Why become a member? ×

F/T or possible sale rare(ish) 1979 Ibanez Roadster

jmstone

Looking to sell or trade a fantastic 1979 Ibanez RS800 Roadster. The guitar has a good tone and excellent action and everything works as it should. There is no fret wear I can see. It is in sunburst, but there are quite a fewscuffs and chips on the finish. The original knobs have been lost, but I replaced these. Also one of the original buttons was missing, and I have replaced both with schaller-compatible buttons. I can include the one original button I have with it. I also fitted some new rotosound Jazz Flats and set the intonation and action. Since that time, I have only played it twice!

Although it's a great bass, with great mojo, I am finding that I am playing my Streamer almost exclusively, and I don't really seem to get on so well with the vintage feel of the Ibby. I would be most interested in trades/part exchange of any kind (quite keen to try a Precision or Jazz, but anything really). I live in North London, and I think collection would be the best way to go, as I have no idea about how to package guitars for posting. I can drive a reasonable distance if need be. I would prefer to trade this, but open to cash offers.

I haven't got my digital camera to hand, but here are some pics from before I cleaned it up/added knobs etc.

Edit: price would be £180

Edited by jmstone

Thanks for all the posts so far. Still considering the options..

Just in case people are wondering, I think the guitar is worth around 200 or less, so that makes a straight swap with a Squier, money your way for a MIM, more for a CIJ, or much more for a MIA. If you live in/near London, so much the better.

I don't think this should lose value too quickly (more likely to appreciate), so it shouldn't be too difficult to move on if you don't get on with it.

James

[quote name='stu_g' post='666403' date='Nov 26 2009, 04:21 PM']original brochure from 1979[/quote]

Thanks for posting that - useful and interesting. Love that twin-neck guitar....

and here's a quick bump-eroonie...

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='669313' date='Nov 29 2009, 06:26 PM']Thanks for posting that - useful and interesting. Love that twin-neck guitar....

and here's a quick bump-eroonie...[/quote]
If you're interested in such things (and who isn't? :)) Ibanez have a massive archive of catalogues, brochures & flyers, going right back to the 50s on their Japanese site:

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/index.html"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/index.html[/url]

I think some of the dating (particularly of the 70s copies) may be a little suspect, but if you're as autistically obsessed with this stuff as I am, this will eat up hours of your life.

Jon.

[quote name='jmstone' post='667027' date='Nov 27 2009, 07:17 AM']Thanks for all the posts so far. Still considering the options..

Just in case people are wondering, I think the guitar is worth around 200 or less, so that makes a straight swap with a Squier, money your way for a MIM, more for a CIJ, or much more for a MIA. If you live in/near London, so much the better.

I don't think this should lose value too quickly (more likely to appreciate), so it shouldn't be too difficult to move on if you don't get on with it.

James[/quote]

It's a shame the bridge is not original and the control knobs are missing. If it was complete, original and in excellent condition I'd snatch your hand off for £200!

[quote name='zephead' post='671790' date='Dec 2 2009, 07:17 AM']It's a shame the bridge is not original and the control knobs are missing. If it was complete, original and in excellent condition I'd snatch your hand off for £200![/quote]

Wow! Didn't know the bridge was non-original! Are you certain?

[quote name='FlatEric' post='671802' date='Dec 2 2009, 08:11 AM']Don't panic.
The bridge is original - same as mine.
Some had round saddles and some square.
Why, I don't know. :)[/quote]
+1, and to confirm:

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/42/4.jpg"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/42/4.jpg[/url]

Brass saddles of this vintage will have tarnished horribly & are a bugger to clean. Original knobs for this are Sure-Grip 1s - basically speed knobs with a knurled rubber band around the top. These can sell for ludicrous amounts of money on their own.

The crazy world of vintage Ibanez collecting, eh? :rolleyes:

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, no real interest in this one in terms of local trades, so I decided to keep it - spent the weekend shielding the control cavity, then added some new DR Extra Life strings and a Comfor Strap - and it is absolutely fantastic - no more buzz/interferance, and a super - sweet tone, and with the new strap, completely wearable for lengthy periods!

So glad the trades didn't work out! :)