Why become a member? ×

music dealers near gloucester

martinbass7750

Hi Folks,

I've been promised a new gig bag for my Lakland for my birthday, but the local shops don't have much choice.

Can anyone recommend a shop in a 40 mile radius of gloucester which stocks a decent range of gig bags (and preferably doesn't charge the earth).

I been trawling the net for a couple of hours, but haven't really come up with any shops, and I want to 'try before I buy' so don't really want to buy on-line.

Also, any thoughts on which gig bags to look at? Ritter, Gator etc?

Cheers

Martin

Edited by martinbass7750

Hi Martin,

Don't bother with shops (I'm in Bristol) - sorry if that sounds a bit miserable, but they don't ever seem to carry decent bags. Look at Thomman in Germany? The Warwick bags are fine for general use. The "better" ones are actually a bit better, so spending nearer £40 will get you more padding than £25 but still the same basic design. I've used a "Royal Premiun Line" for a couple of years with no problems. I think the fake leather ones were the best quality/price I've seen, but they are harder to find.

The best I've seen are the Levy's canvas and the Harvest canvas (Overwater), both pricey but very durable.

Good luck

BB

I agree with bassBod. I've never been to a shop with an actual good aray of gig bags especialy for bass.

Plus near gloucester no chance nearest I would say is PMT in birmingham or soundcontrol birmingham. But then again dont remember there been a large range at either. Onlines the way forwards. Id go with a tribal planet GX40.

[quote name='Sugden' post='76712' date='Oct 19 2007, 08:10 PM']I agree with bassBod. I've never been to a shop with an actual good aray of gig bags especialy for bass.

Plus near gloucester no chance nearest I would say is PMT in birmingham or soundcontrol birmingham. But then again dont remember there been a large range at either. Onlines the way forwards. Id go with a tribal planet GX40.[/quote]

Thanks for all the replies.

I like the look of the tribal planet gx40, but so far I haven't been able to find an on-line dealer selling them - ebay doesn't show any at the moment.

Any idea who might be selling them on-line?

Cheers

Martin

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='76731' date='Oct 19 2007, 09:09 PM']I like the look of the tribal planet gx40, but so far I haven't been able to find an on-line dealer selling them - ebay doesn't show any at the moment.

Any idea who might be selling them on-line?

Cheers

Martin[/quote]

I recently got one off of ebay, from a seller called "davesmusicaccessories", he gets them in batches of 5 or 6 from time to time. Can go for a song, free shipping too. They are a bit bulkier than your average gig bag but offer more protection. If you're ever in swindon give us a shout and check mine out.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='76751' date='Oct 19 2007, 09:54 PM'][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tribal-Planet-electric-guitar-gx15e/dp/B000NIRIOU"]Right here![/url] These certainly look nice - I might get one myself if I have to keep carrying basses around...[/quote]

Dont buy this one!!

Its the guitar version and also only the gx15 now I think thats the lighter model but Im also sure the price isnt that different from the GX40 so it depends what level of protection you want.

But you want the (if you want the strong one) GX40B

Strangely the B stands for bass...

[quote]Aroundabout Sound is the best shop going, they don't stock lakland but im sure you could get they man in there to get you one[/quote]

I often visit Mark at aroundabout sound - but it's a case I'm after, already have a Lakland :) I agree they're the best shop locally, but not much range of cases (like most shops it appears)

cheers

Martin

Edited by martinbass7750

[quote name='Sugden' post='76816' date='Oct 20 2007, 12:32 AM']Dont buy this one!!

Its the guitar version and also only the gx15 now I think thats the lighter model but Im also sure the price isnt that different from the GX40 so it depends what level of protection you want.

Strangely the B stands for bass...[/quote]

yup, already worked out I want a GX40B - I found the Tribal website, but no links to uk dealers. Music Essentials seem to be the uk distributor, but they don't have any links to retailers.

I've sent an amail to davesmusicaccessories via ebay, so I'll see what that brings.

cheers

Martin

[quote name='BeLow' post='76863' date='Oct 20 2007, 09:16 AM']Not sure if you can view these posts but if this link works there is a fair bit on this.

[url="http://www.finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=1295&highlight=gigbag"]http://www.finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=1...ighlight=gigbag[/url]

This is the feller on ebay and it would be worth keeping an eye on what is coming up as they seem to sell them from time to time for good prices - if you can be patient.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GX40-B-Electri...c"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GX40-B-Electri...c[/url] mdZViewItem[/quote]

Hi BeLow,

Can't view the posts on finnbass - need to register.

The ebay link is broken - can you check please?

Cheers

Martin

[quote name='parker_muse' post='76882' date='Oct 20 2007, 10:11 AM']Hey,

Yeah mark in aroundabout is a legend (and coincidently one of my best mates dad... so i could haggle some money off!)
All around great shop, love it in there[/quote]

yes, they actually have a separate room for Basses and Bass amps etc... the other shops merely have a few feet of wall space for the basses...

[quote name='Sugden' post='76816' date='Oct 20 2007, 12:32 AM']Dont buy this one!!

Strangely the B stands for bass...[/quote]

Oops! :) AIDSelicious - I assumed they'd have bass ones there too but apparently not

[quote name='martinbass7750' date='Oct 19 2007, 07:52 PM' post='76700']
Hi Folks,

I've been promised a new gig bag for my Lakland for my birthday, but the local shops don't have much choice.

Can anyone recommend a shop in a 40 mile radius of gloucester which stocks a decent range of gig bags (and preferably doesn't charge the earth).

I been trawling the net for a couple of hours, but haven't really come up with any shops, and I want to 'try before I buy' so don't really want to buy on-line.

Also, any thoughts on which gig bags to look at? Ritter, Gator etc?

Cheers

Martin

MB1. :huh:

Sorry!....Thought you were after the names of dealers in Gloucester?? :)

[quote name='MB1' post='76981' date='Oct 20 2007, 02:24 PM']MB1. :huh:

Sorry!....Thought you were after the names of dealers in Gloucester?? :)[/quote]

no worries - I think I've visited all the dealers around gloucester during the last 3 years, aroundabout sound is definitely the best for bass. I popped in today, but they don't have any decent gig bags in stock, only entry level (which I already have).

I'll keep watching davesaccessories on ebay.

Thanks for all your replies.

Cheers

Martin

[quote name='martinbass7750' date='Oct 20 2007, 05:57 PM' post='77052']
no worries - I think I've visited all the dealers around gloucester during the last 3 years, aroundabout sound is definitely the best for bass. I popped in today, but they don't have any decent gig bags in stock, only entry level (which I already have).

I'll keep watching davesaccessories on ebay.

Thanks for all your replies.

Cheers

Martin

MB1. :)

Martin, wrong sort of bags,wrong sort of dealers mate........There was a joke there originally honest! :huh:

[quote name='BeLow' post='76705' date='Oct 19 2007, 07:59 PM']Tribal planet GX40 on ebay - there is a dealer there selling them, come up from time to time from as little as £17. Good protection - almost a hard case in fact but not as compact as others.[/quote]
+1 for the Tribal Planet products - excellent quality!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='77912' date='Oct 22 2007, 10:33 PM']Found aroundabout sound today after living in Cheltenham for seven weeks, great place even managed to finally play a KSD, which i loved but sadly cant afford![/quote]

yup - they're definitely the best shop around this area, and all the guys in there can play too (maybe that's why it's the best shop?) Best for drums is probably cheltenham soundhouse, just up the road. Martin (the owner) is pretty handy on the kit.

I'll probably be corrected on that one by any drummers reading this, although there probably won't be any so I'm safe!