Why become a member? ×

Warwick - New circuit?

Randy_Marsh

I've got a 1996 Warwick Corvette, im really happy with the bass and its one of the basses i know i'll keep for a long time, but recently i've become a bit tired of the passive electronics and want to try something new. So i want to get an active circuit, but i have absolutely no idea whats good etc

so i'm just after a bit of advice - iv thought of the MEC active circuits but iv heard the Aguilar OBP's are good too!

help needed lol

The MEC units are good, i'd try both a 3 band and a 2 band before buying though, i would prefer to have a mid control on my Warwicks

I prefer the Aguilap OP3 in my Zoot to any other pre i've heard, if i was fitting a circuit to a passive bass that would be my first choice. It's got a great mid-range which i really like. There was a thread about Warwicks and Aguilar preamps recently on the Warwick forum:

[url="http://forum.warwick.de/10-warwick-basses/10579-aguilar-obp-3-preamp.html"]http://forum.warwick.de/10-warwick-basses/...p-3-preamp.html[/url]

I've posted this before, but I upgraded the preamp on my mid-nineties Streamer to a Aguilar OP1 a few years back.

The results were brilliant and i can't recommend it enough.

The Aguilar is a tight fit (it has 2 batteries compared to the Warwick single battery), but it does squeeze in. I paid a bloke that knew what he was doing which was worthwhile for me. But then again, I'm both slow and hamfisted!

Go for it!

[quote]I've posted this before, but I upgraded the preamp on my mid-nineties Streamer to a Aguilar OP1 a few years back.

The results were brilliant and i can't recommend it enough.

The Aguilar is a tight fit (it has 2 batteries compared to the Warwick single battery), but it does squeeze in. I paid a bloke that knew what he was doing which was worthwhile for me. But then again, I'm both slow and hamfisted!

Go for it![/quote]

Looks like i'll probably be going for the OPB-2/3. just a bit worried about whether it will fit, the corvette has a rather large cavity but im just wondering whether it will need some routing done, to house the battery :/

Edited by Randy_Marsh

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='695082' date='Dec 28 2009, 07:41 PM']Looks like i'll probably be going for the OPB-2/3. just a bit worried about whether it will fit, the corvette has a rather large cavity but im just wondering whether it will need some routing done, to house the battery :/[/quote]

Yeah mine is an 18v bass with seperate battery compartments, it still takes up quite a bit of space in the cavity though

You may be looking at having a cavity routed for a double battery box tbh

I'm actually the opposite of you mate. I had EMGs and a BT circuit in my corvette and got tired of them and went back to the passive MEC pickups and standard passive electronics.

I have to say I'd be tempted by the ACG filter pre if it were me. Been considering one for my Shuker for quite some time (currently set up with EMGs and standard volume/volume/tone).

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='695394' date='Dec 29 2009, 09:38 AM']I was thinking the exact same, only problem is its a bit of a distance. Do you know if i could just post them my bass and then have it posted back when the works complete?[/quote]

Hiya, still got the Corvette! Good stuff.

I've posted basses to the Gallery with no problems at all. Good move getting it upgraded, its what I would have done.

[quote]Hiya, still got the Corvette! Good stuff.

I've posted basses to the Gallery with no problems at all. Good move getting it upgraded, its what I would have done.[/quote]

Hey, yeh iv still got the vette. Bloody love it too, just think it's got a bit more potential and doing this should make me even happier with it

[quote]I've got a 96 Corvette modified with EMG active pups, and an EMG circuit (3 band cut and boost, with a sweepable mid). Sounds great to me, lots of tonal variation.[/quote]

Yeh, i reckon that or maybe the MEC circuit would definitely be plan B. Love EMG pickups but iv never really tried one of their circuits, but im guessing it'd be pretty top notch

[quote]I've got an OP2 (might be an OP1 , I can't remember ) in my SSI. It's running at 18V and sounds great with EMG pups[/quote]

Hmmm, just having a read about the OPB2 it does sound a bit tempting with it saying its designed to fit into smaller control cavities... I'd still probably need a battery box routing though. They all sound so tempting!!

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='697280' date='Dec 31 2009, 03:50 PM']Hmmm, just having a read about the OPB2 it does sound a bit tempting with it saying its designed to fit into smaller control cavities... I'd still probably need a battery box routing though. They all sound so tempting!![/quote]

You definitely won't need any routing doing mate. The Warwick control cavities are big enough for the pre + 2 9v batteries. I'll take a pic of mine and post it here sometime over the next couple of days for you to have a look at.

[quote]You definitely won't need any routing doing mate. The Warwick control cavities are big enough for the pre + 2 9v batteries. I'll take a pic of mine and post it here sometime over the next couple of days for you to have a look at.[/quote]

That would be awesome! Thats taken a massive load off my mind now :) how hard are the OP's to fit?

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='697333' date='Dec 31 2009, 04:57 PM']That would be awesome! Thats taken a massive load off my mind now :rolleyes: how hard are the OP's to fit?[/quote]

It's an OPB-2. This was fitted at the same time as some EMG pickups, but it wasn't done by me so I can't really advise as to the difficulty of the job :)

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='699466' date='Jan 3 2010, 01:23 PM']thanks a lot for getting that up. I should be able to manage the OBP3 and 1 battery then i reckon. Just need to buy it and get it fitted, then maybe some new pickups[/quote]

Sounds good. I'd recommend wiring it as 18V to get the best out of it though. If your Corvette has 3 pots on it already then it's probably the OBP-3SK/PP version that you want to go for as this would be the most straightforward installation, i.e. you won't have to do any routing/drilling. This version has the stacked Bass/Treble pot with the push/pull mid pot.

[quote]Sounds good. I'd recommend wiring it as 18V to get the best out of it though. If your Corvette has 3 pots on it already then it's probably the OBP-3SK/PP version that you want to go for as this would be the most straightforward installation, i.e. you won't have to do any routing/drilling. This version has the stacked Bass/Treble pot with the push/pull mid pot.[/quote]

wouldnt that be the OPB3TK/PP?

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='699908' date='Jan 3 2010, 08:06 PM']wouldnt that be the OPB3TK/PP?[/quote]

The TK/PP has separate treble and bass pots with the push/pull mid pot. This needs 4 control routes on the front of the bass for 4 pots - the 3 I've mentioned plus the volume. The SK/PP only needs 3 as the treble and bass pots are stacked into 1. Most Corvettes from this era only had 3 pots? I might be wrong, but if you only have 3 then it's the SK/PP that you need to go for if you're trying to keep it as simple as possible.