Why become a member? ×

Mushy sounding A-string

Beer of the Bass

I have a Fender Highway 1 Jazz with a pre-grooved Badass bridge, strung with D'addario Chromes which are about 3 months old. Generally it sounds great, but the A-string is a little mushy and indistinct in its attack (at all positions) compared to the other strings. I'm trying to figure out if this is due to the shape of the saddle slot or something to do with the string. If the string is detuned and then tuned up again, it sounds fine at first, but goes mushy again after a few minutes of playing. I've tried adjusting the action, to no avail. Has anyone else with one of these bridges had this problem, or do I have a duff string?

Deffo sounding like it's not quite right, I've had this too with a BadAss before - a quick go with a ROUND file (although this may be contrary to advice elsewhere) and it was sorted.

I don't think V shaped grooves are good, the string will not be in contact with enough of the saddle, vs. a rounded shape.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Moos3h' post='680750' date='Dec 10 2009, 10:36 PM']Deffo sounding like it's not quite right, I've had this too with a BadAss before - a quick go with a ROUND file (although this may be contrary to advice elsewhere) and it was sorted.

I don't think V shaped grooves are good, the string will not be in contact with enough of the saddle, vs. a rounded shape.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

I must admit, intuitively I've never thought the V shape is a good thing... although... I've had no trouble with my badass, nor have I had any trouble with the vintage spiral fender bridge.

Have you tried raising the saddle a touch?

Raising the saddle makes it sound OK briefly, then the mushiness returns after a few minutes of playing as the string settles in. I'll try widening the slot slightly - I have some needle files in a drawer somewhere. If that doesn't do it, I guess it must be the string. Anyone know where I can buy single Chromes?
If it is the saddle slot, it's odd that the E string is fine, as that is even more of a mismatch for the slots.

On a Badass the saddles sit in a slot, so if one of the adjusting screws is not sitting on the bridge ie not supporting the saddle, the saddle can appear to be sitting ok but it won't be sonically linked as it should be, try very small turns of each screw to see if they raise and lower the saddles, and if all's well I think get a new string.

definately try another string
this sounds like my strings when they are old and i take them off to do a little job on the bass
when they go on they sound bright again and then die almost within minutes

the badass really should do the opposite to what you experience

twisting a string when refitting can alter its performance...thats why new is always the criteria for assessment
you are then fitting a string with no previous witness points or twisting it to get the string at the tuner end to line up

Before you go recutting the bridge, check that the A string has enough wraps on the tuning post to force the string down on the nut to give a decent break angle. Fender-type necks & headstocks are notorious for the A string only just floating on top of the nut groove & giving poor/false notes. You probably want at least three full turns on the peg. I always leave a bit extra length when winding on an A to a Fender-type.

Also, assuming that there *is* ample tension & break angle on the nut, check that the groove on the nut is properly cut clean and at a downward angle toward the tuners. I've had a couple of instruments where this made all the difference.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Is this happening on the open note? or every note? if its every note it could be the string or something to do with the bridge saddle. if its only the open note my guess is its something to do with the nut slot angle or break angle.

Bridge wise:
break angle is important too is the seating of the string in the groove.

Hope all these comments are helping!

Jack