Why become a member? ×

MIM Fender P 2009

neptunehealer

The Classic 50's P is a really nice bass (with glossed maple neck/fingerboard & anodised gold scratch guard) & the new Standard series P's are pretty nice, but before you spend a lot of hard earned, try the Squier Classic Vibe 60's P in sonic blue. You may be surprised...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='675784' date='Dec 6 2009, 03:34 PM']A couple of references to the 50s classic but worth remebering this is not a standard MIM bass. Expect to pay more & expect a similar jump in quality like what you get with a standard Squier & a VM Squier. I really rate them but not everyone likes the traditional feel[/quote]

Quite true. The 50's model has the wider and thicker neck profile of old, but they are surprisingly comfortable.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='675801' date='Dec 6 2009, 03:50 PM']Quite true. The 50's model has the wider and thicker neck profile of old, but they are surprisingly comfortable.[/quote]

Is there much of a neck dive issue with this model? I've seen them pretty cheap on Stagebeat's site.
Never thought I'd see the day when a Fender was almost as cheap as a Squire!

[quote name='neilb' post='675633' date='Dec 6 2009, 02:09 PM']Thoroughly recommend them.The MIM standards (2009) are so much better than before.

My white jobby with maple board, now with Badass, Wizard Thumper PUP and Schaller tuners

[/quote]

Wow... yours? How much? Is it stock? super...

[quote name='Mog' post='675819' date='Dec 6 2009, 04:16 PM']Is there much of a neck dive issue with this model? I've seen them pretty cheap on Stagebeat's site.
Never thought I'd see the day when a Fender was almost as cheap as a Squire![/quote]

No, it seemed like a lovely balanced bass when I played one. I was thinking of buying the one I played in Grimsby (black/gold/maple) and putting a Wizard Thumper in it for some serious low end!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='675735' date='Dec 6 2009, 03:51 PM']The Classic 50's P is a really nice bass (with glossed maple neck/fingerboard & anodised gold scratch guard) & the new Standard series P's are pretty nice, but before you spend a lot of hard earned, try the Squier Classic Vibe 60's P in sonic blue. You may be surprised...[/quote]

I have to agree that the CV 60s is a super bass but for an extra £100 I would have to seriously consider one of these over that. Sonic blue or not! I think the white and maple has the edge.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='675828' date='Dec 6 2009, 04:24 PM']No, it seemed like a lovely balanced bass when I played one. I was thinking of buying the one I played in Grimsby (black/gold/maple) and putting a Wizard Thumper in it for some serious low end![/quote]
Cool, just the model I was looking at too! Found this on the tube earlier. Classic vibe vs MIM & MIJ Fenders. Really like the sound of the Squire 50's re-issue.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MxTJDUajE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MxTJDUajE[/url]

Edited by Mog

Go for it. I like the simple colour scheme. I have not tried the SD pup, just the Wizard. The bass is light and the finish is great. Just feels "right", if you know what I mean.

Im a huge fan of maple boards. Im after a maple board Jazz next, black maybe?

Probably a 2009 MIM!!!!

Edited by neilb

totally love my mim 50's classic p - the one in my avatar.

I play nothing else! I changed the bridge and scratchplate, now considering pups probably wizard or maybe dimarzio? can't quite make my mind up?? love the hot output from dimarzio but adore the smoothness and bottom end of the wizards.

andy.

[quote name='bh2' post='676092' date='Dec 6 2009, 08:20 PM']Are the stock pups on these new ones no good then? The one/s on my 2002 MIM sound great.[/quote]

No, no! the pups are fine, very fine indeed actually but just a tad too low on output for me.

andy

I brought a 2009 MIM Pbass early this year, only brought new because I wanted a certain colour and maple neck, this was not an option on the MIA, which I am glad of because the MIM I brought is great, I will keep it forever

I have been tempted to change the pickups, but I am not unhappy with whats in it, if they are low, then my gear does enough with it anyway

Cant recommend them enough, Im no expert in basstech, but have owned and played a number of basses since 1987, and this is worth the outlay (or at least amazing value if you can find a 2nd hand one)