Why become a member? ×

Will 2 neck Jazz pickups sound like a neck and bridge?

umcoo

Hi folks, I've been searching for some rare Jazz pickups for ages, and found some! But, they're both the neck pickup. I just wanted to know if there's any difference between the actual pickups themselves, or does the sound come more from the position on the bass?

Hope that makes sense

Cheers m'dears!

[quote name='Moos3h' post='666298' date='Nov 26 2009, 03:00 PM']I think the bridge pickup is usually wider to accomodate the string spacing increasing as you get closer to the bridge.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

[quote name='Geek99' post='666318' date='Nov 26 2009, 03:17 PM']Yes correct. The bridge pup is also taller.[/quote]

Both generally true depending on model. I also think you'll find they have different windings - and therefore different output - to accomodate the different string vibration dynamics between bridge (low vibration) and mid/neck (larger vibration). I've run a neck PUP at the bridge and it sounded fine, however, and again depending on model, I suspect a bridge PUP at the neck might not be so easy both in terms of physical size and output.

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='666447' date='Nov 26 2009, 04:53 PM']Are these any particular make? I mention it because I may be able to offer a trade - one of the neck pair for a bridge one I am likely to have in my spares box.[/quote]

Bass Doc to the rescue once again! Do you have a white vehicle with a flashing blue light and a siren packed full of vintage bass parts Howard :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='666453' date='Nov 26 2009, 04:56 PM']Bass Doc to the rescue once again! Do you have a white vehicle with a flashing blue light and a siren packed full of vintage bass parts Howard :)[/quote]

I offer a choice of blue, green or red flashing lights depending on the ones fitted to the customers Fender amp.

Well the ones I'm looking at are on ebay at the moment and finish at 4am on Monday morning. So I don't definitely have them. The pups I'm looking at are Schecter Monstertones. They're rounded at the edges and have no covers so you can see the copper. Got any lying around Doctor?

[quote name='umcoo' post='666618' date='Nov 26 2009, 07:26 PM']Well the ones I'm looking at are on ebay at the moment and finish at 4am on Monday morning. So I don't definitely have them. The pups I'm looking at are Schecter Monstertones. They're rounded at the edges and have no covers so you can see the copper. Got any lying around Doctor?[/quote]

HAS THE BASS DOC MET HIS MATCH.........................................................................................?

I'll hazard a guess and say 'yes'. I think I'm destined never to have a set of them. There's some in Sweden, but the shop never ever replied to me, even when I was gagging to throw money at them. 2nd set I found were from the states and I'm still waiting for them. They were sent in April, so should be here any day now!

And now I've found 2 neck ones. Maybe I should just give up!

[quote name='Beedster' post='666623' date='Nov 26 2009, 07:29 PM']HAS THE BASS DOC MET HIS MATCH.........................................................................................?[/quote]

'Fraid so.....I do however remember these pickups from way back and I wouldn't get too enthusiastic about them. Their method of fixing (screws on the lower former only) can lead to warping and consequential damage to the coils. The performance is fairly average and can be equalled by so many conventional units that are currently on the market.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='666693' date='Nov 26 2009, 08:31 PM']'Fraid so.....I do however remember these pickups from way back and I wouldn't get too enthusiastic about them. Their method of fixing (screws on the lower former only) can lead to warping and consequential damage to the coils. The performance is fairly average and can be equalled by so many conventional units that are currently on the market.[/quote]

Bass Doc 1
Schechter Monstertones 0

Haha.

I'm still tempted to keep an eye out for some as I've got a bass similar to the guy from Weezer and they were the pickups he had. I just hope they won't start going for stupid money because they're 'golden era' Schecter stuff. Cheers for the help folks. Think I'll pass on the 2 neck pups :)