Why become a member? ×

Fernandes Rickenbacker Copy (any good?)

dwh87

I stumbled upon this earlier browsing through the bass gear on Ishibashi, has anybody tried one? It has had a little work done on it but looks to be in good condition.

I am not expecting it to be top quality but it is only £66 with the current exchange rate and another £120 shipped to my door (excluding import tax)

They also have this little beauty for less than £400 delivered

Snap it up!

Besides the probable total price of around £230 (substantially cheaper that any other lesser 'fakers you'll find) IT"S GOT WAVY TUNERS AND TOASTERS! AND AN ORANGEY LOOKING BOARD! If it's got twin truss rods that might be the most accurate looking copy I've seen.

These are gorgeous - I saved the pics of this one to drool over & cry a little:

[attachment=39603:fernfront.jpg]

Tuners are actually chunky Schaller M4S copies but don't hold that against it - you'll want a 70s Matsumoku copy if it's wavy Grover fakes you're after!

So anyway - who made these? Depends on the date, but Fernandes seem to have been made by Kawai & Tokai at different times.

Have you bought it yet? I'd crack on if I were you, 'cos if you don't I'll have it! :)

Jon.

I played one of these at the Frankfurt trade fair in about 1984. I owned a Rickenbacker 4001 at the time & I honestly thought the Fernandes was better.
Fernandes made a load of copies of well known basses & guitars & they were all superb. They were making a Jaco Pastorious
Jazz bass replica years before Fender got round to doing it.

Just worked out why the strap buttons have been moved - they're not the originals. These are accurate enough copies to even have the knurled/threaded bolts that the real thing has - the same part as the mute adjuster screws. Presumably they've been removed/lost & replaced with standard buttons.

Not really threatening to buy this - I've already got 3 Rickenfakers!

J.

I asked about it earlier. After a decent Rickenfaker as I´ll never part with the money for a real Ric-far too expensive IMO.
Guessing I wont hear back till tomorrow though.
Chances are its long gone though
What are they(IshiB) like to deal with?
any horror stories?

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='basshead56' post='704711' date='Jan 7 2010, 08:22 PM']I asked about it earlier. After a decent Rickenfaker as I´ll never part with the money for a real Ric-far too expensive IMO.
Guessing I wont hear back till tomorrow though.
Chances are its long gone though
What are they(IshiB) like to deal with?
any horror stories?[/quote]

I have heard nothing but good stories about dealing with them.

If you work out the time difference when you email them you can have everything sorted in an hour. They are very quick and helpful.

For what it's worth;
I've got one of these under the bed, bought it years ago in mint condition (second hand, Denmark st), foolishly took off (and lost) the truss-rod cover.
I also have a feeling that I took off a pick-up cover which would have made it look even more 'realistic'..

Yes, two outputs and they do work the way they should,
but
No, it's a single tuss rod (and a b****r to get a spanner onto).

I can't compare it to a genuine Rick (as I've never played one) but I do like it (it is currently modelling black nylon tapewound stings which lok rather nice and sound very 'warm'..).

Sounds like a bargain to me since a lot of the Rickenfakers I've seen look a bit iffy but then black (yes I know it's 'jetglow') must be eaier to get right than natural wood or that reddish sunburst that looks really cheesy if it's copied badly..

oh yes, and the string mutes really do work just in case you only really want a (very) dull thud out of your bass...

Go on, someone buy it, it looks lovely.