Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pros and |Cons of a Semi-acoustic vs solid body..?

alhbass

I've been reading the thread about whether heavier/denser basses make an inherently different sound from lighter ones with interest...

I'm looking for a bass that will give me a very "twangy" sound - a kind of really hicksville, bluegrass sound, rather than heavy and deep. So I thought the natural place to start looking would be among semi-acoustics - but now I'm wondering whether that's the best approach..?

I plan to put lightweight strings on whatever instrument I get, of course, and would consider changing pickups if necessary (and affordable) too - but would welcome any further advice/opinions. Thanks.

I think the "twang" would generally come from the guitars, but you'd get "twang" out of a bass by using new strings and the bridge pickup rather than the construction. Most of the bass I've heard in Bluegrass, Americana and Country has either been an upright, one of the Fender's or Lakland and haven't really been that "twangy" at all.

[quote name='chris_b' post='726207' date='Jan 27 2010, 12:17 PM']I think the "twang" would generally come from the guitars, but you'd get "twang" out of a bass by using new strings and the bridge pickup rather than the construction. Most of the bass I've heard in Bluegrass, Americana and Country has either been an upright, one of the Fender's or Lakland and haven't really been that "twangy" at all.[/quote]

I get what you're saying - my mistake for not making myself clearer ;

I know trad country bass isn't particularly twangy at all - as you say, the twang comes from the guitars/banjos/whatever.

But I'm after an unusally twangy sound for my bass. Not because I want to play country (I don't), but because I've got other, slightly eccentric ideas up my sleeve... It's all to do with the sound/aesthetic of a new musical project I'm involved with, in which I'd like to by able to produce some quick, twangy, boingy riffs with lots of whammy/tremolo effects and pitch bending. Sounds awful? It might well be....

So anyway, my reference to bluegrass etc was meant to help convey the kind of sound I want from my bass...

[quote name='alhbass' post='726335' date='Jan 27 2010, 02:06 PM']Thanks - will do. Any particular type?[/quote]

Just checked out a couple on ebay - I'll give them a try if I can get my hands on one, but have to say that my first impression is that they're some of the silliest looking instruments I've ever seen. And not in a good way. Or is it just me..?

I don't like 'em myself but they have a very characteristic twang. AFAIK they're all built with a semi-hollow lightweight body and generally have single coil pups which should help the twang.

...and when I said 'try', I literally meant try one in a shop or wherever - it wasn't a direct recommendation to splash the cash.

Edited by Adrenochrome

Fender bass VI or the Schecter Hellcat VI will all give you that Duane Eddy twang or counrty & western tic tak. They all use light gauge roundwounds on a short scale length, but are solid. Semi hollow & semi acoustic basses will sound more, eh, hollow and acoustic, but won't necessarily give you more 'twang'. Smaller speakers would help too - 10s, 12s - keep the 18" folded horn for reggae gigs. It helps to play with a pick too.

[quote name='henry norton' post='726445' date='Jan 27 2010, 03:41 PM']Fender bass VI or the Schecter Hellcat VI will all give you that Duane Eddy twang or counrty & western tic tak. They all use light gauge roundwounds on a short scale length, but are solid. Semi hollow & semi acoustic basses will sound more, eh, hollow and acoustic, but won't necessarily give you more 'twang'. Smaller speakers would help too - 10s, 12s - keep the 18" folded horn for reggae gigs. It helps to play with a pick too.[/quote]

Thanks for that. Well I've certainly got the smaller speakers - MB 604 cab.

Not sure the Fender VI looks quite right for me tho' - I'm just in the process of selling my Precision V in order to cut back down to 4 strings! Haven't checked out the Schechter yet - I'll have a look.

A baritone guitar would probably be a better choice than a bass for the sound you're after.
Something like this for example:
[url="http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Gretsch_Electromatic_Jet_Baritone_Electric_Guitar__.html"]http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog...c_Guitar__.html[/url]

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='henry norton' post='726445' date='Jan 27 2010, 03:41 PM']... that Duane Eddy twang or counrty & western tic tak.[/quote]
[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='726311' date='Jan 27 2010, 01:39 PM']Try a Danelectro.[/quote]
[quote name='RhysP' post='726743' date='Jan 27 2010, 07:32 PM']A baritone guitar would probably be a better choice than a bass for the sound you're after.[/quote]
A Danelectro baritone, at left:

Edited by skankdelvar

Wild outsider, but what about an Ozark Resonator Bass - had one when I had my shop - everyone loved it as it was so unusual. It had a lipstick pickup and was very bright and metallic. Full brass body so very heavy - you wouldn't (possibly couldn't) play it standing up!!

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='727112' date='Jan 27 2010, 11:38 PM']Wild outsider, but what about an Ozark Resonator Bass - had one when I had my shop - everyone loved it as it was so unusual. It had a lipstick pickup and was very bright and metallic. Full brass body so very heavy - you wouldn't (possibly couldn't) play it standing up!![/quote]

I checked these out - there's a (not very good) clip on youtube of someone demonstrating one. And there's one for sale on ebay (or there was t'other day anyway). I'd be very interested if I could afford one in addition to buying something more conventional, but for now I'm only in a position to get one instrument. And I'm a bit put off by the thought of not being able to play it standing up! But I'd love to try one, so if anyone knows of one in the Leeds/North Yorkshire area I'd love to know...

Thanks.

[quote name='alhbass' post='728632' date='Jan 29 2010, 01:04 PM']I checked these out - there's a (not very good) clip on youtube of someone demonstrating one. And there's one for sale on ebay (or there was t'other day anyway). I'd be very interested if I could afford one in addition to buying something more conventional, but for now I'm only in a position to get one instrument. And I'm a bit put off by the thought of not being able to play it standing up! But I'd love to try one, so if anyone knows of one in the Leeds/North Yorkshire area I'd love to know...

Thanks.[/quote]

Shame the clip is no good - one of the loudest basses acoustically, and, although I never heard it in a gig setting, the pickup sounded fine in the shop. Is it worth trying Hobgoblin in Leeds?

Sound clips of Danelectro Baritone and some info here

[url="http://www.danguitars.com/Baritone.html"]http://www.danguitars.com/Baritone.html[/url]

Love the sound, but I have to tell myself to be careful. It's a [i]giitar[/i], with the attendant moral hazard. :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='728646' date='Jan 29 2010, 01:11 PM']Shame the clip is no good - one of the loudest basses acoustically, and, although I never heard it in a gig setting, the pickup sounded fine in the shop. Is it worth trying Hobgoblin in Leeds?[/quote]

Good plan. I'll drop in next time I'm passing. Thanks