Why become a member? ×

32" or 34"

antti

I used to be a 34" man through and through (add your pun here please...........) but I've recently discovered shorter scales and love 'em. There won't be much of a difference sound-wise between the two although there may be slightly less choice string wise. A shorter scale makes not only the stretch a bit less but also eases the string tension if you're into bends and vibrato, as well as it just being a bit easier to play. My vote goes for 32"

Thanks guys. Keep writing. It is great to be able to read which one you prefer and why. You wont make it any easier. I am pretty much after a good slap bass at the moment. I already have that Jazz bass and CB but one good slap bass is what I am after. :)

[quote name='antti' post='727422' date='Jan 28 2010, 11:33 AM']Thanks guys. Keep writing. It is great to be able to read which one you prefer and why. You wont make it any easier. I am pretty much after a good slap bass at the moment. I already have that Jazz bass and CB but one good slap bass is what I am after. :)[/quote]

In that case, definetly get the 34". The extra tension really improves the slap tone of a bass no end imo.

My Alembic Stanley Clarke was 30" scale and probably had my favourite slap tone of all the basses I've owned. It was a total flyer too. It all depends on what type of slap tone you like really. Marcus, Les, Larry, Mark King etc etc? All very different. In fact MK has different slap tones depending on what bass he's using.

4 out my 5 basses are 32" and I love them, although 2" might not seem much I certainly find the stretches easier, especially when playing/fretting two notes at once. There are some things I can play on a 32" which I physically can't do on the 34".

The 34" is a fretless fiver, but the only reason I went for the 34" was that there are so few 32" fivers around, and none that I could afford.
However one advantage of the 5 string is that you can play a lot of things 5 frets up, so you're effectivley playing about a 27" scale. Obviously some tonal differences in playing 5 frets up however.

[quote name='4000' post='727522' date='Jan 28 2010, 01:12 PM']My Alembic Stanley Clarke was 30" scale and probably had my favourite slap tone of all the basses I've owned. It was a total flyer too. It all depends on what type of slap tone you like really. Marcus, Les, Larry, Mark King etc etc? All very different. In fact MK has different slap tones depending on what bass he's using.[/quote]

Agreed 100% My Rosewood fretboarded Bich bass is a Slap monster,the Ebony boarded one is quite good,but I think the Ebony strangles the tone a bit?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='727449' date='Jan 28 2010, 11:59 AM']In that case, definetly get the 34". The extra tension really improves the slap tone of a bass no end imo.[/quote]

QFT
I got an entirely custom 5 made at one point and it was 35.5". Was doing lots of low-B metal riffage and the extra length made everything really clear.
Was a bit of a bugger to play mind, but that's what practice time is for. Pity the poor DB guys!

[quote name='4000' post='727522' date='Jan 28 2010, 01:12 PM']My Alembic Stanley Clarke was 30" scale and probably had my favourite slap tone of all the basses I've owned. It was a total flyer too. It all depends on what type of slap tone you like really. Marcus, Les, Larry, Mark King etc etc? All very different. In fact MK has different slap tones depending on what bass he's using.[/quote]

I suppose you're right but when i stuck heavy strings on my bass i really thought it sounded great for slap. As i say, imo.

I'd usually go for a 34" scale bass for slapping because of the nice tension they have. But my Kubicki Ex-Factor was 32" and sounded incredible slapped. Stuart Hamm has had similarly good results - and the Status Kingbass is 32" scale and has one of the best tones on the planet! Furthermore, listen to Rose Colored Glasses by Animal Logic and tell me Stanley isn't getting a good slap tone there on his 30" scale Alembic!