Why become a member? ×

Squire Vintage Vibe, Vintage modified

The Marlin

Hi Chaps,

I've heard fantastic things about the Squire Vintage Vibe guitars, and Vintage Modified basses. They're made in china, but reminiscent of Fender Japan gear - great quality and playability. I'm making a pilgramage to GAK on Monday lunch to try out the white Vintage Vibe Telecaster, and the Vintage Modified Jazz bass. The bass looks fantastic, very retro - lookie here! [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-/71293"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-/71293[/url]

Has anyone tried these out? I've heard that these are as well built as the USA Fender bass and guitars, and the equiptment levels are decent. And, GAK are doing them for a smidgen over £200, bargain.

Any thoughts, suggestions before I empty my wallet?

Cheers

Mr Marlin

Mine plays really nice, no complaints there.

One word of warning: Like most Squiers and Fenders, you'll probably want to replace most of the hardware if you're planning to gig it, so factor that cost in.

I went to take the jack out of my Squier Jazz in rehearsals the other night and the whole effing control plate came off with it. I don't know if it's because the body is the softest wood they could find or if they originally put the screws in with a hammer, but either way I wasn't impressed. I filled the holes and re-tapped the screws this afternoon.

The bridge and tuners have already been replaced on mine, the pickups are next.

Edited by thisnameistaken

i tried the classic vibe tele out when getting a new guitar last month, eventually plumped for the vintage modified tele with the twin p90s cause it sounded ace but i'd say that the cv tele had hands down the BEST neck i've ever played on a sub £800 guitar. great value.

Edited by ase_one23

I have a VMJ.

The only thing I dislike is the pups, they're very dark. However, it's a really well put together bit of kit.

There not Chinese either like the Op thinks, either Indonesian or Korean (I can't remember which). And the other ones are the Classic Vibe series (not Vintage Vibe like the op says). Personally, spec wise the Classic Vibe has the edge, has a better nut and a High Mass Bridge but considering the price is pretty much the same, it's just finding one that works for you.