Why become a member? ×

strings for acoustic

bigd1

This may seem like a silly question but, I use flats on my electric basses. I have just bought an acoustic bass and I really don't like the strings that are on it, they seem to be acoustic strings. Is there any reason I should not put flats on an acoustic ? I don't think it would do any harm but, if anybody knows different please let me know.

Ta very glad Dale :)

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='688262' date='Dec 18 2009, 12:08 PM']The only problem that I can think of is that you may find that you are little too quiet and mellow when played unplugged.
If you're using the bass plugged in then it's probably fine , I've got black nylon flats on my acoustic fretless, unplugged- dull and quiet, plugged -cavernous.[/quote]

+1 to that. If you only play unplugged then rounds are a necessity, and I would recommend Elixirs, but if you are plugging in then flats are an excellent choice.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='688262' date='Dec 18 2009, 12:08 PM']I've got black nylon flats on my acoustic fretless, unplugged- dull and quiet, plugged -cavernous.[/quote]

I think black nylon strings sound great on acoustic basses. Mind you, they sound great on electric basses too :)

My new Tanglewood Rosewood Reserve TRB CE Electro Acoustic Bass delivered today. Its ex demo so I got it at a little over half price on ebay. It was immaculate except for the strings which were rough feeling & had the typical acoustic bass scratchy sound. I had also ordered a set of TI AB344 which arrived last week, so I put them on. Blummin 'eck the bridge pins are a bit of a struggle, but I discovered the knack and with the TIs on it sounds wonderfully rich and smooth.

Then I plugged it in - wow very uprightly. Its much easier to play with the TIs. I'm chuffed with it - it should be loud enough for acoustic rehearsals. The missus isn't too happy about me getting another bass, but I've talked her round & she's going to pay for it as my xmas pressie.