Why become a member? ×

Highway 1 Fender P Bass

Jigster

Was in retail when these first came out and stocked them. Originally, they were using the previous Fender hardware - i.e. when they updated the standards the Highway One inherited the old pick-ups etc. Now, by the look of things the pick-up is the same but you get a BadAss on the cheaper bass. Also, the BIG difference is the satin finish on the Highway One - was a big issue among a lot of players who wanted their gloss. (oh, and a gig bag, not a hardcase, so add another £80 for a Hiscox).

[url="http://www.fender.co.uk/products/view_specs.php?full_partno=0190460&name=American+Standard+Precision+Bass%26reg%3B"]http://www.fender.co.uk/products/view_spec...n+Bass%26reg%3B[/url]

[url="http://www.fender.co.uk/products/view_specs.php?full_partno=0111360&name=Highway+One%26trade%3B+Precision+Bass%26reg%3B"]http://www.fender.co.uk/products/view_spec...n+Bass%26reg%3B[/url]

Get out and try some - as with all Fenders (all basses?) some have "it" and some don't.

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='713757' date='Jan 15 2010, 02:00 PM']Was in retail when these first came out and stocked them. Originally, they were using the previous Fender hardware - i.e. when they updated the standards the Highway One inherited the old pick-ups etc. Now, by the look of things the pick-up is the same but you get a BadAss on the cheaper bass. Also, the BIG difference is the satin finish on the Highway One - was a big issue among a lot of players who wanted their gloss. (oh, and a gig bag, not a hardcase, so add another £80 for a Hiscox).

[url="http://www.fender.co.uk/products/view_specs.php?full_partno=0190460&name=American+Standard+Precision+Bass%26reg%3B"]http://www.fender.co.uk/products/view_spec...n+Bass%26reg%3B[/url]

[url="http://www.fender.co.uk/products/view_specs.php?full_partno=0111360&name=Highway+One%26trade%3B+Precision+Bass%26reg%3B"]http://www.fender.co.uk/products/view_spec...n+Bass%26reg%3B[/url]

Get out and try some - as with all Fenders (all basses?) some have "it" and some don't.[/quote]

well yeah I tried one out last week - it's a used model but had a nice tone - not sure this had a Badass - kinda liked the satin finish - the pups were my main concern, what sort of output tone quality

[quote name='Jigster' post='713774' date='Jan 15 2010, 02:14 PM']well yeah I tried one out last week - it's a used model but had a nice tone - not sure this had a Badass - kinda liked the satin finish - the pups were my main concern, what sort of output tone quality[/quote]

The pups are US standards I think. From what I can tell from the ones I've looked at a played in shops... The pup and the finish are the things that differentiate them from MIM upgrades. The MIMs have the tougher finish and the HW1s have got US stock pups.

The necks feel and look the same. And apart from the HW1s with badass brigdes, the hardware & electrics are exactly the same as the MIM upgrades.

I've never really got the appeal of the HW1 really. As far as I can tell, they're US assembled inferior finished MIMs with a stock US pickup in.

I think a better bass is a good MIM upgrade with aftermarket pup, changing the pup is a lot easier and less stressful than changing the finish.

[url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0111300B/SD0111300BPg3.pdf"]HW1 p bass parts list[/url]

[url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0136100A/SD0136100APg3.pdf"]MIM p bass upgrade[/url]

Actually, the necks do have different part numbers - but to be honest, that could just be decal.

Edited by bigjohn

Whats the big deal with the finish.....

Its a thin nitro cellulose finish that is supposed to be thin and also wear quickly to give it the " on the road " look (road =highway in the US)

Its a US bass with US parts pretty much the same as the US std but with the thinner nitro finish.

They are a very good P bass providing you like the used look. It is not an inferior or cheap finish it was designed that way.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='714032' date='Jan 15 2010, 05:13 PM']Whats the big deal with the finish.....

Its a thin nitro cellulose finish that is supposed to be thin and also wear quickly to give it the " on the road " look (road =highway in the US)

Its a US bass with US parts pretty much the same as the US std but with the thinner nitro finish.

They are a very good P bass providing you like the used look. It is not an inferior or cheap finish it was designed that way.[/quote]

Ok. I perhaps inferior was a bit harsh. Cheaper to manufacture and less hard wearing? :)

They are excellent basses - but like I said, they only differ from MIM upgrades in the finish and the pup. Other than that they're identical except for the decal (and being assembled 20 miles apart from each other). MIM upgrades are excellent basses too. That's what I meant by the "I never really got it" - if I wanted a US P bass, I wouldn't be after a highway one - simply because I don't consider them as models / parts to be any better than a MIM - which are cheaper. Obviously there will be stonkingly good examples - as there are MIM etc, etc...

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='Jigster' post='713774' date='Jan 15 2010, 02:14 PM']well yeah I tried one out last week - it's a used model but had a nice tone - not sure this had a Badass - kinda liked the satin finish - the pups were my main concern, what sort of output tone quality[/quote]

Ive had a HW-One P and still have a HW1 Jazz.

The original HW1 series had the thin Fender bridges and the second series (from 2006 onwards i believe) are called HW-One and have the BAII as standard, plus a graphite reinforced neck that im sure the MIM doesn't have.
The HW-one P (not sure about the jazz) also has a grease bucket tone control. This basically stops the lows from increasing when the tone control is backed off. The HW1 didnt have this. Personally i loved the tone of my HW-one although i did miss the extra thump you can get by turning a standard P tone control down.

Im one of those people who doesn't like the fact that the finish can practically drop off (like mine did in a few places). It makes the bass like tatty IMO and affects resale value.

As far as im concerned all this talk about its supposed to so it looks vintage is just an internet myth. I've never seen Fender say this.

EDIT: Im pretty sure the HW1 was mostly Mexican parts other than the pups and electrics but put together in the USA. It certainly wasnt all USA IIR.

Edited by dave_bass5

I use a black Highway 1 as my main bass and I love it. I like the finish and the fact that it will wear quicker was a big factor in buying it. It`s got a baddass that would cost about £60 to buy itself, like the look of the logo and I like the greasebucket tone. It also came in a nice gigbag. More importantly, it kicks a*s in a live situation.

At the end of the day you buy the bass that suits you be it usa or mim and as we all know, there are good and bad examples of both.

Jez

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='714094' date='Jan 15 2010, 05:58 PM']Ive had a HW-One P and still have a HW1 Jazz.

The original HW1 series had the thin Fender bridges and the second series (from 2006 onwards i believe) are called HW-One and have the BAII as standard, plus a graphite reinforced neck that im sure the MIM doesn't have.
The HW-one P (not sure about the jazz) also has a grease bucket tone control. This basically stops the lows from increasing when the tone control is backed off. The HW1 didnt have this. Personally i loved the tone of my HW-one although i did miss the extra thump you can get by turning a standard P tone control down.

Im one of those people who doesn't like the fact that the finish can practically drop off (like mine did in a few places). It makes the bass like tatty IMO and affects resale value.

As far as im concerned all this talk about its supposed to so it looks vintage is just an internet myth. I've never seen Fender say this.

EDIT: Im pretty sure the HW1 was mostly Mexican parts other than the pups and electrics but put together in the USA. It certainly wasnt all USA IIR.[/quote]

+1 on all above

The few I´ve come across are great instruments for the price-but ARE NOT on a par with the US Standard series basses.
The first production run of HW1 models used unfinished bodies and necks which were ´Hencho en Mexico´
Most of the hardware was also from south o´ the border.
The electronics were US, but to me there wasn´t a massive tonal difference between MIM and HW1 (first run)
I think this was just a way for people to buy slighly higher quality Mex instruments with ´Made in The USA´ stamped on the back of the headstock.
The newer ones, with the upgraded tone control are much better than the original run.
The finish is less greasy looking and doesn´t come off as easy, but still not as nice as colour offerings from other lines.
Tonally, they are much nicer now.
The neck on the current HW1 Jazz feels lovely (played one last night actually-borrowed from another band) and the overall feel of the bass was quite nice. Still very aware that it wasn´t a US Standard though. Don´t know why, but even holding it not plugged in, it felt that way.
Still, for what they cost, not the worst move anyone could make.
But for the price of a new one, you might be able to find a pretty decent second hand US Standard bass on here or eBay