Why become a member? ×

Overwater Jazz 5 - Now Sold

molan

I'm having a bit of a New Year's 'tidy up' of my bass collection. I'm currently standing at nine basses & I simply don't have enough time to play them all so I'm going to start thinning them down a little

It's a really tough call as the nine I have are all stupidly nice & it's taken me a while to get such a nice collection!

Of the ones I'm putting up for sale this has been probably the toughest decision as I just love this bass & it looks great in the flesh. The pictures really don't do it justice. Overwater build quality is great as well, nothing over-engineered, it all just works perfectly :)

The finish is quite tough to photograph as a flash makes it look whiter than it actually is. It really does have the look of an older bass so the guys at Overwater must have done something to the finish / paint to get it to look like a nice faded yellowy/white colour. The tort guard works really well against the white finish as well.

It's set up pretty low and is really easy to play. Although it's a 35" Scale it somehow feels more like a 34". There's something about the way this bass hangs on a strap that just makes it feel 'right' every time you strap it on :rolleyes:

It has a set of really nice Kent Armstrong pickups and a John East J-Retro circuit which gives loads of flexibility in tonal options. I think the core tone is relatively 'dark' and quite 'Fendery' but the East really allows you to dial in a whole host of different sounds (it also has the active / passive switch for more options!).

Here's a really nice video of previous owner, Simon Merrick, playing it:

I'm not really looking for trades this time around as I'm trying to thin down the number of basses I have but I would consider something that was easy to sell on like a US Fender. Having said that you never know - if you have something interesting to trade then feel free to throw it at me, lol.

I'm happy to ship pretty much anywhere & have no problems selling outside of the UK smile.gif

I'm in no rush to sell so won't be taking 'silly' offers on the price I'm afraid.

Watch this space for more basses up for sale soon!

Edited by molan

[quote name='owen' post='698388' date='Jan 1 2010, 09:33 PM']Do I need a new bass? No.

Do I fancy that one? Yes![/quote]

Lol - it's a real delight to play.

If something else sells then this is the one I'm most likely to hang onto. There's something about it that just feels really nice. I don't play it very often and have never gigged it but every time I take it out the case I smile.

In fact I used to leave it standing in my study just to look at now & then - definitely fits into the 'functional art' category :)

[quote name='Rumple' post='698576' date='Jan 2 2010, 10:12 AM']That's an absolute stunner!

Out of my league at the mo' but out of interest what is the string spacing at the bridge?[/quote]

Funnily enough this bass has had the most interest out of the three I have up for sale - what a lot of traditionalists we are eh :rolleyes:

I'm fairly sure it's 19mm but I'll get my ruler out later today & have a measure up :)

[quote name='molan' post='698657' date='Jan 2 2010, 12:28 PM']Funnily enough this bass has had the most interest out of the three I have up for sale - what a lot of [b]traditionalists[/b] we are eh :rolleyes:

I'm fairly sure it's 19mm but I'll get my ruler out later today & have a measure up :)[/quote]
Very true!

So what happened to that lovely Alembic you were selling? Were we all too traditional & cash-poor for it?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='698688' date='Jan 2 2010, 12:45 PM']This is a stunning bass. What is the overall condition like? To me it looks great :)[/quote]

It has a few small dings here and there but nothing remotely nasty.

I know this may sound silly but the dings actually help with the vintage vibe in my opinion, lol.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='698692' date='Jan 2 2010, 12:51 PM']Very true!

So what happened to that lovely Alembic you were selling? Were we all too traditional & cash-poor for it?[/quote]

It's now residing happily in Surrey with a fellow BC'er & getting played more than it was in my house, lol.

[quote name='molan' post='698707' date='Jan 2 2010, 01:04 PM']It's now residing happily in Surrey with a fellow BC'er & getting played more than it was in my house, lol.[/quote]
Glad to hear it! That was an amazing bass... as is this one! Good luck with the mass clear-out..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='698769' date='Jan 2 2010, 03:12 PM']Glad to hear it! That was an amazing bass... as is this one! Good luck with the mass clear-out..[/quote]

In fact the Shuker i also have up for sale came my way in the PX deal :)

[quote name='Golchen' post='699265' date='Jan 3 2010, 09:06 AM']Looks a peach of a bass. How much you selling for out of interest?[/quote]

£1,000 - it's in the title of the listing but I forgot to put it in the text anywhere!

[quote name='molan' post='699449' date='Jan 3 2010, 01:13 PM']£1,000 - it's in the title of the listing but I forgot to put it in the text anywhere![/quote]

Doh! Me thick.

Looks very nice indeed. I don't have that kind of spare cash for another bass right now :) but good luck with the sale.

[quote name='Golchen' post='699563' date='Jan 3 2010, 02:22 PM']Doh! Me thick.

Looks very nice indeed. I don't have that kind of spare cash for another bass right now :) but good luck with the sale.[/quote]

My fault - should have said it was £1,000 in the main body text somewhere :rolleyes:

... Thank God for that!...
This bass (along with the Sei 5 that used to belong to Gwilm; the Sei 5 that Sshorepunk just sold, and: Dub Junkies Godlyke Deity fretless 4) have been responsible for so much GAS at chez Sub-a-dub that I was considering serious "treatment" of a radical nature (self mutilation maybe: concrete block & anvil meet 2 fore-fingers type thing...) . Anytime they have appeared for sale I have either: just purchased something else; gas boiler explodes; engine falls out of car ... or some other calamity befalls one of the Sub-a-dub brood... I am beginning to think that it is just not meant to be - at least for the moment...

Anyway congratulations on the pending sale...
Best regards,
Sean