Why become a member? ×

Duff McKagan's old '85 Jazz Bass Special (allegedly)

Clarky

Possibly one for you GnR maniacs - thats if you believe the blurb ....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Special-1985-Owned-by-GUNS-N-ROSES_W0QQitemZ200425042797QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2eaa43736d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Spe...=item2eaa43736d[/url]

Edited by Clarky

Im not sure this is genuine. I have been a Duff/GNR fan for years as many of you know and can see in my signature. When GnR got there first paycheck when they got signed Duff bought a White Jazz Special, and later a Black One (Possibly given to him by Fender) Any after that were custom made for him by Fender and adorned various stickers on the front which this doesnt show any signs of wear.

Another worry for me is that Duff always wore elaborate belts and his guitars suffered a heck of a lot of buckle-rash. This again, shows no sign of wear.

The knobs are also non original and not even the ones Duff has on his custom shop guitars.

Another factor is that the bass is stated as 1985. GNR formed in mid '85, when Duff played a crappy Yamaha. Duff didnt buy a Jazz Special till March '86 when Geffen signed them and gave them there first pay check... and it was WHITE! I'm pretty sure he didnt get a Black one until at least 2 years after this for the big tours with Aerosmith etc.

[quote name='karlfer' post='702108' date='Jan 5 2010, 08:53 PM']Having seen GnR open the 'Maidens show at Donnington 88, very impressed at how a thrown about Duff bass has maintained it's good looks?
(Sadly Gnr were s^!*e at that gig)[/quote]

Ive got the exact bass they're selling. Although mine is better! haha

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='702135' date='Jan 5 2010, 09:11 PM']I put one on here for a lot less than that and it had no takers (wasn't too worried as it was a mates). :rolleyes:

I expect ChrisWilliams666 will be along shortly. :)

Not overly convinced by the ownership credentials I have to say...[/quote]

[quote name='karlfer' post='702108' date='Jan 5 2010, 08:53 PM']Having seen GnR open the 'Maidens show at Donnington 88, very impressed at how a thrown about Duff bass has maintained it's good looks?
(Sadly Gnr were s^!*e at that gig)[/quote]

I was there. Couldn't see much of them. It was the fist time I saw a crowd running backward and forward at a gig simultaneously.Dangerous.
Thought they were good ,altho' they were too big for the early support slot on that tour.
They played 'patience' which altho' is imho a classic ,wasn't released at the time . We were baffled as to
what all the whistling was about :)

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='702299' date='Jan 5 2010, 11:20 PM']Do you remember how much for and if it was advertised as a Ex-Duff?[/quote]

I remember it being advertised 'ex-Duff' by a Californian muso in Bristol in a hurry to sell it, to raise some cash.
I recall the asking price was around £600.

Edited by nick