Why become a member? ×

UK made Ashdown MAG600 Evo I, Hartke LH500 or Little Giant 1000?

Delberthot

Spotted this last night:

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-MAG-600-EVO-I-%28Limited-Run%29~ID~11199.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...29~ID~11199.asp[/url]

I knew there were issues with the Chinese made ones in the past but does anyone know what's in them? Do they have ABM Evo I parts? Etc?

Seems like a really good deal since it has the bare minimum of features which is something that I like.

I think I'll email Ashdown and see what the score is.

Edited by Delberthot

I bout the evo II a few months ago, only difference is the evo II has the built in ompressor.

The head is awesome and so simple to use, I think the ABM would be cool to use but there are just too many dials.

I would be suprised if this head last long on their shelves as its a alot of watts for your money.

The amp although seems basic, does give a huge amount of tonal change. All in all dudes its awesome.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='698644' date='Jan 2 2010, 12:15 PM']Spotted this last night:

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-MAG-600-EVO-I-%28Limited-Run%29~ID~11199.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...29~ID~11199.asp[/url]

I knew there were issues with the Chinese made ones in the past but does anyone know what's in them? Do they have ABM Evo I parts? Etc?

Seems like a really good deal since it has the bare minimum of features which is something that I like.

I think I'll email Ashdown and see what the score is.[/quote]

like a said I have the evo II and possibly looking for something diffent either in way of head or my ampeg B4x10hlf cab.

if you fancy off loading that 8x10 you have or other heads i would be interested :)

I do have a habit of changing gear often but I don't even have the 8x10" yet. Just bought it the other day so it won't ship until tomorrow at the very earliest, possibly tuesday.

Purpleturtle on Ebay were doing a crazy deal of a mag 810 for £329 delivered and I've always wanted one while I'm still young enough to be able to lift it.

I do have my Trace Elliot V-type combo on Ebay just now though with the intension of selling it to buy a new head. If it doesn't sell then I'm probably going to make myself a sleeve and take the amp out of the combo cos it sounds amazing but it would mean having a redundant combo box to store somewhere so I'd rather sell it. I've been using it with a series 6 Trace Elliot 1518 cab and am in two minds whether or not to sell that as well or keep it for really small gigs although both cabs have the same footprint.

Received this first thing this morning

[quote]Morning Derek,

Thanks for the email and a happy new year to you. We did indeed do an exclusive Ltd run of Evo 1 MAG 600H's a few months ago for Soundslive. At the time we had no stock of the Chinese made Evo 2 and so wanted to produce something to fill the gap whilst people were waiting. The head comprises of the same components you would find in a MAG 600 Evo 1 head but these were built, tested and covered at our new manufacturing facility in Maldon Essex. Hope this helps and of course one of these heads should pair up with your new 8x10 very nicely.

All the best and any other queries or questions just ask.

Regards,

Lee Alexander

Ashdown/Hayden/Zemaitis/Lodestone UK Sales Manager[/quote]

Now that the details have been confirmed (i'd be surprised if they didn;t use the same components in the ABM range as well) I'm now trying to decide between 3 heads:

The UK Made Ashdown Mag 600

The Chinese (?) made Little Giant 1000

The Hartke LH500

or should I save up a bit more and get:

Orange Bass Terror

Another Genz Shuttle 6.0

Gallien Krueger 700RB II

I agree. Get the GK.

I've never really found the MAG amps to my taste (wooly) and I'm sure I've read some not so very nice things about the Little Giant build quality. Obviously, that could be hearsay as I've never owned one.

The Hartke gets a good write up but I can't help but thinking if it's that good, why are loads of folk flogging them not just on this forum but on ebay? I think it'd probably be quite good, but the thing that puts me off is the fact the controls are so simple. On the other hand, a lot of people find that refreshing. Plus, that's made in China as well, if that is an issue.

I'd go GK.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone's interested, I went with the hartke.Bought itfrom the classifieds here and just waiting for it to arrive. Merton's bound to think I'm stalking him cos I'm selling the trace v-type combo he used to own and have gone with the amp he replaced it with as well. I did win a watch though with my cab - because of the weather, the mag 810 I bought couldn;t be collected by their courier so they had ashdown send one directly and instead of getting one of the older ones with the blue speakers, I got one of the new Evo II ones

[quote name='Delberthot' post='712784' date='Jan 14 2010, 05:20 PM']Merton's bound to think I'm stalking him cos I'm selling the trace v-type combo he used to own and have gone with the amp he replaced it with as well.[/quote]
Clearly you're just a man of impeccable taste :)