at producing sound.

However, if you alter your perception of the role of the bass in this setting, some things are possible. Realise that you will not be producing any fundamental frequencies from notes on the E and A strings at all, and that the presence/click of the notes you play will come from the overtones and percussive click of the notes. Keep things simple and to the point, lower your expectations of being overtly heard, find what notes punch through the best (I suggest starting on the D and G strings, occassionally the A) and you may be able to make a contribution to the sound. Some people have had good results with using a pick in this situation, presumably because it helps emphasise the aforementioned overtones and percussive click.

Jennifer

There's the Pignose amps, but they're not that cheap or easily available:

[url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/Amplifiers/Amplifiers-By-Instrument/Bass-Guitar-Amplifiers/6331-/Pignose-Hog-30-Rechargable-Portable-Electrical-Guitar-Amplifier-Combo"]http://www.imuso.co.uk/Amplifiers/Amplifie...Amplifier-Combo[/url]

No one has mentioned what instruments they used, but my Guild B50 doesn't struggle in this sort of situation. Then again, solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides, and at 18" across and 7" deep, there's plenty of chamber there to generate volume naturally. As for upright players, most I've seen don't resort to any form of amplification when busking.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='726566' date='Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM']No one has mentioned what instruments they used, but my Guild B50 doesn't struggle in this sort of situation. Then again, solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides, and at 18" across and 7" deep, there's plenty of chamber there to generate volume naturally. As for upright players, most I've seen don't resort to any form of amplification when busking.[/quote]

I think it depends on the location. We were on a street in Burnham On Sea and the sound was just getting lost. I don't doubt in a covered shopping area the sound would be fine but on a wide street on a windy day the sound is easily lost. Fair point though, some basses do hold up better than others. I had a wide and deep bodied Aria acoustic bass that was really loud.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='726565' date='Jan 27 2010, 05:12 PM']There's the Pignose amps, but they're not that cheap or easily available:

[url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/Amplifiers/Amplifiers-By-Instrument/Bass-Guitar-Amplifiers/6331-/Pignose-Hog-30-Rechargable-Portable-Electrical-Guitar-Amplifier-Combo"]http://www.imuso.co.uk/Amplifiers/Amplifie...Amplifier-Combo[/url][/quote]

I use a Pignose Hog 30 battery amp, and it just copes with a trad jazz 6 piece band.
Got it from Thomann a long time ago, think it was £95 then.