Why become a member? ×

Preamps/DI's

bassjamm

Hello people,

Well, I've just embarked on this whole studio recording at home lark.

I've got my mac, Line6 Toneport UX2, Reason, and Garageband.

I'm thinking i'd like to get myself a preamp with some valves in to warm up the signal before it gets to the UX2, if I could also use the preamp in my bass rig it'd be a huge bonus, just to add a bit of warmth is all.

I've been looking about, and i'm torn between getting something like an Ampeg SVP-Pro bass pre, which is obviously very much for the bass, or something like a little Presonus TubePre/Art Tube MP.

But I also thought about getting a good quality DI box, like a Reddi or Groove Tubes brick, or if I could find a second hand Manley DI box.

I'm not exactly clued up on all this, so I'm not sure what would be better.

What are peoples thoughts on this little fix?

[b]EDIT: I'm not just thinking about something for recording bass here...but vocals and guitar as well maybe.[/b]

Thanks
Jamie

Edited by bassjamm

I'd recomend a Boss Bass Limiter LMB-3 Pedal if you want a cheap solution. I've used one to boost the DI signal at a gig once. Also, the Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI is a very good recomendation. They really do boost the warmth of your signal.

Also mate, nice setup, i've got basically the same as you, but i use Abelton, Reason and Line 6 Toneport UX2 into my Laptop running WinDOWNS Vista Premium. Really good setup actually. But also, i use the DI XLR out on my bass amp to connect to the XLR input on the UX2 and i get such a warm signal. Would be nice to add a SansAmp inbetween that though haha

StevieD

i'd go for the hartke VXL bass attack. Versatile, does grit, has a lovely tone to it, very similar to valve (arguably) without the huge price tag. Has DI out (pre and post EQ switch so you don't annoy the soundman at gigs), a nice EQ, plus some other goodies. I've had mine for a while now, and always use it when i'm recording, and I find it gives a lovely tone going just straight plain into my mixer/recorder.

Also, remember not to add any amp modelling once it's gone through your toneport. burgh!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='685498' date='Dec 15 2009, 06:06 PM']Thanks for the input guys. Would be cool to hear some thoughts on some more Studio-esque gear though.[/quote]

Some questions for you:

1. What's your budget
2. Is the pre/DI you are after only intended to be used for bass or do you mean for running other signals through?
3. Is the toneport also acting as your audio interface?

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='685711' date='Dec 15 2009, 09:01 PM']Some questions for you:

1. What's your budget
2. Is the pre/DI you are after only intended to be used for bass or do you mean for running other signals through?
3. Is the toneport also acting as your audio interface?[/quote]

Hey mate...

1. Probably about £150
2. Ideally bass, vox, guitars etc, but if i find a nice bass pre/DI i'd make do for now.
3. Yes, the main reason for having the UX2 is for audio interfacing, not modelling.

Thanks for all the other suggestions people...

J

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='686029' date='Dec 16 2009, 08:19 AM']Hi Jamie - I've just done some recording with an Aguilar Tone Hammer, it's a superb piece of kit and I'd recommend one highly.[/quote]

Hello mate. How you doing? Thanks for the input...I'll keep it in mind, although I'm ideally after something valve based.

Jamie. Currently going through something similar. Looking for a valve based DI box, preferably with two balanced outputs, preferably with EQ, preferable with compressor, preferably runs from IEC power.

Lots of options, but difficult to find exactly what you want. I tried the Summit TD-100 and Summit TLA-50 at Bass Direct at the weekend and was well impressed - the main issue with that is that they're around £400 each, and wouldn't have an EQ sectino unless I forked out another £550.

I went through this process about a year ago and settled on the Phil Jones Bass Buddy. Five band eq, big fat warm DI signal, and probably the best compressor I've used. This thing is so musical it beats the legs of preamps ten times as expensive.

Thanks again fellers...

I'd be interested to see what you guys reckon regarding something for all round use though, not just bass specific.

To be honest with you, if I go down the bass pre amp route, I know pretty much exactly what I want. But at the moment, I'm exploring something more for warming up anything that I put into my laptop, so guitar, vocals, percussion, bass etc.

I guess I haven't really made that clear...sorry.

I've got a presonus Firestudio it has 8 ins and each one is a dedicated pre amp (class A according to the bumf) my valves are in my bass pre and my mics so I get warmth there and a really clean in from the presonus, (which is firewired to the mac)
I think to make a really solid decision you need to be sure about your maximum requirement and just overshoot that a bit. There's nothing worse than always wanting a little more than you've got and having to upgrade when you haven't had the use of what you have bought.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='685766' date='Dec 15 2009, 09:43 PM']Hey mate...

1. Probably about £150
2. Ideally bass, vox, guitars etc, but if i find a nice bass pre/DI i'd make do for now.
3. Yes, the main reason for having the UX2 is for audio interfacing, not modelling.

Thanks for all the other suggestions people...

J[/quote]

Sorry for the delay. Long sessions all week.

Ouch. that's a tough one. To be frank you arent going to get a decent valve pre for that price. Anything in that range will be what's known as a starved plate design (which really means the valve isnt actually doing anything anyway). To be frank though, the whole valve thing is overblown. By 'warmth' people generally mean a mild but pleasing distortion being added to the signal. Many solid state designs do that at least as well. Even the next level up of valve equipment, such as the Art Pro VLA (which can be pretty useable on bass especially if you swap out the valves for mullards or the like) are really not much good for vocals etc. So, reasonable pres at that pricepoint? I can think of only two: the Rane MS1B is a bit of a giant killer. Pretty amazing for the price point but is at the cleaner end of the spectrum; or in the alternative, if you can manage a bit of DIY the Fivefish audio kit is amazing value and provides excellent quality. Alternatively, save up a bit more cash and buy yourself an FMR RNP. This is a genuine pro-level pre. You'd be astonished by the results you can get with it.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='687788' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:49 PM']Sorry for the delay. Long sessions all week.

Ouch. that's a tough one. To be frank you arent going to get a decent valve pre for that price. Anything in that range will be what's known as a starved plate design (which really means the valve isnt actually doing anything anyway). To be frank though, the whole valve thing is overblown. By 'warmth' people generally mean a mild but pleasing distortion being added to the signal. Many solid state designs do that at least as well. Even the next level up of valve equipment, such as the Art Pro VLA (which can be pretty useable on bass especially if you swap out the valves for mullards or the like) are really not much good for vocals etc. So, reasonable pres at that pricepoint? I can think of only two: the Rane MS1B is a bit of a giant killer. Pretty amazing for the price point but is at the cleaner end of the spectrum; or in the alternative, if you can manage a bit of DIY the Fivefish audio kit is amazing value and provides excellent quality. Alternatively, save up a bit more cash and buy yourself an FMR RNP. This is a genuine pro-level pre. You'd be astonished by the results you can get with it.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Hey mate,

Thanks for your reply. I know I'm asking a lot for the money etc.

I'll certainly give your reply some thought though.

I've been giving things a bit more thought as it happens, and I'm wondering if maybe I should just concentrate on getting myself a good bass sound sorted first, so a pre-amp or DI that would be pretty nuts for the bass, rather than trying to get something for everything at this stage. That way I could incorporate it into my live sound as well as my little studio setup. Does that make sense?

Thanks
J

Best budget bass DI i have come across is the BSS AR 133. It too is at the clean end of the scale. If you wanna pitch in more than that the A Designs Reddi is hard to beat (unless you can get your hands on an Evil Twin). I gotta say though if I were you I'd keep an eye on fleabay for a used FMR RNP . At around £350 new you get two great DI's and two great genuinely professional quality preamps. You might get one for a couple of hundred second hand in the current market.

And don't forget the old adage, buy cheap buy twice. It's incannily reliable when it coems to pro-audio.