Why become a member? ×

Derek Forbes Selling Wal Basses on E-Bay

bassatnight

Folks,

For anyone interested ex Simple Minds and Propaganda bassist Derek Forbes is selling his beloved pair of Wal Basses on E-Bay one fretted and one fretless.
These babies have a great track record and were used on many Simple Minds recordings and gigs. Mind you will need 10 grand to get them both!

Steve.

Not that I am a name dropper :) but have been in contact with Mr Forbes, I agree they are overpriced I think he is going for the fact they were used on recordings by Simple Minds in fact he put a few links to him playing them live. I understand he has had an offer close to £5k for the fretted from a Fan in Italy but can't see him getting what he wants.

Interesting thread. I actually thought his pricing was about right. Wals are still attracting a lot of interest in the US, and then there's the connection with Simple Minds, which is helped even more by the fact that it's the original bassist who is now selling them. The only thing I'd suggest would be that he makes sure that the sale gets a lot of exposure in the US and Japanese markets, as I'm sure there'd be heaps of collectors willing to throw decent money at these basses.

[quote name='MB1' post='721671' date='Jan 22 2010, 10:26 PM']MB1. :)
A pair of Wals with many a story to tell!... however
...At Five Grand a Bass!.... The Bank Manager will be singing... "Dont you Forget about me!" :rolleyes:[/quote]

That's a good point about stories to be told. He should be listing all the songs (especially big hits) that he recorded with the these, as well as tours and notable shows he did with them. It's one thing to buy a bass owned by someone famous that that person hardly ever touched, but a collector will be all over an instrument that was used to record major hits.

Edited by bassaussie

Giblins an excellent bassist but for me the rawness of Forbes made Simple Minds, the bass practically disappeared from their songs after he was booted out by Kerr.[quote name='crez5150' post='721711' date='Jan 22 2010, 10:21 PM']I much prefer john giblin....[/quote]

To be honest I don't think he is really that fussed if they sell or not, he is just having a clear out. There are links to him playing them on you tube he played the fretted on his last tour with the band in 84/85. I agree though he would be better advertising in the states.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='721675' date='Jan 22 2010, 09:31 PM']That's a good point about stories to be told. He should be listing all the songs (especially big hits) that he recorded with the these, as well as tours and notable shows he did with them. It's one thing to buy a bass owned by someone famous that that person hardly ever touched, but a collector will be all over an instrument that was used to record major hits.[/quote]

[quote name='bassatnight' post='721926' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:43 AM']Giblins an excellent bassist but for me the rawness of Forbes made Simple Minds, the bass practically disappeared from their songs after he was booted out by Kerr.[/quote]

I agree, John is a great bass player but I don't think he filled the hole that was left by Derek. I can't think of one memorable or stand out bass line on Once Upon A Time. Also, Derek says the reason he left SM was because he became lazy and was enjoying the high life to much. Enjoying the partying a little to much. He admits its all his own fault.

I'll be talking to him in the next week or so and should be seeing him in March. I'll ask him about his Wal's. I would love to have a go although I sooner play his red precision.

Dereks a really decent bloke and very approachable unlike some other ex pop star bass players - step forward Mick Karn! Your right about him milking it a bit in 85 but I get the feeling theres no love lost with Kerr.[quote name='Linus27' post='721971' date='Jan 23 2010, 10:05 AM']I agree, John is a great bass player but I don't think he filled the hole that was left by Derek. I can't think of one memorable or stand out bass line on Once Upon A Time. Also, Derek says the reason he left SM was because he became lazy and was enjoying the high life to much. Enjoying the partying a little to much. He admits its all his own fault.

I'll be talking to him in the next week or so and should be seeing him in March. I'll ask him about his Wal's. I would love to have a go although I sooner play his red precision.[/quote]

[quote name='bassatnight' post='722062' date='Jan 23 2010, 11:59 AM']Dereks a really decent bloke and very approachable unlike some other ex pop star bass players - step forward Mick Karn! Your right about him milking it a bit in 85 but I get the feeling theres no love lost with Kerr.[/quote]

Intersting what you say about Mick Karn. I don't really know anything about him apart from he plays fretless bass. However, a friend of mine did vocals for him on one of his albums. It was some competition thing and she won and he never even bothered to turn up at the studio or thank her.

Met him a few years back in London and tried to start up a conversation about his Bass playing with Japan he just stared straight through me. I don't suppose he minded whn the likes of me were buying his records back in the day! although judging from his recent biog he didn't make much money, it all went to the blonde fella.

As we are name dropping :) Gary Tibbs is a top bloke for those that recall Adam and the Ants and Roxy Music, always ready to talk about all things bass!

[quote name='Linus27' post='722071' date='Jan 23 2010, 12:06 PM']Intersting what you say about Mick Karn. I don't really know anything about him apart from he plays fretless bass. However, a friend of mine did vocals for him on one of his albums. It was some competition thing and she won and he never even bothered to turn up at the studio or thank her.[/quote]

[quote name='Linus27' post='721971' date='Jan 23 2010, 10:05 AM']Also, Derek says the reason he left SM was because he became lazy and was enjoying the high life to much. Enjoying the partying a little to much. He admits its all his own fault.
.[/quote]

He's being truthful but discreet!

• 2 years later...