[attachment=38411:IMG_0363.JPG]
[attachment=38410:IMG_0361.JPG]
[attachment=38409:IMG_0360.JPG]
[attachment=38408:IMG_0359.JPG]
[attachment=38407:IMG_0358.JPG]
[attachment=38406:IMG_0357.JPG]
[attachment=38405:IMG_0356.JPG]

What do you guys think?
Does it look all there?-aside from the mojo and EMG'ing thats gone on.
From the picks I gather it is all proper anyways (78)
I hope to pick it up on Monday, and it won't be costing the world, by any means.

I think in the current climate and just before Xmas for around £500 that's a good bet, and if it's a great player perhaps more. However, it doesn't look like the mods have been particularly well done (DIY even?), and as the Doc suggests, if the PUPs aren't set up for the config you might find balance between them can be a bit problematic (I've played a few 70's Precisions with this particular mod and all too often the J-PUP is very weak compared to the P-PUP).

Good luck either way

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='687122' date='Dec 17 2009, 10:51 AM']And I'm not sure a battery compartment right under the bridge is a good idea?[/quote]

Hmmm...didn't spot that first time round - not good.

If the bass is cheap enough, I wouldn't say avoid but it's definitely not the best example of that kind of mod.

I wondered if you had a thing for 1978 as your kit already lists a 1978 bass? I have both a 78 bass and a 78 Bassman head and like that year as I started school in the January of that year. Personally I don't care for that mod but it seems very popular on that era. If the price was right I certainly would not be put off, I just wouldn't use that pickup! I like the look of that bass though.

thanks lads for all your input.
Yeah, the battery compartment under the bridge is my only real concern.
It´s actually very close to the 500pound mark, which I don´t see as being extortionate.
And yeahBurritobass I do have a thing for 78 P basses :rolleyes: - the very first bass I ever saw, touched or played was a 78-my mates dad´s one when I was a kid.
I plan on maybe un-doing the jazz pup from the wiring and just leaving it in the body (not a huge fan of the PJ config). But thats after I have a whirl on it and see how it all sounds and feels of course.
Cheers guys :)

This 'may' be of interest... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71183"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71183[/url]

Even if you left the Jazz pup turned off (the volume control is ideal for that :) ) the Nordstrand on it's own sounds fab. :rolleyes:

Edited by warwickhunt

Update.
Ok guys, I am now the proud owner of a wicked if somewhat worse for wear 78!
It sounds great though.
First off, the neck is straight and smooth as the proverbial baby´s.
Frets seem to be in good nick and loads left in em.
No dead spots or buzz of any kind, anywhere.
The paintjob was a little surprising upon opening the case. Was expecting what I saw in the pics (obviously an LED flash camera makes everything look pale and interesting-worked for my ex...baddumm-tsch!) not what I got though- the only Olympic White bit left on her, is on the butt of it above the bridge. The rest has turned to that most interesting of finishes bongwater/nicotine yellow! Always wanted one-it worked for DeeDee and Glen Matlock!
Few nicks and dings, but not as bad as I thought it would be! phew!
Machine heads are tight, no rattles or buzz or anything
Bridge and screws, saddles etc are rustier than the Titanic, but are saveable-unlike the Titanic (had my tech look at her already and he´s going to work on her tomorrow!)

Never mind the aesthetic Bo****ks, Here´s the sound bit.
Tried it out through an Ampeg SVT450 and classic 410He.
Lovely warm, round sound. Sounded way deeper and mellow than I thought-was expecting a more buzzy, twangy EMG sound. nope, pure P bass!
The Jazz pup needs lowering on the treble side as the G string was insanely loud with that pup run solo.
Still trying to decide what I´ll do pup-wise. Since they are not originals, i can strip em out and add either passive Duncans or try and source original 78´s.
Weighs a tonne and think my shoulders have seperated carrying the bloody thing around all day yesterday and today (had to brave icey roads, snow and a total of 13hours on busses-thank god for iPods,newspapers and Guy Pratt´s literary genius!)
Original case included-proper 70´s Fender one with orange plush/felt.

And all for the paltry sum of a cup of coffee, 40 odd euros in travel and 500 euro for the guitar.
i´m well chuffed :)