Why become a member? ×

Flats on a J ?

Bikenbass

[quote name='MSL' post='715489' date='Jan 17 2010, 10:35 AM']Hi,
Just bought La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats (standard gauge). Any one tried them on a Jazz? Pleased or not? I know it's very much personal taste but...

Thanks in anticipation, Mark[/quote]
I have the same strings on my Nash Jazz bass. They work really well (better than TI Flats as more tension). Not as much clank as rounds, self-evidently, so not for slappers or those wanting a very bright Jazz sound. I like a traditional deeper sound and they are great in this context.

I just got a set of TI flats from stringbusters for my ibby & coupled with the mf-101 I'm getting an amazing bassy sound just like I've been looking for. I'm seriously considering defretting it now, but may just save for a 5er & defret it.

BTW, where did you get the La Bellas? I tried to get em but everywhere was out of stock.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='715897' date='Jan 17 2010, 07:05 PM']I just got a set of TI flats from stringbusters for my ibby & coupled with the mf-101 I'm getting an amazing bassy sound just like I've been looking for. I'm seriously considering defretting it now, but may just save for a 5er & defret it.

BTW, where did you get the La Bellas? I tried to get em but everywhere was out of stock.[/quote]

String Busters. Silddx posted they had a delivery last week.

EDIT:

Just checked String Busters web site, La bella's still in stock.

Edited by MSL

[quote name='MSL' post='715711' date='Jan 17 2010, 03:00 PM']Thanks for the input chaps, much appreciated. Since buying the Jazz from Phil Mann last year, it's rapidly grown to be my favourite bass, sounding fantastic with La Bella Hard Rocking Steels, but I'd like to try to get a deeper, bassier tone.
Regards
Mark[/quote]

I don't think flats are necessarily deeper or bassier than rounds, the true difference in tone is more qualitative than quantitative, i.e., it's no so much more bass or less treble, as much as a different type of sound. For example, the attack and decay on La Bellas DT's is very different to those on most rounds, whilst TI Jazz Flats, despite having quite prominent highs, have none of the zing you expect from rounds. As to whether they work on a Jazz, if they sound right to your ear and for your music, they work.

C