Why become a member? ×

My First "Parts" Bass! - Finished

chriswilliams666

Hey Guys

Not much of a build, but more of an assemblence of parts for my ideal bass.

I wanted a "cheaper" bass to use for a couple of tunes my band play in a heavily dropped tuning, as i didnt want to be playing about with tunings and setups on my main basses. I've always liked the look of the Sid Vicious and DeeDee Ramones' P-Basses, but never got on with Precision necks. Also only wanted a volume control, but extra knob installed for show. So here's the parts list...

Body - Vintage Modified Precision - Supplied by [b]BurittoBass[/b]
Scratchplate - Vintage Modified Precision - Supplied by [b]BurittoBass[/b]
Pickup - Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder
Electronics - CTS Pots, Knobs and Switchcraft Jack - Supplied by [b]WD Music[/b]
Neck - Squier Classic Vibe Jazz - Supplied by [b]kets[/b]
Neck Plate - Black Allparts
Machine Heads - Black Gotoh GB9 Reversed - Supplied by Me!
Bridge - BadAss II - [b]Supplied by Bassmingo[/b]

Was fun putting it together, and thanks to the above guys for helping me source the parts! This bass sounds great!

Edited by chriswilliams666

Blimey, you don't hang about do you, I only sent that neck the other day!

Glad you like it, it's a stunning neck and that bass looks really good, well done.

I've got a bitsa bass myself which I might post here, although I didn't actually build it.

Kets

Very cool, my personal preference on this bass would be to replace the black tuners with chrome ones, not because I dislike black hardware, but just to match the bridge and knobs etc.

But other than that, looks really great. I've put together two parts basses, one is in the hands of Mythste now, and the other has been toured and gigged extensively and is just awaiting the neck repair back from Jon Shuker. I found both basses really enjoyable to put together, especially when a lot of the parts come from guys on the forum....kinda makes it feel like a group effort using my money haha.

Si

[quote name='kets' post='710877' date='Jan 13 2010, 08:42 AM']Blimey, you don't hang about do you, I only sent that neck the other day!

Glad you like it, it's a stunning neck and that bass looks really good, well done.

I've got a bitsa bass myself which I might post here, although I didn't actually build it.

Kets[/quote]
Thanks Kets. The neck was the last piece of the puzzle! I can't get over how nice this neck feels too!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='710984' date='Jan 13 2010, 10:20 AM']looks good. Yeah, maybe you didn't build it from the ground up or anything but at the end of the day you have basically got a custom bass now that is built using the parts you want and we all have to start somewhere with this whole bass building malarkey.[/quote]
I kinda enjoyed doing it, alot! Think i will try my hand at constructing a jazz next!

[quote name='Sibob' post='711038' date='Jan 13 2010, 10:54 AM']Very cool, my personal preference on this bass would be to replace the black tuners with chrome ones, not because I dislike black hardware, but just to match the bridge and knobs etc.

But other than that, looks really great. I've put together two parts basses, one is in the hands of Mythste now, and the other has been toured and gigged extensively and is just awaiting the neck repair back from Jon Shuker. I found both basses really enjoyable to put together, especially when a lot of the parts come from guys on the forum....kinda makes it feel like a group effort using my money haha.

Si[/quote]
Thanks for your input Si, i am going over to all black hardware. I'm after replacements on [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73244&st=0&gopid=711771&#entry711771"]this thread.[/url] Can you help? :rolleyes:

[quote name='cheddatom' post='711177' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:25 PM']No, replace all the silver with black![/quote]
See above!

[quote name='Killstarz' post='711203' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:49 PM']nice buddy. glad the pickups are to your liking :)[/quote]
They Sound Killer Man.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='711330' date='Jan 13 2010, 02:27 PM']Looks great Chris & I'm pleased you are getting more use out of (some of it at least) the bass than I did.[/quote]
Thanks Burrito! I think i mentioned at the time i preferred Jazz Necks with the P-Bass Sound. It had to happen one day. I'm loving the Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All Done.

All Hardware is now black. Sounds great too, now i've added a Duncan Quarter Pounder. Played a show last weekend with it.

I now want a Jazz Bass with PJ configuration in this style.

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='725804' date='Jan 26 2010, 10:10 PM']Slowly changing the hardware over to black now, i love the tuners so much i have to go black. So its gonna look good!

Just had a Black BadAss II arrive from [b]waynepunkdude[/b]

Will post more pics soon![/quote]