Why become a member? ×

Hey from London

mazathemonster

That's London UK, not Canada. :rolleyes:

My name is Mazarra, Maza for short. I'm 18, female. I'm very new to bass, I've only recently brought my first bass (I named him Cory!) and just joined this site to meet fellow bassists.

I'm attempting to teach myself as money is tight, I brought a bunch of books and so far so good. I'm kinda counting on practice making perfect. :) And also, a friend of mine reckons that girls are naturally good bass players. He may just be pulling my leg.. any idea if there's any truth to that?

HI Maza

Welcome aboard - always nice to hear from other London bass types - I'm in Brixton myself - not sure ALL women make great bass players but I'm lucky to gig a lot with a superb drummer called Sophie Alloway and she grooves brilliantly and unlike a lot of male drummers has a wonderfully understated style - any gig with her on drums is always great. There are loads of amazing female bassists out there - Meshell Ndegeocello, Esperanza Spalding, Tal Wilkenfeld, Rhonda Smith, Yolanda Charles just for starters - all with different approaches and very cool attitudes.

If you want to learn a lot of great technical stuff here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=31"]this forum[/url] is packed with good advice on everything from picking techniques to theory from the basic stuff to some pretty out there advanced things too - don't be shy to ask any questions too as there are loads of pros, and very knowledgable types (same difference :) ) - who will be happy to answer them - but a heck of a lot of stuff has been covered here so do bung a couple of key words in the search box and there's probably already a few posts already on the site.

Happy posting and keep up the practice - little and often is my moto - just do some every day if you can.

Cheers

Mike

Welcome aboard Maza. The self-teaching approach works fine (in my experience) to begin with, but once you've got the gist of it you may find you learn faster by getting out there with some like-minded souls. The old adage "An Ounce of Application is worth a Pound of Theory" has a lot going for it!

Have a hunt around for any local Jam or Open Mic nights - I started going to these about two years back & I reckon I've learned more in that time than in the previous 10 jamming at home to my record collection!

Pete.

[quote name='Shaun' post='705586' date='Jan 8 2010, 03:21 PM']Greetings.
I am in Putney, London.
Good luck with your bass playing.[/quote]

Cheers! :)

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='705610' date='Jan 8 2010, 03:39 PM']Greetings.

I've never had a lesson in my life and I'm a world famous rock star now.*[/quote]

Oh wow, awesome! Congrats on the success.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='705691' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:32 PM']Those Westfield purple P-Basses look cool... It's a shame that that Fender don't offer the same colours all these cheap makes do![/quote]

LOL! That almost seemed like a dig at my cheap bass. :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome Maza!

For all the joys of self-teaching I would definitely suggest getting some lessons (even if jjust occasional ones) if you can. I dabbled with bass for many many years (I was originally a drummer) but it was only when I got a bit more serious about bass and started taking some lessons that I realised what a huge difference it makes when you can be guided and encouraged by a good teacher. I've not been at it that long myself and I'm astonished by how I've progressed - far beyond what I would originally have imagined (or perhaps I just had very low expectations! :rolleyes: ).

I was also very lucky to have one of the best - Phill Mann (he's on here) - but I would definitely recommend that getting some lessons will direct your learning and speed your progression (and enjoyment).

The main thing, though, is to play and have fun! :)

Mmm all these London bass players... we should have a bass party...

[quote name='Netballman' post='718780' date='Jan 20 2010, 10:29 AM']Mmm all these London bass players... we should have a bass party...[/quote]

Funny you should say that...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72161"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72161[/url]

Hunting for a venue at the moment.

Pete.