Why become a member? ×

Battery drain on an active bass

zephead

Hi gang, my Simon Harper 5 string active bass has developed a fault where on fitting a new 9v pre-amp battery it drains to the point of being completely dead after a period of about 7 days! I tried the obvious solution of fitting a new output jack, but to no avail. The local music shop says it needs a new pre-amp, but it sounds great and plays fine apart from the battery draining - any ideas?

if you bought the bass new I suggest you contact the manufacturer direct as it should be covered under warranty, and even if it isn't they may be willing to help. I had a similar problem with my Spector Euro 4 that was due to incorrect wiring during assembly. Spector got in touch with the retailer who arranged for it to be repaired free of charge.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='725802' date='Jan 26 2010, 10:08 PM']You're not leaving the lead plugged in are you?[/quote]

+1

*Normally* the act of plugging in the jack is what connects the battery - without the jack plugged in, the only way for the battery to discharge (as long as it is wired correctly to start with) is to self-discharge, and with decent batteries that should take years...

[quote name='zephead' post='725762' date='Jan 26 2010, 09:28 PM']Hi gang, my Simon Harper 5 string active bass has developed a fault where on fitting a new 9v pre-amp battery it drains to the point of being completely dead after a period of about 7 days! I tried the obvious solution of fitting a new output jack, but to no avail. The local music shop says it needs a new pre-amp, but it sounds great and plays fine apart from the battery draining - any ideas?[/quote]

fit a switch....this however wont cure any draining circuitry which is causing the fault

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='725802' date='Jan 26 2010, 10:08 PM']You're not leaving the lead plugged in are you?[/quote]

Sigh! if it only were that simple! lol :) Nope the battery completely discharges itself unplugged over a period of approx 7 days. I considered fitting a switch but that would be ignoring the underlying problem. The bass is well out of warranty so no free repair unfortunately.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='726650' date='Jan 27 2010, 06:14 PM']Had a similar problem with my hamburger bass. The repairman ,kept it in the shop for about a week.
He ended up changing the jack.[/quote]

Logically thinking, seeing as the output jack acts as a switch then that would be the most likely area to concentrate on. However i have already changed the jack which made no difference. Maybe i need to use a certain type of jack - are there different types?

[quote name='zephead' post='726959' date='Jan 27 2010, 09:51 PM']Logically thinking, seeing as the output jack acts as a switch then that would be the most likely area to concentrate on. However i have already changed the jack which made no difference. Maybe i need to use a certain type of jack - are there different types?[/quote]

Yeah,Switcraft are allegedly the best. However,the repairman did all sorts of tests on my bass for a week ,before he came to the conclusion
to change the jack.

I had this happen to me.

It turned out to be a tag on the jack socket being in contact with the screening of the
electronic cavity. Hence the circuit was always switched on even with the jack
plug removed. I traced it with a diagram of the wiring and a multimeter. One
little bend of one of the jack socket tags and the problem was solved.

[quote name='zephead' post='726633' date='Jan 27 2010, 07:00 PM']The bass is well out of warranty so no free repair unfortunately.[/quote]
Are there any modifications at all? If not then warranties ain't worth Jack.... the goods sold to you have to be 'fit for purpose' for a certain period of time usually far exceeding the warranty. Contact the manufacturer direct. They may well be aware of the issue and sort it FOC (apart from courier costs of course). Their product and trading reputation demands this action.

Edited by tombboy

[quote name='tombboy' post='727653' date='Jan 28 2010, 02:46 PM']Contact the manufacturer direct. They may well be aware of the issue and sort it FOC (apart from courier costs of course). Their product and trading reputation demands this action.[/quote]

They may also be aware of the problem and be able to advise you of a fix

[quote name='Protium' post='726989' date='Jan 27 2010, 10:24 PM']You are using a stereo jack aren't you?[/quote]

I've just had a look inside the cavity again and noticed that one of the lugs on he input jack socket (there are 3 suggesting it is the correct stereo one) has no wire soldered to it. Also I found an earth wire flapping around that looks like it has never been connected to anything. I'm thinking it should be connected to the spare lug giving a proper stereo connection. Gonna solder it on and see if it makes any difference. Watch this space!

May I suggest that it isn't wise to simply solder odd wires to random tags that look like they might need them (although admittedly, it might work - in particular, that floating wire is a prime candidate for suspicion).

If a wire *has* been connected to that tag, then there *will* be signs of it having been there - ie. solder, and evidence of broken strands...

But the best approach woud be to:

i) Identify each wire as to it's purpose - where is it connected (it can't be too hard - there are very few of them)
ii) Deduce how each wire *should* be connected in order to achieve the desired result (connecting the battery circuit only when the jack is inserted).
iii) Make it so...

PS. Please be aware that if you manage to create a short circuit across the battery, and it is a nice new fresh battery, then it can potentially get hot enough to spoil your day...

Edited by AlanP2008

• 11 months later...