Why become a member? ×

So, has anyone actually *tried* the Orange isobaric cabs?

Le Chat Noir

It's strange, every thread I can find regarding Orange's isobaric cabs discusses why they shouldn't be good [i]in theory[/i].

I prefer to judge musical instruments and amplifiers on their actual performance, not on the theory behind them - I stick by the old maxim of 'if it sounds good, it is good' :)

Sadly there's nowhere near me that has the blighters in stock. Has anyone actually given these little beasts a go? I bought a Terror Bass and I love it, so thought it'd be pretty sweet to have a mini Orange stack - if those cabs sound good, that is! They're quite expensive to invest in totally blindly though.

You can see my fairly in-depth demo of the Terror Bass here: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rN4glWmTs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rN4glWmTs[/url]

[quote name='yorick' post='726433' date='Jan 27 2010, 03:28 PM']Rehearsed and gigged the SP210 cab which i own, and to be honest it's phenomenal. The frequency range and volume i can get out of it is awesome.[/quote]

Thanks for your quick response, good to hear from someone with first-hand experience :) I'm looking at the SP212 in particular, did you get to try them all out or did you buy online?

Edited by Le Chat Noir

[quote name='Le Chat Noir' post='726441' date='Jan 27 2010, 03:35 PM']Thanks for your quick response, good to hear from someone with first-hand experience :) I'm looking at the SP212 in particular, did you get to try them all out or did you buy online?[/quote]

I tried the SP210 out in the shop with Terror bass head and was impressed enough to buy the pair. Haven't tried the SP212 yet.

[quote name='umph' post='726444' date='Jan 27 2010, 03:40 PM']they go deep but weigh a tonne and aren't that loud. There are more practical designs out there if you want deep and small or small and loud[/quote]

The weight of the 212 is quoted as 22kg, that's about half of the 4x10 I'm used to carting about so no biggie :) To be honest, with most cabs I find it's the shape rather than the weight that makes it easy or hard to cart around.

Hmm... will have to see if I can find somewhere to try 'em :rolleyes:

[quote name='Le Chat Noir' post='726469' date='Jan 27 2010, 03:58 PM']The weight of the 212 is quoted as 22kg, that's about half of the 4x10 I'm used to carting about so no biggie :) To be honest, with most cabs I find it's the shape rather than the weight that makes it easy or hard to cart around.

Hmm... will have to see if I can find somewhere to try 'em :rolleyes:[/quote]
yeah thats for something with the output of a 1X10 though volume wise.

[quote name='bumnote' post='726635' date='Jan 27 2010, 01:01 PM']are you saying the orange 2x12 is only as loud as a single 10?

can you explain a bit more[/quote]
That's a bit off, an isobaric 2x12 will have the same output as a standard 1x12. The second driver allows the cab to be made smaller with no sacrifice in response, but that bit about there being no such thing as a free lunch reigns true to form, so what is sacrificed is output. The same two twelves in a larger cab would go louder.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='726651' date='Jan 27 2010, 06:14 PM']That's a bit off, an isobaric 2x12 will have the same output as a standard 1x12. The second driver allows the cab to be made smaller with no sacrifice in response, but that bit about there being no such thing as a free lunch reigns true to form, so what is sacrificed is output. The same two twelves in a larger cab would go louder.[/quote]

Same maximum output when they reach the excursion limit, as a 1x12. With the same power, a 1x12 would go louder, but the isobaric would be bassier (but quieter), all other things being equal.

That right? A pair of 12s both touching the air are more sensitive than one touching the air and one helping basically.

I did try the 2x12 iso cab at my local store when it came out. They had JUST sold the Bass Terror head so I had to use my LMII which I had in the car. Its quite a loud cab for a little box. The low end was pretty tight and the way the sound filled the room was nice, but it wasn;t propper loud. and there is almost no trebble. and its really really REAELLY heavy. but i kinda liked it for some reason. if it was 300 quid i would have brought it as a second cab, but the lack of tweeter put me off.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='726651' date='Jan 27 2010, 06:14 PM']That's a bit off, an isobaric 2x12 will have the same output as a standard 1x12. The second driver allows the cab to be made smaller with no sacrifice in response, but that bit about there being no such thing as a free lunch reigns true to form, so what is sacrificed is output. The same two twelves in a larger cab would go louder.[/quote]

thanks bill
i understand a bit better now

I tested all the range at Orange HQ, and found the 2x12 was the smallest and lightest '2x12' (if it is one) ive ever tried.

Its is VERY small, and very lightweight.

I will also add the volume was pretty damn massive....and that was only on low volume on the Bass Terror.

A good idea for a small light cab....not sure if Ill get any, but I like what they have done.

I tried the 2x10 (1x10 sized box) + Bass Terror in Sounds Live in Newcastle and I thought it was pretty weedy compared to a 'normal' 2x10. Essentially I thought that combination was closer to my 75w 1x10 line6 than my Hartke 350w 2x10. Of course a larger cab would probably help, but I think that's the point!

• 1 month later...

Hi, you may know already - Mansons in Exeter have them in stock now.
Went up there and tried the Bass Terror through the 2/12 using a Mike Dirnt Squire bass.
I really liked it - very bassy, nice warm, lively sound but difficult to get a feel for how it would sound for gigs in their practice rooms. I should have tried the 2/10 as well just to compare, but its easy to kind of lose yourself in that shop!
Anywhoo - was impressed enough to buy the amp with the intention of getting the cab at a later date when I can scrape together the dosh...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 212. I am not entirely sure how loud it is because I haven't pushed it past 10 o'clock, which I found to be just a bit louder than necessary for playing with a drummer. Then again I am in a folk band at the moment, so the problem is more playing quietly enough rather than loud enough.

As for heavy, you wouldn't want to carry it to a gig via public transport, but you could easily carry the cab, bass, pedals and terror bass from your car to the stage in one trip.

I have fallen in love with the tone, but then again I play 51 RI with flats and the tone rolled off, [i]hate [/i]treble.