Why become a member? ×

M9 Gas

steve

gassing for an M9, but I can't decide if I really need one - hopefully someone will have some opinions of how it performs on bass in a band situation

I've heard samples of some of the more 'esoteric' models, but I wanted to know -

can it do a reasonable gated fuzz a la woolly mammoth? (the facial fuzz model maybe?)

what about drive, grit and grunt effects?

tia

[quote name='steve' post='677372' date='Dec 7 2009, 11:49 PM']gassing for an M9, but I can't decide if I really need one - hopefully someone will have some opinions of how it performs on bass in a band situation

I've heard samples of some of the more 'esoteric' models, but I wanted to know -

can it do a reasonable gated fuzz a la woolly mammoth? (the facial fuzz model maybe?)

what about drive, grit and grunt effects?

tia[/quote]

It really is a great unit, i thoroughly enjoy using it just as much as my band enjoys hearing it. I love a couple of fuzz sounds that i tweaked with for agggess, but generally speaking they're not GREAT, certainly not as good as the delays, reverbs, modulations etc.

[quote name='TheButler' post='677376' date='Dec 7 2009, 11:55 PM']It really is a great unit, i thoroughly enjoy using it just as much as my band enjoys hearing it. I love a couple of fuzz sounds that i tweaked with for agggess, but generally speaking they're not GREAT, certainly not as good as the delays, reverbs, modulations etc.[/quote]

If it's possible to get [i]some [/i]decent fuzz/drive sounds then that sounds quite promising

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='677390' date='Dec 8 2009, 12:22 AM']You can come try mine if you want sometime.

These units are great they do so much and sound so great.

Just can't go wrong with them[/quote]

cheers Ste - I'll take you up on that when my ACG arrives, then you can try out the preamp if you still not had the chance

I think what would REALLY sell this pedal board to me is if you were able to mix two channels ala the X3 in parallel. for example, on my X3 live I mix a clean compressed mono bass tone with a seperate dirty channel, thus no matter what ever type of distortion I select in a patch, the core bass tone stays the same. I apply any stereo effects / modulation to the dirty channel, which also features a high pass filter, thus - no effects get in the way of the bottom end.

I know that the M9 has some EQ models etc and this ability would have me snapping one up in no time. - Having said that - the X3 Live isn't an expensive unit and there's no reason why I shouldn't keep hold of it - if only for it's ability as a recording interface.

Now - if the X3 Live was available in a 1u rack... that would be a great idea!

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='678578' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:32 PM']+1 or even a 2u like the Pod XT pros. The 3u X3 pro is just stupidly big IMHO.[/quote]

Ahhh yeh, the Pro is a great big stonking box, no doubt mostly full of fresh air! especially if they can fit all the same processing power on the bean. I'd have been tempted to mount the Bean unit on a rack shelf, if it at least had a MIDI socket on it.

[quote name='burno70' post='678906' date='Dec 9 2009, 11:21 AM']I really like the Fuzzes on the M9. It's the Octaver and Wah's which disappoint for me.

Still a seriously good unit though and well worth the money.[/quote]

The Pi Fuzz is very useful, you're right they aren't as bad as some make out. Really though the delays, 'verbs and some of the modulations are amazing.

One thing to consider is that there is a little bottom end drop with the M9 fuzzes and they wont really gate in themselves; but perhaps if you added a filter to one of the other patches it might give that sound. Its amazing apart from that. I sold all my previous effects and got one and a prunes and custard. My Rig now goes Bass - Prunes&Custard - M9 - Malekko Echo 900 Bright (for crazy oscillation) and its the happiest i've been with an effects rig ever. Plus I can fit it all on a smaller board which means less back breaking labour to go to rehearsals/gigs.

Edited by absolutpepper

[quote name='burno70' post='681345' date='Dec 11 2009, 01:57 PM']You sure? I'm not hearing that.[/quote]

100%, i've tried it with my Warwick Corvette Standard, Rickenbacker 4003 and Dan Armstrong ADA4. On its own its fine but when i'm playing with a full band it gets lost. Im sure they'll address it with the updates but for the time being I wont be using any fuzzes for bass on this - I'll just stick with the Prunes and Custard.

I messed around with the fuzzes and distortions, and while none of them sounded great to my ears, I could get some servicable sounds. If I tweaked a bit more, I'm sure it would be possible to find usable sounds. Especially pushing a valve amp. The blend function would be really nice on the distortions though. I've already said that on the Line 6 forum, and put in for a feature request about it. If they're as good as they have been with previous updates, and enough people request it, you might see it. Probably just one new bass distortion model with a blend control I reckon, if we're lucky. There aren't enough knobs spare on most of the distortions to put another perameter in.

But go and request it on their site!

Saying all this, I still use a Hyperpak for my distortion, so make of that what you will.

[quote name='steve' post='683703' date='Dec 14 2009, 09:18 AM']anyone else have any experiences regarding bottom end dropout with fuzz/drive/disto patches? This would be my primary use for it tbh[/quote]

I should say that there are enough great sounds in the pedal that even without a current 'useable' fuzz/od/dirt patch that its still great and really nice for use with a bass. Im sure the updates will improve the situation but until then I am really happy running it with a fuzz in front. It still gets two thumbs up! :)

I use the PI muff and the Jumbo fuzz and both are fine in the mix - although I'm only competing against one guitarist so that may be a factor?

[quote]Saying all this, I still use a Hyperpak for my distortion, so make of that what you will.[/quote]

I think the drives are OK and definately useable - just not great, I still use my Zia Drive.