Why become a member? ×

Fairdeal Music Ltd in Birmingham

2wheeler

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but it isn't a review of equipment and I couldn't find and better home for it...

Fairdeal Music Ltd in Birmingham
[url="http://www.fairdealmusic.com/"]http://www.fairdealmusic.com/[/url]

Before hopping on the train back home to York, I nipped across the road from Birmingham New Street station and had a look round their basses. I said I was looking for a 4 string and wanted to know more about what you got with active pickups (having a battery-free, passive bass at the moment).

They gave me a Yamaha BB415 to try, which is definitely not a 4-string bass and I don't think it has a pre-amp. Their price was identical to the GAK price for a BB615 (I just found that out and it made me cross enough to bother writing this up).

Although I thought it was a great bass they clearly weren't really listening to me and the salesman admitted he was a guitar player not a bass player. It really didn't put me in the mood to buy anything so I left with my marriage intact -- ooops I mean money unspent - hang on, it's the same thing :)

I would welcome a defence from anybody who is involved with Fairdeal Music.

They were friendly and seemed helpful but now I am checking up on the details I think some of what I was told was just plain wrong, or at least got me confused and left me with the wrong impressions.

Can anyone suggest a better shop? I go to Manchester from time to time, and I travel round the South for work and visiting family.

[quote name='Buzz' post='76673' date='Oct 19 2007, 07:15 PM']On the mention of Brum shops, apparently Sound Control stock Ashdowns' Lodestone basses, someone please go have a wander in and report back for the good of the community.[/quote]

Week after next I shall be in there :).

Guest Bald Eagle

It's too small and hot in there for one, many many moons I tried an active bass in there - well it would have been if the battery wasn't flat, they seemed a bit clueless then. :)

I still don't reckon there is anywhere decent in Birmingham for bass gear...

Sound Control stock is just laughable.

PMT is ok if you want a Sandberg.

Jeez, I miss the Bass Centre.

As for Fairdeal... not much in there to talk about I am afraid.

Brum is cr*p now for bassists, PMT are friendly enough and have some decent stuff in but not an extensive range (couple of Mesa and MB), Soundcontrol range is a joke and fairdeal??> the only thinhg I've ever bought from there is a strap. If you're after an Ashdown and a Fender you're okay, for anything else forget Brum.