Why become a member? ×

HOW MUCH?!?!?!

karlthebassist

[quote name='neepheid' post='722098' date='Jan 23 2010, 12:39 PM']Apart from my first bass, I have never bought an instrument in either of our local shops. Prices are high, stock is low and rarely refreshes (one shop has been trying to sell a Gibson Thunderbird since I started seriously playing bass, it seems) and sometimes they can't even get it together to find me a half decent patch cable. I buy all my stuff online or by private transaction. The shops round here suck and apart from depriving me of a cheap laugh (the only cheap thing in there) [b]I probably wouldn't be too bothered if they shut or stopped pretending to sell basses[/b].[/quote]
Amen to that brother.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='723670' date='Jan 24 2010, 10:49 PM']No I didn't mean the shop taking the p*ss, certainly not - I've had some absoloutly cracking deals (and I mean AMAZING) in there in the past, and are a fantastic shop. I worded it a bit badly. I meant is it really costing this much more to produce and ship a bass to the UK for a shop to sell since the worlds economic turn, or have Fender just jumped the prices up using the economy as an excuse to make a few more quid? The mentioned Dean price rise and the Ibanez price rise doesn't seem quite as steep as Fenders.

The new Squire stuff is lovely, and as Rich said, you are in some cases looking at better value instruments compared to the MIM Fenders. How much more expensive could a MIM Fender possibly get befor people just won't buy them any more and get either the cheaper but equally as good Squire, or shell out more for the lovely MIA Fender?[/quote]

No probs m8! The Squiers are certainly fine basses - I really want the sonic blue one they've got in there - if I buy that, I will have a nice set of three CV basses!

Cheers!

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='724178' date='Jan 25 2010, 03:43 PM']No probs m8! The Squiers are certainly fine basses - I really want the sonic blue one they've got in there - if I buy that, I will have a nice set of three CV basses!

Cheers!

Nick[/quote]

do you mean the 51 P bass style one? that looked pretty sweet! see thats the problem, there is no mim option for basses like that - so are the days of the mim basses numbered?...

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='724214' date='Jan 25 2010, 04:04 PM']I was in my local shop the other day - there were some nice looking Corts in there, but the prices were unbelievable. One was £1300. I'm sure it was a nice playing & sounding instrument, but £1300 for an indonesian-built cort! :)[/quote]

What are manufacturers thinking? For £1300 I'd be looking at 2nd hand and a pocket full of change or going custom.

[quote name='Marvin' post='724226' date='Jan 25 2010, 04:12 PM']What are manufacturers thinking? For £1300 I'd be looking at 2nd hand and a pocket full of change or going custom.[/quote]
i'm not sure manufacturers have that much choice in the matter. almost every side of the economy got battered, so it was only a matter of time before finished products reflected price rises.

I suppose its as much of a case of everyone involved in the instrument from building to selling it in the store having to put their prices up a little. There are importers and exporters and distributers and all sorts of people adding a little bit before it even gets to the shops. If I were to guess, I'd bet that the stores are the people putting the less extra onto the price - because they have to be the most competitive. There is only going to be one main distributer for example, so they can pretty much do what they like with prices... within reason.

I know the sort of mark up many businesses put on their cost, but I am not going down that line!

I had noticed Promenade Music in Morecambe,50 miles away, had a bass I wanted desperately.
On their web site I saw the price as £988, so off I trundles with £900 of folding stuff in my pocket. That's what you are gonna get boys, I will be resolute.
Get's there after 1.5 hours (God bless the M6), plays it, wants to marry it.

Speaks to Garry (great bloke), wanting deal. £900 in foldy stuff in my pocket. Ticket price in store is £969.
Unfortunatelysays Garry, that is discounted (already £266 off) so can't go any lower.

Bugger. Wish I had put another £70 in my pocket, and had read the web site properly. Too embarrased to do another 100 mile round trip and certainly won't order over internet.

Shame mind. Wonder how many businesses would say no to £900 on a Saturday afternoon, handed over, no other labour /admin costs.

Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' post='724560' date='Jan 25 2010, 09:07 PM']I know the sort of mark up many businesses put on their cost, but I am not going down that line!

I had noticed Promenade Music in Morecambe,50 miles away, had a bass I wanted desperately.
On their web site I saw the price as £988, so off I trundles with £900 of folding stuff in my pocket. That's what you are gonna get boys, I will be resolute.

Speaks to Garry (great bloke), wanting deal. £900 in foldy stuff in my pocket. Ticket price in store is £969.
Unfortunatelysays Garry, that is discounted (already £266 off) so can't go any lower.

Bugger. Wish I had put another £70 in my pocket, and had read the web site properly. Too embarrased to do another 100 mile round trip and certainly won't order over internet.

Shame mind. Wonder how many businesses would say no to £900 on a Saturday afternoon, handed over, no other labour /admin costs.

Karl.[/quote]

Ive done this a few times, and usually it works. I had a chat with Gary as well and he seems like a decent bloke. Im shocked anyone would turn down £900 for a bass without any effort (eg sending etc etc). I always think its best to make an offer on this kind of equipment.

You have to remember that heavily-discounted prices can be both your friend and your enemy. That P-Bass bargain will bite back when you want to sell it again.

I had a guy a few years back who came in waving his print-out from some online shop selling a Roland bass combo for peanuts. I had to match the price. He also wanted to part-exchange a Martin acoustic he'd bought for £1100. A quick Google Shop showed the same guitar for £899 new.

See what I mean?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='724771' date='Jan 26 2010, 12:56 AM']Ive done this a few times, and usually it works. I had a chat with Gary as well and he seems like a decent bloke. Im shocked anyone would turn down £900 for a bass without any effort (eg sending etc etc). I always think its best to make an offer on this kind of equipment.[/quote]

It sounds like the shop had already given maximum discount. I'm with them on this one. You can't just turn up with the amount of money YOU expect to pay and then diss the shop for not taking it.

That's a tad unfair IMO. Retailers know the difference between doing a good deal and being a soft touch.

Give them [i]some[/i] credit.

[quote name='karlfer' post='724560' date='Jan 25 2010, 09:07 PM']I know the sort of mark up many businesses put on their cost, but I am not going down that line!

Karl.[/quote]

I'm sorry but I can't believe you expected the shop to just knock almost £100 off just because you'd travelled a fair distance. 'That's what you are gonna get boys'? I'm not surprised they refused with that attitude.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='davidmpires' post='724235' date='Jan 25 2010, 04:20 PM']My Spector almost doubled up since I got it 3 years ago. Blame the economy. but that also means that I get more money if I decided to sell it, which I won't :)[/quote]

Yeah ... but it's like house prices rising all the time. You can only actually benefit if you then don't spend the proceeds on a replacement bass (or house) as they have also gone up.

My intent was never to diss the shop, I was disappointed at my research and the fact that I had put what I thought was an adequate budget, in cash, in my pocket. Gary was a great gut to deal with, but I fully understand the need to keep the P+L on the straight and narrow.
Mainly because I got a bit excited and didn't read the web site properly.

They still have the bass, which no doubt they will get their £969 for sooner or later.
Just in terms of work involved, money tied up in stock (that must be a real horror in guitar shops), probably credit card charge, perhaps £900 in the bank there and then might not have been such a bad idea. Especially with no part-ex to work through, no ordering/receiving/admin, as it was in stock

Never mind. I will spend my money elsewhere, they will sell the bass, nobody was injured.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='724842' date='Jan 26 2010, 08:58 AM']I'm sorry but I can't believe you expected the shop to just knock almost £100 off just because you'd travelled a fair distance. 'That's what you are gonna get boys'? I'm not surprised they refused with that attitude.[/quote]

Hiya, sorry I was just responding to a previous comment when I noticed this.

I didnt expect them to knock almost £100 off.
Distance is my responsibilty, my choice, not theirs.
I asked for a deal, for £69 off for cash, no part ex/no credit card charges. They said no. I don't think I have disrespected them in anyway. If I have I apologise unreservedly.

"Thats what you are gonna get boys" was never said to anybody but my own mind, as a mental reminder to myself to stay within budget.

Sorry if this is coming across all wrong, all I wanted to do was share a disapointing experience that was mainly of my own making.
Perhaps if I had had the sense to have a little extra cash, or my credit card I would have that wonderful bass. Perhaps somebody else might learn from my mistake.

Finally I am writing this as I await an urgent delivery for my own business and every hour is costing me money. I am very much aware of mergins.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='724842' date='Jan 26 2010, 08:58 AM']I'm sorry but I can't believe you expected the shop to just knock almost £100 off just because you'd travelled a fair distance. 'That's what you are gonna get boys'? I'm not surprised they refused with that attitude.[/quote]
I think they were mad not to take his 900 CASH! Speaking to the boss/manager would probably of made the sale.

Karl.[/quote]

This is exactly why loads of music shops are going under.
£900 cash in hand or £970 minus credit card charge, postage, packaging, labour time and shop floor space. No brainer IMO.

They still have the bass of my dreams in at this moment, and I still have my £900.

They are some fantastic basses in Bass Chat at this moment, but none of them are exactly what my heart desires, sad but true.

I will eventually weaken and find they sold it an hour before! That's because I am a pillock.

[quote name='Johnston' post='731008' date='Jan 31 2010, 08:03 PM']I must have weird tastes in basses.

The dearest bass I've bought was the epi T-bird at £270 despite playing every bass in the shop it was the only one I liked including fenders, 'rays and warwicks.

Was out looking on Saturday played a real lovely looking squire jazz, natural finish, block inlays loved the look hated the feel. None of the expensive stuff tickled the eyeballs. The only bass I was tempted to buy was the Epi EB-0 from the starter pack. So tempted to order one online without the pack for a wallet busting £130.

I can't imagine paying £900 for a bass mainly because I've seen one I liked !!![/quote]

It's all subjective, I had a T bird once, loved the sound,loved the look,hated the feel especially the neck dive.

I am paying £900 as I have just sold my 1974 Jazz after 22 years of ownership. It got too valuable to gig. This next bass will probably be the last I buy, so £900 over probably 15 years more playing before retirement (if God spares me) doesn't work out that much ( a lttle over £1 /week).

[quote name='Johnston' post='731008' date='Jan 31 2010, 08:03 PM']I must have weird tastes in basses.

The dearest bass I've bought was the epi T-bird at £270 despite playing every bass in the shop it was the only one I liked including fenders, 'rays and warwicks.

Was out looking on Saturday played a real lovely looking squire jazz, natural finish, block inlays loved the look hated the feel. None of the expensive stuff tickled the eyeballs. The only bass I was tempted to buy was the Epi EB-0 from the starter pack. So tempted to order one online without the pack for a wallet busting £130.

I can't imagine paying £900 for a bass mainly because I've seen one I liked !!![/quote]

Lucky.