Why become a member? ×

Another markbass related question

jim_bass

Hi guys - some advice needed....

I currently play an active Yamaha RBX374 through my Ashdown Klystron 500 Head into an Ashdown Classic Neo Mini 15 cabinet. I really like the sound of the cabinet and also use the on board effects a lot. Compressor stays on permanently at about 10 o'clock and I use the vale drive to play rockier songs, then turn it off for a cleaner sound. I like the sound of the amp and cabinet (occasionally wonder whether the mini 48 might add a bit more middle/top to the sound - but thats a little off topic).

Anyway, heres the dilemma. I had a hernia operation in January which the doc reckons was probably caused by lugging PA every weekend. I thought it was ok, but it has recurred, so looks like I'll be back to hospital in the new year for a second operation. I now have a really nice sounding amp and cab that I cant lift.

I think the amp weights about 16-18kg and the cab weighs 21kg.

The setup I'm thinking about changing to is a Squier classic vibe jazz (cos I'm fed up with mucking around with batteries on my active bass) and maybe a Markbass LMII/LMIII (2.9kg) into a Traveller 2x10 cab (15kg).

I've played a jeff berlin combo and really liked it, but was concerned that it would sound too clinical. Not sure how the jazz would sound. I want to be able to get a dirties sound when needed, but didn't want to add loads of pedal to the mix. I'm guessing I'd probably have to look at adding a compressor pedal and maybe a drive pedal aswell - but lots o smaller this will be easier for me to lift than a few heavy things.

Alos, will a jazz bass be heavier to play than my yamaha - I have to play standing up and it can be painful at the moment.

What do you think people? Will I be happy with the change of amp? Do you have any other suggestions?

[quote name='umph' post='666920' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:55 PM']lift with your knees not your back, that stuffs not that heavy.[/quote]

Just to clarify - the hernia was not caused lifting the amp, but lifting all the other PA- amp, rack, speakers, piano etc etc. I just want to make life easier and stop the problem recurring.

[quote name='jim_bass' post='666929' date='Nov 27 2009, 12:03 AM']Just to clarify - the hernia was not caused lifting the amp, but lifting all the other PA- amp, rack, speakers, piano etc etc. I just want to make life easier and stop the problem recurring.[/quote]
oh right fair, if it could seriously cause you problems i'd explain this to your band i'm sure they'd wouldn't mind if it meant you still being able to play with them. The markbass may be a good idea anyway with the smaller cab i'm guessing it'd be a similar sound to the rig you have at the minute.

[quote name='umph' post='666952' date='Nov 27 2009, 12:24 AM']oh right fair, if it could seriously cause you problems i'd explain this to your band i'm sure they'd wouldn't mind if it meant you still being able to play with them. The markbass may be a good idea anyway with the smaller cab i'm guessing it'd be a similar sound to the rig you have at the minute.[/quote]

The band are good, and are doing all the lifting (including my amp), but it feels awkward no being able to help out. I don't want to look like a jerk!

Anyway, I was just looking at a sansamp bass driver DI. Not sure how good it would sound into a markbass head?

I have the combo version of what you're thinking of getting & it weighs 20kg & can be carried with one hand. If you need a clean sound, keep the input level on the head down & increase the output level. If you need a dirtier sound, increase the input level & keep the output level down.
I tend to keep the input so the clip light hardly ever comes on & use my murf to get some analogue overdrive.

I can't see why the sansamp wouldn't do the job.

Jim Bass....

I own a LM2 and struggled for an age to get the sound I wanted.
This was instantly cured by using a Sansamp 'VT' pedal.

Although the MarkBass is not overly clinical (IMO) it does lack a certain something that a tube adds to the sound.

I also own an ABM500 and can get the same sound out of either amp.

[quote]Anyway, I was just looking at a sansamp bass driver DI. Not sure how good it would sound into a markbass head?[/quote]

I've used one of these with my MarkBass rig and it sounds ace.

I've got a MB 1x15 and the traveller 2x10, I've used just the 2x10 at smaller jams and the only issue I have is that there is an obvious lack of depth and punch compared with using the 1x15. It's fine to use as a monitor on stage or at rehearsals but if this is your main output I'm not sure it would be beefy enough.

After years of hauling around an SVT and various Peavey monsters I too had to have a hernia (the lower one) operation. For my gigging purposes I got a LMII and Schroeder 1212L. Incredibly lightweight for the sound you get. I mainly play 70's P basses and a Squire Jazz through the rig and I can get it sounding thick and dirty as you like. I really recommend this set up as do others around here.

hi guys read with interest the discussion so far. Seems like everyone is investing a lot of time and money in getting 'that' sound that's just right, but potentially sacrificing our health from lugging the kit around.

Although there sometimes is no solution to hauling the rig in and out of the car, the carrying can be severely reduced over a distance in many cases through the use of a lightweight sackbarrow or trolley.

I know it seems kind of obvious, but no-one seems to have mentioned it yet. I only endorse this approach as it offers us a chance to pursue our passion without potentially damaging our health, thereby allowing us to keep rockin' for longer.

strength to you all