Why become a member? ×

String Gauge

Pow_22

Ive always used Rotosound Rounds (45-105) but recently had a bit of a prob in the rehearsal room. I like to play my bass VERY bassy, i even want the G & D string to sound deep. Anyway, after much messing around i seem to have nailed the sound..BUT...everything sounds sweet on the A & E strings but when i go up top for some fills or mini riffs the sound kinda gets lost. I dont think its the height of the pups or anything because they seem fine. I think its just i have my sound SO bassy that the upper notes get lost. I was wondering what changing to a heavy gauage (50 - 110) would do to the sound, anyone done this switch before have any opinions?

not sure if the thicker gauge would give a boost in bass frequencies. increasing gauge is usually a solution to tension issues. maybe some serious eq'ing would sort it out. something like a 32 band. picking on flats will produce lots of clicks.

Edited by Mog

Sometimes heavier gauge strings can give more harmonics or overtones to the sound, which might make the your tone a bit "fuller"... Or adding a bit more middle to your EQ should give more definition. Not sure what you mean by a "bassy" sound!? Do you just mean roll all the top end off, or set all the bass/low-mid knobs to 11?!

Its all very well flapping your own trousers, but if there is no definition to the sound nobody will be able to hear what you are playing! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote]everything sounds sweet on the A & E strings but when i go up top for some fills or mini riffs the sound kinda gets lost[/quote]
Sounds to me like an EQ problem. Are you sure that you're not cutting too much of the mid/upper-mid frequencies to get your "VERY bassy" sound?

I agree the problem is more to do with the EQ then the string gauge. You could try a hybrid gauge so you aren't making the E and A thicker but you thicken up the D and G - however your solution lies in the EQ. I mainly play fingerstyle but do use a pick sometimes and do play with flatwounds. I like the sound. There was a thread this week about Mike Mills of REM having a great tone using a pick with flatwounds. So yeah, you can do - I guess it depends how you play. I probably favour 70/30 towards fingerstyle but the pick on flatwounds still gets me the desired tone I want.

cheers for the reply peeps. Seems my problem maybe more serious. I use a TE BFC cab (1x15 bottom n 4x10 top all in one cab). Anyways, without previously noticing (only used it twice) it seems only the 15'' is working. Ive started a thread in the Amps section for recommendations. Ta