Why become a member? ×

Which loud bass amp & cab for me?

keefman

Hi all,

I have had previous bass rigs and the size of the rig has gone up and down more often than a pair of bride's knickers.

Unsure as to what's hot and receommended at the moment. Have seen Ampeg SVT series, MarkBass' offering, and Ashdown. I am tempted by a lightweight amp and cabs, but understand the compromise of less speakers.

Currently have a Behringer BX4500H head and Aguilar 112 cab. May keep these for rehearsals and small gigs.
Need something beefier and louder to not feel drowned out on stage. Out front is fine - all instruments run through PA.

- I'm looking for a head and cab capable of medium to large venues.
- I play rock/soul/motown/blues with a MusicMan Stingray
- I don't rely on pedals for my EQ, just a good built-in preamp
- I like a warm punchy sound where possible
- XLR DI out needed of course
- I like the Ampeg 810, but don't like the idea of one heavy cab. Perhaps 2 x 410 cabs?
- Budget not too restrictive.

Suggestions welcome please!!!

Keefman, Yorkshire, UK

Edited by keefman

What other instruments are you up against? It seems like you are just looking for personal stage monitoring so I think an 810 is overkill! Another GS112 or DB112 and an LM2 could be good. A quality neo 410 would also work for all sizes of stage. You could get yourself on the Barefacedbass northern tour and hear one of Alex's cabs. There is a Compact and Big One currently doing the rounds.

Hi Keefman,

I've a few things for sale including Warwick Tubepath 10.1 (1000w) & Schroeder 410L for sale .. nice combination.
I'm in Bradford btw so you can come round & try out some time ..

cheers

Simon

ps. see my 'topic' thread for more info or give us a call perhaps